Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding RAID 1 array

Default Rebuilding RAID 1 array

I have installed 2 1 TB WD1001FALS drives in a RAID 1 array on a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. The drives are attached to the yellow SATA Ports 0 and 1 on the Intel Controller. The RAID array was setup by going through the configuration utility (Ctrl-I). Everything seemed to be working correctly. I installed Windows Vista 64 without a problem. It did not require a driver during installation of the OS. Under My Computer the drive has the name I assigned under the configuration utility and reads as one drive with the correct size. The only drivers I installed were the Intel chipset drivers from Gigabyte website, the Realtek LAN drivers from Realtek's website and the latest driver for my video card from EVGA's website.

I then decided to test the array. I removed the power and SATA cable from one drive. Upon booting the RAID array had a status of "degraded" but booted into windows normally. I then copied 2 files to the desktop. I then reconnected the power and SATA cable to the second drive. Upon rebooting the status now says "rebuild". Entering the configuration utility shows a message at the bottom that says array is rebuilt from within the OS. I exited and continued to boot into windows (which now takes longer) and have no way of knowing whether any rebuilding is occuring.

Is rebuilding a RAID 1 mirrored array something the OS does automatically in the background or is it a manual process? If it is a manual process, what drivers/utilities do I need to download and install to rebuild my RAID array? Should I have installed the Intel SATA RAID driver from Gigabyte's website? I've seen reference to a Intel Matrix utility. Is that something I need?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by LazyDawg; 04-20-2009 at 02:29 AM.

Default Re: Rebuilding RAID 1 array

I use Intel's Matrix manager to see the status of the rebuild.

Download Search Results

Do you use Intel's Matrix Manager to rebuild the RAID array or just to see the status? Do I need to install the SATA RAID drivers from Gigabyte's website?

grishkafool,

I was told in another thread that the GSATA ports should not be used because of the performance hit you take do to poor drivers for that chipset. A little research on the web seemed to indicate that this is correct. I orginally started with the RAID 1 array setup on the GSATA ports but decided to start over and recreate the array on the yellow sata ports using the Intel controller.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyDawg View Post
    Do you use Intel's Matrix Manager to rebuild the RAID array or just to see the status? Do I need to install the SATA RAID drivers from Gigabyte's website?
    You would not have a working OS installation if you would not already have drivers for your storage devices. Vista includes drivers for the Intel fakeraid. Those drivers do all the work. Whether Intel provides updated versions of the drivers, I cannot say. The Matrix Manager provides GUI to access the raid subsystem. Since the installation of Matrix Manager is optional, one can guess how important it is for the basic functionality of the ICH raid.

The array starts rebuilding without the Matrix manager but can be controlled from there.
    The nice thing is you can see the progress. It will take muliple hours to rebuild a 1 Terrabyte array. I also use the Gigabyte controller in RAID 1 which is really a JMicron JMB36X controller but I use the drivers from Jmicron and I have seen no performance problems as far as I know.

The Vista drivers work fine for the Intel controller.

mv2devnull,

That's what I assumed. But since I couldn't find anything in Vista to indicate whether the RAID array was working properly and that it was actually rebuilding my array, I thought maybe I was missing another driver that would give that functionality. The fewer drivers I have to install the better. So there is no place under Vista that I could see this RAID info without installing outside utilities like Matrix Manager? Thanks.

pbcopter,

My computer went into hibernation after an hour, would it still be rebuilding the array in this sleep mode? As far as using the Gigabyte controller I was just going by what I was told in this forum. I didn't recall looking at the date on the performance tests I found on the web. It may very well be that the drivers have been updated since then. I'll install Matrix Manager later today and see what I can tell about the RAID array. Thanks.

as indicated in my post I linked to, I couldn't get my Intel ports to RAID. This is an existing installation of VISTA. When I tried, I BSOD'd. Everything seems to work fine as is, only problem is that in the future, when I get a couple more drives and want to change to a RAID 0+1, I will have to completely rebuild everything in order to use the Intel ports.

I get ~40MB/s write speed using the GSata ports, considering I am using 5400rpm, low energy drives for my RAID 1, I am happy with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex St. John
    Consider for a moment that what we think of as “intelligence” is the byproduct of a computing architecture that depends on massive parallelism to interact with the world in real time without stalling for progress bars. If our ancestors’ brains had depended on running Vista on current dual-core processors for their survival, they would have been eaten by bears.

Best Quote Ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101
    Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
    Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

It won't rebuild if it is asleep or hibernated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information