Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: RAM(?) related issues with DS3R

Unhappy RAM(?) related issues with DS3R

I'm very close to replacing my GA-EP45C-DS3R with another manufacturer's board but I'm willing to give anything a try at this point. This mobo worked fine for about a month for me using factory BIOS settings before random BSOD's started cropping up, mostly IRQ and memory management related. I would run a mem checker and it would report problems but if I power cycled the mem checker would report all clear. I would also have issues starting up the computer, a lot of hanging before loading windows and sometimes messages such as "loading backup bios". I suspected I had a bad mobo.

I have used all of the tools provided in the overclocking thread to test RAM and stress test the system. I have never actually overclocked anything though, I have only ever used optimized or failsafe defaults. The stress tests caused no BSOD's. RAM checked out OK unless it was checked right after a BSOD. Everything stays in a good temp. range during stress tests (this would be a great system). The BSOD's just occur at random, usually while no one is using the computer.

I started out with 4 gigs of Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800. Gigabyte told me the RAM was the issue and not the mobo. I RMA'd the RAM with no effect. Finally I bought new RAM - 2x2g G.Skill DDR2 1066. The system will not even boot with this RAM. Once in a while I am able to get into the BIOS settings but it usually hangs while in the BIOS. I tried each stick individually. I know others on here have used G. Skilll RAM without issues, that's why I chose it.

I am being told, again, that I have bad RAM. That's right, I have had a total of six bad sticks of RAM in a row. I dont think that's statistically possible. Can anyone help me or is it time to purchase a new mobo? I can at least get the system to boot with the Crucial but I am so tired of the random BSOD's. Also I cant imagine I'd have to change BIOS settings to get the G. Skill to work, wouldnt factory defaults at least allow you to get into the BIOS without the system hanging? If not how would you change the BIOS settings in the first place?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: RAM(?) related issues with DS3R

Please give me the model # of your G.Skills and let me know if you have 2x1, 2x2, ect

Also give me the model # of your Crucial's are they the new 2.0V rated ones? They should be since you RMA'd them unless you asked for 2.2V ones as there was a design flaw in the 2.2V sticks and they have revamped the whole lineup to the new 2.0V design with new IC Chips.

Both Should be fine in your board, although the DDR2/DDR3 boards are very finicky and problematic at times I do not know of any issues with either of those brands in this board

Please use Optimized defaults, not fail safe as when using that many hidden settings may not be set properly per your hardware.

If you are using more then 2x1GB then you may just need to change some settings. If you are just using 2x1GB some settings may still need changed/set as Auto may or may not set things correctly.

Once I have more info I can give you a full set of settings that should get you going, if your board is indeed ok

Some of the bios releases for that board address ram issues with compatibility

Default settings aren't always the best. In fact, for ram clocked over 800 mhz they often can be wrong. Its best you manually go in there and follow the manufacturers ram settings, which means you usually want to set a 333 mch latch, a 2.00B sys multiplier, and 2.1v for the dimms and punch in the loosest timings the ram are stated to run with.

You should also try booting with just one stick when troubleshooting.

In addition, a make sure your cpu and mch have enough voltage. running it at 1.3v volts is within specs and may grant you the extra stability you need for cold booting. even if its not the cpu or the mch, going 1.3 v for both cpu vpr will ensure the problem doesn't lie with those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Please give me the model # of your G.Skills and let me know if you have 2x1, 2x2, ect
    F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK, 2 x 2 GB (Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory)

Also give me the model # of your Crucial's are they the new 2.0V rated ones? They should be since you RMA'd them unless you asked for 2.2V ones as there was a design flaw in the 2.2V sticks and they have revamped the whole lineup to the new 2.0V design with new IC Chips.
    Crucials are "bl2kit25664al804". I got the exact same RAM type as I sent in, at least that's what they told me. It was last Oct. that RMA happened so I probably still have the 2.2v. Boy, I've been working on this a lot longer than I thought.

After I RMA'd the RAM I replaced other things like the power supply, the main hard drive, etc. The Crucial is also 2 x 2 GB. I always suspected the Crucial was crap based on all the problems everyone had with it, which is why I finally decided to change it out for something else.

If I could get this to work with the G Skill AND the Crucial that would be great, that's probably a pipe dream.

My processor is a Q9550. I have upgraded to the latest BIOS listed on this site.

Thread Information