Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Pcie Bus Question

Default Pcie Bus Question

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbee and I just finished my first build as follows:

Motherboard: EP45-UD3R V1.1 F6 Bios
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400 3.0Ghz 1333 FSB
    Memory: 4Gb (2X2 Gb) G.Skill DDR2-1066 PC8500
    Hard Disk: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 St350041AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
    Video Graphics: Gforce 8800GS 384 MB DDR 3
    Power Supply: Enermax EG45P-VE FMAII V2.2 460 W
    Optical Drive: Liteon Internal SATA DVD/CD Writer Model iHAS422-08 8
    Case: Coolermax Centurian 534+
    Network: Linksys Wireless-G USB Adapter Model No. WUSB54GC
    Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

The build seemed to go well and everything seems to be working properly but there are some areas of concern. The first thing of possible concern that I noticed was the 1st item on the MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T).

The Robust Graphics Booster is set to AUTO. On the right side there is a help screen. Below is the following:
    Warning: VGA Graphics Card in not guranteed to operate normally. Is this an indication that I do have a problem, or just a warning that using it improperly may cause a problem? I thought the latter but I suspected the former so I began to look for information tha might clarify the isssue.
    Under PC Health Status is the following information:

V.Core 1.88v
    DDR 18V 1.984V
    +3.3 3.328V
    +12V 11.858V
    Current System Temperature 43C
    Current CPU Temperature 45C
    Current CPU Fan Speed 1630
    Current System Fan 1 1243
    Current Power fan 1721

The temps seem a little high. I don't know anything about fan speeds. And the 12V reading is a little low but within .5 margin. I didn't see anything that would help me diagnose the possible problem.

I don't have a lot of experience with diagnostic software but I have used PC Wizard on my old HP pentium 4 computer to monitor performance and obtain information. So I installed that:

The temps were about the same but here's what concerns me.
    +3.3V 3.31
    +5V 5.07
    +12V 0.84 (yikes where did that come from?)

I didn't know anything about it but I decided to check EASY TUNE. The temps and voltage readings were the same as the bios readings.

I went back to PC Wizard to check out the Pcie 2.0 bus information. Here's what I found:

>> PCI-Express Information
    Number of connectors : 1
    >> Bus PCI-Express
    Device : Intel Corporation
    Version : 2.0
    Port : 2
    Physical Slot : #1
    Slot Populated : Yes
    Link Width : x16 (max. x16)
    Link Speed : 0 GB/s
    >> Bus PCI-Express
    Device : PCI Express Port 1
    Version : 1.0
    Port : 1
    Physical Slot : #2
    Slot Populated : No
    Link Width : max. x1
    Link Speed : 2.5 GB/s
    >> Bus PCI-Express
    Device : PCI Express Port 4
    Port : 4
    Link Width : x1 (max. x1)
    >> Bus PCI-Express
    Device : PCI Express Port 5
    Port : 5
    Link Width : x1 (max. x1)
    >> Bus PCI-Express
    Device : Nvidia Corp
    Version : 2.0
    Port : 0
    Link Width : x16 (max. x16)
    Link Speed : 0 GB/s

I don't understand this at all. My board has 1 Pcie 2.0 x16 slott. The Nvidia card is plugged in there. There are 3 pcie x1 slots. Nothing is plugged in to those. And there are 3 PCI slots. Nothing is plugged in there. Why is the PCIE link speed showing 0.0? It should be 5.0

There was also some information on the PCI bus and the Nvidia card showed up there in bus 1, but when I saved the file the information wasn't there.

In the ADVANCED BIOS FEATURES there is an item called Init. Display First. At first boot, this was set to PCI. I later changed it to PEG hoping it would make a difference. It didn't.

I've only changed two other things in the bios
    1. The initial CPU setting was 8.5 with a 9 multiplier. I changed it to 9 with a nine multiplier. I also changed the Dram voltage from 1.8v auto to 2.0v. Otherwise, the machine is set just like the first time it posted.

I know I've written a lot of information, but I'd really like to know if there's something wrong with the pcie bus. I'm concerened about the low .84 12 reading and the 0.0 bus speed reading. Someone please clarify.

Thanks for your response.

Default Re: Pcie Bus Question

If you're not noticing any isntabilites and your PC is as fast as it should be (run 3DMark and compare the result to similar systems) then you don't have an issue.

The VGA warning is normal and is just a warning, not an indication that you have a problem.
    The temps seem fine.
    The 0.84V is a bogues reading, there's no way the PC would be running if there really was 0.84V on that rail. Software readings are very often off and are not to be trusted.

Thanks Nikel020, Do you think the 0.0G/s pcie bus speed reading is a bogus reading as well?
    Motherboard: EP45-UD3R V1.1 F6 Bios
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400 3.0Ghz 1333 FSB
    Memory: 4Gb (2X2 Gb) G.Skill DDR2-1066 PC8500
    Hard Disk: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 St350041AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
    Video Graphics: Gforce 8800GS 384 MB DDR 3
    Power Supply: Enermax EG45P-VE FMAII V2.2 460 W
    Optical Drive: Liteon Internal SATA DVD/CD Writer Model iHAS422-08 8
    Case: Coolermax Centurian 534+
    Network: Linksys Wireless-G USB Adapter Model No. WUSB54GC
    Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

MadMax2911 is offline Member

Why not try downloading speedfan from Major Geeks here |MG| SpeedFan 4.38 there may be another program that they reccomend for this so check here as well in Diagnostic section MajorGeeks.com - Download Freeware and Shareware Computer Utilities. With Speed fan you can monitor fan speed temps and voltages while running tests. I havent gotten Speedfan to work like I expected but it works in its own way and may help you. As for the PCI E bus question first thought is have you tried to google the terms of your question, also try different terms on google. You might try going to PC PITSTOP and running their tests to see if you have the correct drivers installed. This site also checks to see if there are any issues with the way you PC is running (performance wise). good luck in your tests.
    MadMax

Quote Originally Posted by ACISD View Post
    Thanks Nikel020, Do you think the 0.0G/s pcie bus speed reading is a bogus reading as well?
    It has to be bogus, if it were 0.0 GB/s then there would be no connection between the board and the video card and you wouldn't see anything on your screen.

Thread Information