Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3P Intel SATA Ports

Default GA-EP45-UD3P Intel SATA Ports

Hi again all,

Recently added an Asus Xonar D2X sound card to my system in the only slot that it would fit into.... the lower full length PCIe16 x 8 Lane one.

Since doing this though, I have lost access to two of my Intel SATA Ports... Seems weird? I have 2 x SATA2 WD "Black" 640GB HDDs in the first two ports and 2 x Asus DVD R/W Drives in the next two ports. However, only one of the DVD Burners is detected...

If I move the other Burner to what is effectively port 6, it is then detected but when ports 4 and 5 are used... Nada! Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing before? I had this same arrangement on a GA-X48-DS5 board and everything was detected OK but the board ended up dying a couple of weeks later, so I bought the UD3P as a replacement.

Used to get this sort of behaviour a long time ago when sound cards were added to DX486 flavour boards and manually set interrupts were set incorrectly, etc. First time this has happened in recent years though...

Mal.

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3P Intel SATA Ports

I have the DDR3 version of your board, the GA-EP45T-UD3P. I also have an ASUS Xonar D2X in the second PCIe16 x 8 slot. I haven't had the problem that you are experiencing with the SATA ports though. Are you using AHCI? I am, so maybe that's the difference? Sorry this doesn't really help much, but because I have a similar hardware configuration I thought I would reply.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3P - Intel QX9750 3.16GHz w/ Zalman CNPS9500 - OCZ PC3-10666 Reaper HPC (OCZ3RPR13332GK) x4 - Corsair CMPSU-850TX - Gigabyte GV-N285-1GH-B w/ ThermalRight HR-03 GTX - ASUS Xonar D2X - Zalman MFC1-Plus - Antec P182

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post
    I have the DDR3 version of your board, the GA-EP45T-UD3P. I also have an ASUS Xonar D2X in the second PCIe16 x 8 slot. I haven't had the problem that you are experiencing with the SATA ports though. Are you using AHCI? I am, so maybe that's the difference? Sorry this doesn't really help much, but because I have a similar hardware configuration I thought I would reply.
    G'day Svengali.... :)

Thanks for that info mate, much appreciated. I'm just using standard IDE Mode on the Intel Ports and AHCI on the Gigabyte Ports via External HDDs for backing up, etc.

I've tried to get AHCI working on the Intel Ports via a Repair Installation (WinXP Pro SP3) but this doesn't seem to work. Short of kicking off with a new Clean Installation (dreading because of the number of App's I have) I don't know any way around this.

Have recently bought a new retail version of Vista Ultimate with the intention of setting this up as a Dual Boot system until I'm happy that everything is working properly. That will be the time to see if it's Windows related I s'pose. You wouldn't think it though would you? Since the drives are not being detected during POST?

Will report back after Vista is installed... Fingers crossed.

Mal.

Dimal,

You're right, it shouldn't be a Windows issue. If you do enable AHCI, does the AHCI BIOS detect the drives? I know it passes by pretty quickly, but I can see both of my drives when the AHCI scan is echoed on the screen. I was having what I thought were memory problems due to restarts that were happening when the memory test runs during the BIOS boot. It ended up being that I had USB Storage Function set to [Enabled]. Once I disabled that, the problem went away. Just a thought to try disabling some things that would seem to be unrelated in the BIOS that you don't need. Good luck.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3P - Intel QX9750 3.16GHz w/ Zalman CNPS9500 - OCZ PC3-10666 Reaper HPC (OCZ3RPR13332GK) x4 - Corsair CMPSU-850TX - Gigabyte GV-N285-1GH-B w/ ThermalRight HR-03 GTX - ASUS Xonar D2X - Zalman MFC1-Plus - Antec P182

Quote Originally Posted by Svengali View Post
    Dimal,

You're right, it shouldn't be a Windows issue. If you do enable AHCI, does the AHCI BIOS detect the drives? I know it passes by pretty quickly, but I can see both of my drives when the AHCI scan is echoed on the screen. I was having what I thought were memory problems due to restarts that were happening when the memory test runs during the BIOS boot. It ended up being that I had USB Storage Function set to [Enabled]. Once I disabled that, the problem went away. Just a thought to try disabling some things that would seem to be unrelated in the BIOS that you don't need. Good luck.
    G'day again Svengali...

Yeah, I've tried all the obvious things... S'pose I should have mentioned that. The only thing I have yet to try is the clean Windows install. I've basically set everything up as recommended in the various threads and stickies here on TweakTown.... Terrific site for we Gigabyte board owners

Oh well, guess I'll just have to see how the clean install goes and whether this causes a change. I know it's not supposed to but stranger things than that have happened over the years, especially with a couple of Asus boards from a few years ago.

Anyway, thanks for the help, always appreciated... :)

Cheerio,
    Mal.

Thread Information