Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 533MHz DDR2 on Gigabyte GA-EP45C-DS3R

Default 533MHz DDR2 on Gigabyte GA-EP45C-DS3R

Hi All,

I Have a Gigabyte GA-EP45C-DS3R motherboard and some old 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM PC2-4200.

I am currently tight on budget and was planning on getting a 60 Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 for now and not upgrade the ram as the FSB of this processor is 800MHz which I understand equates to 533 MHz ram. This in theory means I should be able to use my existing ram with the CPU, but the motherboard manual says the minimum supported ram is 667 MHz.

Should I be able to use my existing ram or will the motherboard just not have it. If so would overclocking the bus clock to 333 MHz push the ram to 667MHz or will that just fry my ram.

I know DDR2 ram is now dirt cheap, but given that the motherboard can take DDR3 RAM as well I was planing in waiting a year until quad core CPUs drop under 100 and then upgrading both CPU and RAM. I've already got way to much old hardware I don't use around the house and would rather not by some RAM I know I'm going to retire in a year.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: 533MHz DDR2 on Gigabyte GA-EP45C-DS3R

You can run your ram just fine with that board and CPU, the specs are just the "Official Rated" meaning they did not spend time to test 533 ram likely since the board is of newer tech then that type of ram and is most often used with 800+ ram.

It will run just fine, if your CPU is at stock 200 FSB then you would need to use the 2.66C Memory Multi for 533Mhz

And yes, you could run your CPU at 333 FSB, with some tweaking of course to get that CPU Overclock stable, the ram multi you would use then would be 2.00B for 667Mhz. You of course need to factor in if you think your ram will do 667Mhz or not, some will some will not it just depends on the quality of the ram, timings you set, and voltages you are willing to use.

So, yes, either way that ram will work for you.

Well at least that ram speed will, ram compatibility is another factor not mentioned. Some ram just will not work sometimes, no matter the speed. All you can do is test it and see what happens. The speed of 533Mhz itself is for sure supported, see here I clocked down my ram for you on my GA-EP45-DS4P (Which specs are the same as your board, only supports DDR2 1333+/1066/800/667) >>>

Default Re: 533MHz DDR2 on Gigabyte GA-EP45C-DS3R

Wow, I can't begin to say how grateful I am for your reply, you've even taken the time to underclock your own mobo and ram.

I wasn't planning on doing any overclocking if I could help it, but I think It's bitten my appetite and I might give it a try. My memory is branded as Crucial so hopefully It will prove reliable and not give me any nasty surprises.

Speaking of "Official Rated" specks, your reply got me thinking that an old socket 775 3.2GHz pentium 4 I had might work on the board as well even though it is not listed as supported on gigabyte's website so I gave It a go. I've had no luck the board simply powers off as soon as the processor activity LED's light up on the mobo. Any chance there might be a way around this or is there a fundamental hardware constraint that means the cpu just won't work.

Anyway, thanks again for your help

Chopo

Thread Information