Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to install RAID on UD3P, quick checklist

Default About to install RAID on UD3P, quick checklist

Okay, I've never tried to RAID hard drives before, but I want to try it out.

I've backed up all my data on an external HD. I'm using the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. 2 WD CB 500's. Vista 64.

From what I've read:

I need to download the Intel ICH9R/ICH10R SATA RAID Driver from Gigabyte's website. Save it to a USB drive (don't need floppy b/c of Vista, I think).

Switch to RAID option in BIOS. Restart, hit cntrl + I when prompted. Tell it Raid 0, reboot.

Insert Vista Install Disk. When prompted, tell it to load drivers. Point it to USB Intel ICH10R driver. Proceed with install as normal.

Do I have everything right? I don't want to start this only to figure out I've screwed something up. I've read a lot of topics and I think I've got it all, like i said I just want to make sure.

Thanks.
    GA-EP45-UD3P Rev. 1.0 bios F6
    Intel C2D E8400 @ 3Ghz (333x9)
    G-Skill 2x2 GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    WD Caviar Black 500GB
    Asus Radeon HD 4850
    OCZ600SXS PSU
    NZXT Guardian 921

Default Re: About to install RAID on UD3P, quick checklist

Yeah You pretty much have everything ready to go.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------

MadMax2911 is offline Member

You can also refer to this website for the Tweakguides PDF its called the TG tweaking companion or TGTC for short. There is one for XP and Vista As far as I know, but I only used the XP guide. It is quite informative even for RAID array infomation. It is updated regularly which is a real plus. Here is link -> TweakGuides.com Also I think Vista has the SATA drivers already but they may need updating after install of Vista.
    Good luck Madmax

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax2911 View Post
    You can also refer to this website for the Tweakguides PDF its called the TG tweaking companion or TGTC for short. There is one for XP and Vista As far as I know, but I only used the XP guide. It is quite informative even for RAID array infomation. It is updated regularly which is a real plus. Here is link -> TweakGuides.com Also I think Vista has the SATA drivers already but they may need updating after install of Vista.
    Good luck Madmax
    cool, thanks for the resource

I got it all configured and have reinstalled everything successfully.

I really thought it would be a lot more difficult/time consuming/more confusing than it actually was, lol.

I love it though. I can definitely tell a difference with RAID 0.
    WD Caviar Black 500GB
    Asus Radeon HD 4850
    OCZ600SXS PSU
    NZXT Guardian 921

So what are you using the system for by the way, just curious? I hear Gaming and Video processing are benifited by RAID 0. However, some sites actually do not approve of RAID 0 or any flavor of RAID for the common desktop. I have had some people tell me that it was developed for servers to use. I have tried it but Win XP home does not support dynamic disks. Make sure you have your information backed up by the way.

MadMax
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 04-27-2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: reword

Mainly just using it for gaming. But I hate any sort of lag, and RAID has pretty much eliminated the delays in the operating system along with drastically reducing load times for all of my games.

Also, iTunes is much more bearable now. For some reason, and I've read about others having the same issues as me, iTunes on Vista64 is ridiculously laggy and slow. This makes it usable, which is nice.

Luckily, because I don't do too much important stuff on my computer, I can afford to lose all of my data. I've got it backing up to an external HD on a weekly basis just to be safe though.
    WD Caviar Black 500GB
    Asus Radeon HD 4850
    OCZ600SXS PSU
    NZXT Guardian 921

I have been running RAID0 on my builds for years starting with the original WD 36GB Raptors.My sig rig is running 2 WD VelociRaptors 300GB in RAIDO and they absolutely ROCK!! Yeah I know SSD's are the latest thing but when they come down more in price and get more bugs worked out I'llswitch. I'm VERY happy with RAIDO. I use this rig mostly for gaming.
    Q9550 EO 4.0ghz 475x8.5 1.325v LLC on
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P f9c OCZ Vendetta2 w/bolt kit
    4x2gb OCZ PC2 8500 5-6-6-18 1.9v @950mhz
    Asus 4870 512 Scythe Musashi
    Ocz Gamextream 600w
    2x300gb Velociraptors RAID0
    CoolerMaster Stacker 830
    Dynex 32" HDTV on HDMI
    Vista Premium 64-bit

Hi guys, one more question I see you guys are using the GA-EP45-UD3P mobos and I am using the GA-EP45-DS3R. So I am thinking what is the main difference between the Mobos? I have a fast board (from what I have heard) and is stable too (FWIHH). I have the RAID 0 capability like you too. Is it that the UD3P is built to be more durable. TO run cooler?
    Is there anything I am missing?? Also what games are you in to so maybe I can join you in game as well, I like BF2 a lot.
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 04-28-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: aditional thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax2911 View Post
    I hear Gaming and Video processing are benifited by RAID 0.
    When you do think what the (r)AID 0 actually does, you should understand why it is ok and nice for reading worthless files.

All RAID modes require more than one physical disk and a driver that is not usually found from Windows installation media. More noise, more power-consumption, more work to set up (even OP made a checklist, rather than attempted a "no-brains proceeding"). The "standard desktop" is "off-the-shelf, without-thinking". No wonder "anything" is considered "not for desktops" by some instances. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by mv2devnull View Post
    When you do think what the (r)AID 0 actually does, you should understand why it is ok and nice for reading worthless files.

All RAID modes require more than one physical disk and a driver that is not usually found from Windows installation media. More noise, more power-consumption, more work to set up (even OP made a checklist, rather than attempted a "no-brains proceeding"). The "standard desktop" is "off-the-shelf, without-thinking". No wonder "anything" is considered "not for desktops" by some instances. ;)
    the funny thing was that Vista actually did contain the drivers, which was nice. I even tried to load my own and it wouldn't let me, lol.

But yeah. It's by no means necessary, but if you are going to go to the trouble of overclocking, it's another tweak you can do to get more out of your system.
    WD Caviar Black 500GB
    Asus Radeon HD 4850
    OCZ600SXS PSU
    NZXT Guardian 921

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information