Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: X58 Boards - Why no QPI 18x?

Default X58 Boards - Why no QPI 18x?

First-time overclocker, but I've been trying to learn as much as possible with my shiny new i7 920/EX58-UD4P :)

I've been scouring some forums and it seems that some other manufacturers offer an 18x or 24x QPI multiplier. Why don't any of the Gigabyte X58 boards have these options? The lowest we get is 36x...

I think I am QPI limited with my current overclock (want to keep it at nominal voltages to take advantage of power-saving technologies), so lower QPI multiplier would be AWESOME!

BTW, any reason not to have finer grained QPI multiplier control?

***UPDATE***:

Well it looks like I found the thread here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/mist...i-speed-31321/

So Gigabyte's 36x is actually the 18x multiplier...

Is 18x the lowest allowed on the i7-920's then?
    Last edited by demonsavatar; 04-18-2009 at 08:28 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: X58 Boards - Why no QPI 18x?

X36 QPI is x18 QPI As you found

Ya that is the lowest on the 920 and 965's as well, the 965's do have one in the middle the 920's do not offer though.

QPI of x36 should not be holding you back at all, but as far as lowering to save energy I don't know how that would help much but I guess it might?

You could always try the "SLOW" setting, I been scared to even try to boot it

Thread Information