Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP45-UD3P Suddenly Won't Post - Was Working Fine - Please Help!

Default GA-EP45-UD3P Suddenly Won't Post - Was Working Fine - Please Help!

MY EP-45 is absolutely killing me today. This morning everything was running absolutely fine. My system is only about 2 months old and everything is basically new.

Anyway, for whatever reason I needed to restart my computer and now the thing won't post at all. I've dealt with a lot of no boot/no post boards and the usual stuff isn't working here.

Things I have done that were fruitless:

Clear CMOS
    Reseat CPU
    Remove/Reinstall MB + All Components
    Swap RAM Stick
    Check + Recheck Cables
    Check +/- on all leads
    Checked Ram Compatibility

Nothing I can do can so much as even get a video output on my monitor. Absolutely nothing is different with the PC from several hours ago when it was working 100%.

When started, the PC will attempt to boot for a few seconds, I get all the LEDs lit. Fans all start, including, after a 1-3 second delay, the CPU fan - I was worried the slow start on the CPU fan could be triggering the NO_CPU_FAN warning/shutdown, but that doesn't account for no post. Sometimes, I get a string of fast, non-stop beeps until the computer power cycles itself and repeats again. Sometimes I get no beeps at all. If I remove all the RAM I get the standard NO-RAM beep schedule. Loading with 1 or 2 sticks, regardless of slots used, produces same random (ie. sometimes continuos beep, sometimes nothing) effect.

I'm at a loss at this point. Every other time I've had a problem like this it directly followed something I did. I changed absolutely nothing on this PC; there's no reason this should be happening. This isn't even an over-clocked PC, it was set for rock-solid stability.

This may well be the last GB board I ever buy and I am about ready to just quit building systems entirely. The last system I built a few months ago (which forced me to buy this one) was on a GA-965 and it promptly, at stock settings, burned my CPU even with a Tuniq. So, I shell out another 600 or so for a whole new set of parts, finally get it all running perfectly, and almost as soon as I am able to get used to it actually working, this occurs.

Edit: I have already googled this for a few hours. Because of the circumstances around this problem (going from perfect operation to no post) I'm a little less inclined to think one of my main, new hardware components suddenly exploded with no overclocking. Also, I hadn't even moved the computer, so I think a short would be somewhat unlikely. How exactly does a shorting MB act, and is there a way to rule one out without operating outside the case? Should I even worry about a short when I hadn't moved anything?

If a list of my specific hardware is necessary, I can post one. I figured since the system has been operating for weeks full-time with all these components at these settings with no problems, it couldn't be a hardware incompatibility.

I have read a virus or other mal-ware could cause a reboot loop problem, but I'm not sure if that can account for a reboot loop with no post. If anyone can give me more information on the potential for this to be a program-sourced problem, I would be very thankful.
    Last edited by Sdlonyer55; 04-28-2009 at 01:25 AM.

Default Re: GA-EP45-UD3P Suddenly Won't Post - Was Working Fine - Please Help!

From what I can find out with google, the beep-error code I am getting is either a longer code which is being cut off by the power cycle, or it represents the following:

" No Power, Loose Card, or Short."

Given I did not so much as touch the tower to insert a CD in between "100% operating" and "No Post", a loose card or short seem somewhat unlikely.

My power supply is a 3 month old PC Power & Cooling 610W. I've never had problems with these in the past. I'm running only a single 7900GS, single HD, so I think even if it's providing a lot less power than it should I would be ok. However, at this point I can't figure out what else could be wrong, but I don't have any extras on hand I can try nor the ability to get one quickly.

Faulty power supply unit would be my first guess. Pretty tough to troubleshoot without extra components to swap or testing equipment.....
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

I took the entire thing apart and reassembled it, again, and now it will post and boot normally as long as only 1 stick of my 2 sticks of RAM is in. Of course, it doesn't care which one that is, so I don't see how the RAM can be the problem. I assume the repeated clearings of my CMOS must have reset a setting related to the RAM but I can't seem to spot it anywhere.

Thread Information