Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-P35-DS4 rev 2.1 - slow fans and broken front audio connector?

Default GA-P35-DS4 rev 2.1 - slow fans and broken front audio connector?

I got a new case recently (a Cooler Master CM-690), one that could support a lot more fans than my old one. I have four 120mm case fans: one plugged into my PSU directly via a molex, and the other three connected to the SYS_FAN1, SYS_FAN2, and NB_FAN headers. My CPU and PSU fans are connected to their respective headers as well.

The problem I'm noticing is that, while the fans are supposed to be going at around 1200 rpm, the fans I have plugged into SYS_FAN1 and SYS_FAN2 are only going somewhere between 700-800. I want to lower the temperature inside my case some more so I'd rather have them running at full speed, but I can't figure out how to make it work.

I've already disabled the smart fan control, which is supposed to keep the motherboard from throttling them. I even flashed my BIOS to the latest version, F14c -- no dice. My CPU and PSU fans are running at their maximum speeds, as are the fans connected to the NB_FAN header and directly to the power supply.

There's a similar thread HERE where someone had the opposite problem. I tested out the workaround on the last page using SpeedFan's advanced menu to switch my fans over to software-controlled mode and it worked for SYS_FAN2 but not SYS_FAN1... and even then, I'd much prefer to find a way past this problem that wasn't so hack-ish.Does anyone know why both SYS fan headers are running slower than they should?

For my second problem, the case came with a top-mounted I/O panel and when I plug the audio ports into the front audio connector of the motherboard (using Intel HD audio) neither the microphone nor the headset jacks work. Has anyone else run into this? I don't have any other front panels to test out to see if it's a broken mobo connector or just the panel itself.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

*edit* Oh, this might be relevant: all fans are using 3-pin connectors, except of course for the one I hooked up to the power supply via a molex.
    Last edited by Yoten; 04-24-2009 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Added more info

Default Re: GA-P35-DS4 rev 2.1 - slow fans and broken front audio connector?

Some boards have fan headers that only supply less than 12V by default even when the fan control is disabled. Check the manual about this.
    You can also just get some 3 pin to 4 pin adaptors and run all the fans off the PSU.

Are you sure you connected the front headers correctly? There are two types of headers, AC'97 and HD audio, make sure you got it right.

Default Re: GA-P35-DS4 rev 2.1 - slow fans and broken front audio connector?

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    Some boards have fan headers that only supply less than 12V by default even when the fan control is disabled. Check the manual about this.
    You can also just get some 3 pin to 4 pin adaptors and run all the fans off the PSU.

Are you sure you connected the front headers correctly? There are two types of headers, AC'97 and HD audio, make sure you got it right.
    Thanks for the reply! According to the manual, "Each fan header supplies a +12V power voltage" so I don't think that's the problem. I can just hook them up directly to the PSU like you said as a last resort, but without the motherboard sensors I lose the ability to tell if they start having problems.

The P35-DS4 only has one front audio header, but it supports both AC'97 and HD Audio. I've tried both the AC'97 and HD audio connectors that came with the case's front panel and neither have worked. That said, I don't want to use AC'97 anyway since it doesn't support audio coming from both the front and back ports at the same time.

Thread Information