Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: First time Overclocking

Default First time Overclocking

Specs

Q6600
    Xigmatek-1283
    GA-P43-DS3L Bios: F8
    G.Skill 4GB DDR2-800
    Nvidia 9800GT

Memory

Idle temps

I dont exactly plan to overclock now but maybe later in the future.I just need to understand it better before i try.ive been following this guide in overclocking.

HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1

From what i understand since i have the Q6600 ill need to raise the FSB in order to overclock.My goal is to take to 3.0Ghz so i need to put it at 333.Then i need to raise the vcore accordingly to make it stable.For the memory part why do you need to make it at the 1:1 ratio?When doing this arent you decreasing the performance of the memory?

All i understand is upping the FSB, increasing the vcore and setting up the memory.If i do all this and the system isnt stable i dont know how else to go about making it work

Default Re: First time Overclocking

The memory speed is linked to the FSB, so if you icnrease the FSB, you increase the memory speed as well and the memory may not be able to handle that. In you case you should choose a 2.4B memory multiplier to get the memory running at DDR2 800 with a FSB of 333. You may not even need to increase VCore, but if you do you will likely need a setting of 1.35-1.40V in BIOS (this is always lower in Windows which is normal).

Thread Information