Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3R PCI slot problems

Default GA-EP45-UD3R PCI slot problems

I have a Cisco Aironet wireless pci adapter that seems to be incompatible with this motherboard.

Here's the long explanation..

I set up my new build using the GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard and an E8500 CPU. I installed Windows XP w/ all updates and drivers for all devices, including the wireless card. Things seemed to be fine but then when I went into BIOS to try to overclock I noticed that the motherboard had misdetected my E8500 and set the multiplier to 8.5x. Eek so my first step was to set the CPU up to default specs, multiplier up to 9.5x. With default CPU specs Windows wouldn't load! I played for over half an hour by setting the multiplier at 9.5x, 9x, upping the clock with the lower 8.5x to compensate and get back up to the 3.16ghz.. nothing would allow Windows to boot. Even so much as a 1mhz cpu clock increase or anything other than 8.5x multiplier and forget it.

I trouble shooted by replacing the power supply, and RAM. Same issue. I decided the problem must be either the mobo or the CPU. I decided to try the mobo first. I installed all the hardware again and immedietly went into BIOS this time to set the multiplier correctly, anticipating the misdetection. Sure enough it was down at 8.5x again. I set the multiplier back up at 9.5x again and then did a fresh installation of Windows XP, just to be thorough. This time Windows started righty away without being underclocked. Great, I though! I must have been a bad mobo. Well no..

First thing I did after booting Windows the first time is try to install the drivers for my wirless card. Every time I tried to do so the computer totally locked up and had to be crashed. Tried this four times. Windows loads fine, try to install drivers, lock up, crash.. repeat. Odd as it seemed, I went back into BIOS and set the multiplier down to 8.5x and sure enough drivers installed fine again. I even tested by setting the multiplier back up to 9.5x and booting to safe mode with networking disabled and it ran fine. With the adapter disabled it passed prime95 stress testing as well. The driver for this card is definitely freaking out the system.

Even though it kind of acts more like a driver/Windows conflict or a bad card it's not. The card was tested working fully functional in an Asus P45 board and an older 945gm board, both running the same version of Windows XP as installed on this PC. The problem is definitely in communicating with this particular Gigabyte board. Why underclocking the CPU fixes things is very confusing to me. I don't know why that is coming into play. I haven't tried replacing the CPU. Would this even be worth it? The whole system works *perfectly* until the wireless drivers come into play so it would seem to me that the CPU is fine. I don't think it's possible to have a CPU/pci card conflict.. or at least I've never heard of that one.

Then I saw this: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...se-help-28460/ Looks like this board has problems with the PCI slots at times. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Last edited by angelicvoices; 04-26-2009 at 12:50 AM.

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3R PCI slot problems

Have you updated you MB BIOS To the latest on the Gigabyte website?
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Check out this post to get your system stable at stock settings. With these "base" settings, you should be fully stable and able to o/c.

If you want to post your bios settings ignore the generic bios template in that post and use Lsdme's template.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

NimrodAUS, yes I have updated BIOS. I have used F4, F8 and F9. No difference.

profJim, that guide is for an overclocked system and I'm only try to get it to run at stock settings. Like for example I shouldn't need to be messing with the PCI Express Frequency. The system is perfectly stable at stock settings until I introduce the pci card. I need to tweak something about that. I'll post what my settings are via that template in a minute.

These are the settings I've used to make things work:

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: (tried 8 and 9.. only boots on 8)
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................: (tried .5 and 0.. only boots when 8.5x or less)
    CPU Frequency ...........................:

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Disabled] (have tried enabling it and setting frequency (below) higher to compensate with the 8.5x multiplier and NOTHING other than 333mhz times 8.5x mutiplier will let Windows boot
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 333 - 400 .. won't work above 333
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Auto or 100, depending on if overclocking

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: 800
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: 900
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: 0
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: 0

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: Auto
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual] (also tried AUTO which misdetects at 5-5-5-18 but it makes no difference)

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................ 4
    tRCD ......................................... 4
    tRP'........................................... 4
    tRAS.......................................... 12

Set all Suggested below to highest Values first. Then later you can lower, one at a time, testing as you go

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD........................................... Auto
    tWTR.......................................... Auto
    tWR............................................ Auto
    tRFC...........................................Aut o
    tRTP...........................................Aut o
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................: Auto

Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength ............................

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................: Auto
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:Auto
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto

Motherboard Voltage Control
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................: Tried Auto, which set at 1.25v and manually setting to 1.225v, which made no difference

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: Auto

CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: Auto

CPU Referen.…………....0.760V*.......: Auto

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: Auto
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; Auto (but my Auto is 0.760v)
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: Auto
    ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: Auto
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: Auto

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 1.900v (also tried Auto but no difference)
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: Auto
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: Auto
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: Auto

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Enabled]

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled]
    Last edited by angelicvoices; 04-30-2009 at 10:26 AM.

Please add your hardware setup to your signature.
    We are helping many users at the same time and it's a PITA to have to search the thread for your components.

The post I referred to is to help with basic system stability, stock or over-clocked. I've seen many times where a stock system is NOT stable until these settings are applied.

It looks like you've loaded FAIL SAFE settings instead of OPTIMIZED settings. Fail Safe settings will cause you grief.

**edit** It's more than just the visible differences, there are hidden settings that differ between OPTIMIZED and FAIL SAFE settings.
    Last edited by profJim; 04-30-2009 at 09:55 AM.
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Actually, no. Those are optimized except for an edited multiplier (because I have to to get Windows to boot) edited RAM timings and voltages because the motherboard didn't detect the RAM settings properly, and then I also took off the energy saving options. I've never loaded fail safe settings.
    Last edited by angelicvoices; 04-28-2009 at 10:59 AM.
    GA-EP45-UD3R Rev. 1.1
    E8400
    Corsair HX650
    G.Skill 4gb 800 CL4
    Asus DK GTS 250
    WD RE3 250GB
    Auzentech Prelude
    CISCO PI21AG Wireless PCI Adapter
    Pioneer DVR-216
    Windows 7 HP 64-bit

The wireless card issue might have to do with IRQ sharing or conflicts. It looks like there's no problem at stock or slightly under-clocked settings.

You can manually assign PCI IRQ settings in the bios PnP/PCI Configurations panel. It looks like this could be a hit or miss situation. Maybe through trial and error you can find another IRQ that will share without conflicts. I assume that you've tried your wireless card in each available PCI slot and ended up with the same results.

Device Mangager and MSinfo can show you which IRQs are being shared and which IRQs are assigned to each device.

No. There is a problem at stock settings. That has been my problem all along. The motherboard will not load Windows at stock settings.

Thanks for the IRQ suggestion, but I've tried that already. Yes, not only have I tried it in multiple PCI slots but also on two different GA-EP45-UD3R mobos. I know that whatever is going on has to do with this particular model of motherboard (not even the chipset), but I can’t figure out why.
    GA-EP45-UD3R Rev. 1.1
    E8400
    Corsair HX650
    G.Skill 4gb 800 CL4
    Asus DK GTS 250
    WD RE3 250GB
    Auzentech Prelude
    Pioneer DVR-216
    Windows 7 HP 64-bit

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You never did load and apply optimized defaults and reboot, otherwise your CPU would be detected properly and you would not need to change anything.

Right now you are using Fail Safe settings, and that is causing you many issues as you can tell.

I do suggest you load optimized, then set your ram voltage only and save/apply/reboot, as many hidden settings (and Visible ones) per your hardware may not be set properly until you do. I can see from here you have not done this or at least not this time around, so please do so now, it is a necessary step for any new build and after any BIOS Flash.

Please see here for tips on loading optimized, and if you are using RAID Be SURE you read this guide >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

That wireless card could be incompatible, but not so sure yet since you are not stable otherwise really.

Also be sure you have the latest Intel Chipset Drivers Installed >>>
    Software License Agreement

Once you have done that your CPU issues will be resolved and you should have a much smoother go at things. Once you get that taken care of install the above drivers, then reboot, and then see if your wireless card works any better. If not please give me the exact model # or a link to it and I will see if I can find anything out for you

Please do not tell me what I have and have not done. It is frustrating and not helpful. I have tried loading optimized defaults, but this does not fix things. Like I said, several times now, when the multiplier is set at stock speeds Windows will not boot. I have to down clock the multiplier to 8.5x to get Windows to boot. Therefore, when I load optimized defaults and it sets the multiplier up to 9.5x, Windows will not boot.

I've had two motherboards with the same issue now. The first board I had misdirected my CPU as 8.5x from the very first installation. However, on this first board I did not notice right away. I didn't go into BIOS at all until I had Windows installed and all drivers installed. When I went into BIOS on that board for the very first time I saw that my CPU multiplier was set wrong and I when I set the specs back up to default I could not get Windows to boot.

I bought a second motherboard. This time, the very first thing I did was go straight into BIOS, before even installing Windows, and loaded the default (optimized) settings. Everything was fine until I tried to install the wireless drivers and then I had the same issue as with the second board. That is when I discovered that the problem had to do with the card.

When I set optimized defaults it does change the multiplier to 9.5x. This is not the problem. The problem is that Windows will not boot with my multiplier set at 9.5x, so therefore Windows will not boot when my motherboard is set on optimized defaults.

The above BIOS settings I have posted are from after having set optimized defaults. Except, as I noted, I have changed to 8.5x multiplier, adjusted RAM voltages and timings and removed the two energy saving features. They are not fail safe defaults. I have never loaded fail safe defaults on either board. If i just load optimized defaults then Windows will not load, because Windows will not load when I have the multiplier on 9.5x. In order for Windows to load the multiplier has to be set to 8.5x.

I have the newest chipset drivers installed, which I downloaded off the Gigabyte website. I am not running RAID. I have tried three different BIOS versions, all having the same problem.

The wireless adapter is the one in my sig. CISCO PI21AG.

I am hoping that someone can figure out why this particular Gigabyte board has a problem with this card. The Cisco card is almost twice the price of the motherboard so if it's just a limitation of this board I'll have to return it and go for an Asus P5Q, which works fine with the card and does have the same kinds of compatibility issues. However, this board is a lot more physically attractive to me and looks better in the case I modded, so I hope there is some fix. Otherwise, I hope Gigabyte takes note and works on making future revisions with less compatibility issues.
    Last edited by angelicvoices; 04-30-2009 at 06:31 AM.
    GA-EP45-UD3R Rev. 1.1
    E8400
    Corsair HX650
    G.Skill 4gb 800 CL4
    Asus DK GTS 250
    WD RE3 250GB
    Auzentech Prelude
    Pioneer DVR-216
    Windows 7 HP 64-bit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information