Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate my rig!! (corei7)

Default I hate my rig!! (corei7)

I don't know what to do anymore..... I bought a Mugen 2 for my corei7 (on UD5), I mounted it ...stock speed around 38/38/38/38 idle.... to high for my taste (this was with coolpaste which came with cooler)

Bought arctic silver 5...applied a really small amount and know what....idle 41/41/37/37...FTW!!! My temps went up....and only on core 1 and 2.

There is really no way to get my system any cooler. let alone try to overclock the bunch!
    I am so angry.... to mount the Mugen I have to disassamble my complete computer, have done it twice now and it didn't help me at all...the stockcooler gave me almost the same temps!

They say temps will go down because coolpaste needs to 'burn' in.. have to see about that.....
    (btw case is antec p182 with 3 case fans...should be enough)

Default Re: I hate my rig!! (corei7)

You better download RealTemp 3.00 (Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring)
    and do the sensor test so you would know if you have core sensor(s) stuck.
    BTW this is very common for intel core i7 and quads.
    And you would not get much temp drop in idle, the full load is where the difference will be visible. Also consider switch to non-conductive thermal paste.
    GA-X48T-DQ6 [rev: 1.3], Bios F6e (replacement of GA-EP45T-UD3P [rev: 1.0])
    Q9550 (E0), Zalman CNPS9500 Cooler
    2x2GB Kingston HyperX [KHX13000D3LLK2/2G] 1.7V DDR3-1333 @7-7-7-20
    Gainward Bliss 8800GT, 2x1TB HDD Samsung SATA-2, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850W PSU

Ya, how long has it been? AS5 will only drop a few C for idle after setting though. I bet then the idle temps will be a tad better compared to the original paste. I can't comment on the non-conductive paste.

To me, those idles aren't terrible though. I still have an E6600 which idles 37c at stock and 40c-43c @ 3ghz... That could make you feel better. From what I've read I bet that thing will be blazing when you close in on 3.8 ghz however.

What's your ambient temp?

Yea those idle temps aren't bad man. i7's run a lil hotter from what I hear anyways. Chill out, give it a little juice and overclock her and see how she does.
    HP LP2465w 24"; Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (F9b)
    Q9550 ?, 8 Gb G.Skill
    1.5 * 2 Seagate 7200.11 in Raid 1
    HIS ATI Radeon 4870
    Creative X-fi Fatal1ty Champion
    PCP&C Silencer 750
    Coolermaster Wavemaster Case

But how do you explain that with no overclock at all my temps jump up to 81/81/73/73 when running prime95

strange thing is that my first 2 cores are 9 C hotter!
    Also no matter how hard my fan blows...it won't drop at all.

After I quit prime my temps won't drop back to the low 40-ies but hover around 49/49/44/44

I guess there is only one thing to do....remount the bloody Mugen-2 AGAIN.... now the big question...more or less AS5?

I wouldn't use any more than the size of a BB of AS5 and when you set the HS down, move it back and forth on top of the CPU a little to flatten the AS5 out some before you bolt it down.

I guess you could have an uneven CPU or HS plate that could be causing two cores to be uneven as well as the spikes. I've never lapped either one myself, too skuRRed to.

Default Re: I hate my rig!! (corei7) (less now)

Well.... after looking at my temps I did decide to remount the cooler again (I become quite handy in dis-assembling my pc and rebuilding it again :-))

A good clean with Aceton, one line of AS5 (as described by their site) AND BEHOLD......33/33/32/32 idle at stock speed... now it's time to do some overclocking (and have some beer to celibrate )
    If I understand it correctly the temps could come down a few degrees..then I would be extremly happy!!

Congrats. Yea I've OC'd (a few hours) just after a fresh AS5 application and went back to stock and seen the idle temp drop. My guess is that the heat expedited the process.

EDIT: acetone eh? heh, thats scarey too. I always use alcohol and probably a lil more elbow grease.
    Last edited by dblade; 04-18-2009 at 02:52 AM.

Overclocked to 3.5 Ghz and with prime95 (8 threads) I now see more healthy temps like 82/82/83/83.

Of course too hot but in normal use you won't have 100% load on 4+4 cores.
    If I limit prime95 to 4 threads temps drop to low 70-ies.
    More happy every minute :-)

But what is wrong with Aceton? It is a good cleaner and leaves hardly any residue.

I won't argue that; it is a good cleaner, no residue, evaporates real quick, all that jazz. Acetone can dissolve plastics so it's risky around motherboard, case parts etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information