Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Need some advice please GA-EP45-DQ6 question

Default Need some advice please GA-EP45-DQ6 question

I kind of inherited a large amount of hardware from a friend, among the PC parts that were there was a new GA-EP45-DQ6 Mobo. After reading the specs from Gigabyte and finding an appropriate Processor (Intel Core2Duo E2700) and a pair of OCZ PC2 8500 RAM stix. As well as a 600 watt PS. I went to work on putting it all together. Alas "nada"...all I get is the board lighting up for a few seconds followed by the Processor fan spinning for a moment prior to shutting down and the whole process repeating till I get tired of watching...I've reset the bios to no avail. Anyone have any other suggestions I might try. My friend that gave all this to me swears ther boards good...thanks in advance.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: Need some advice please GA-EP45-DQ6 question

Check this post and look at the The Minimalist Boot section.

To eliminate the possibility of a short-circuit, remove your mobo from the
    case and lay the mobo on a box or some books next to your computer case,
    but within reach of the case wires and connectors.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Thanks for the fast reply Jim, but I think I've ran down this list pretty well. Most of these things I knew, I'm of the opinion at this point that its either a power supply issue or possibly the board itself. Shame if it is...damn nice board.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, it could be dead and that may be why it was given to you. I know you said he swears it is good, but this is a $250 board, would he just Give you that? Take it to his house and tell him to show you it works with his parts he used

You mean you bought a E7200 not E2700, right?

Can you ask your friend what BIOS he last flashed into it? That is if you really was given this board and you trust it should work, otherwise you are wasting your time if you are unsure about any of that, or if you paid for it and he is maybe leading you on.

If he says he never flashed it, and or does not know, then it may not have F6 which is the first BIOS that CPU was supported by so you may need to use a older 65Nm CPU to flash your BIOS to a version that supports that CPU. Cheaper 65NM Celerons can be had for $40-60 if you need to buy a CPU to test that, or a E12xx or E21xx would work just as long as it is 65Nm

Can you remove the CPU and look at the processor socket and look close to see if there is any bent CPU Socket pins, you may need a magnifying glass.

What Graphics card are you using, and what brand or model is that PSU?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ya, it could be dead and that may be why it was given to you. I know you said he swears it is good, but this is a $250 board, would he just Give you that? Take it to his house and tell him to show you it works with his parts he used

You mean you bought a E7200 not E2700, right?

Can you ask your friend what BIOS he last flashed into it? That is if you really was given this board and you trust it should work, otherwise you are wasting your time if you are unsure about any of that, or if you paid for it and he is maybe leading you on.

If he says he never flashed it, and or does not know, then it may not have F6 which is the first BIOS that CPU was supported by so you may need to use a older 65Nm CPU to flash your BIOS to a version that supports that CPU. Cheaper 65NM Celerons can be had for $40-60 if you need to buy a CPU to test that, or a E12xx or E21xx would work just as long as it is 65Nm

Can you remove the CPU and look at the processor socket and look close to see if there is any bent CPU Socket pins, you may need a magnifying glass.

What Graphics card are you using, and what brand or model is that PSU?

Yea, I'm all about that...I kinda had my suspicions about this board from the beginning (Yea, I checked GB's recommended CPUs list before trying to install anything) I can't find anything visible as far as damage, caps all seem OK...no leakage etc. This is a 775 board, didn't see any bent pins...Hmmmm, wonder if anyone repairs such things. Might be worth spending a few bucks on this one if its even possible. (From a financial standpoint I mean)...BTW, Videos a Visiontek Radeon HD 3650. But I wouldn't think that should matter much since I can't get the board to boot at all.

much thanks for the replies...greatly appreciated!........to ya!
    Last edited by phlashman; 05-02-2009 at 10:57 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Did you look very close for bent pins, get a magnifying glass if you can.

CPU, I asked because there is no E2700 so I just wanted to be sure of what you meant.

I asked about the PSU and video card to be sure if had enough volts/amps for the card and the rest of the system. If you are using a el cheapo or small PSU this could be the reason it wont start as well, so that is why I wondered what PSU you have, no answer makes me worry this may be the case. IF it is, try to borrow a good PSU to test with to be sure, and then get on your buddy to cough of the real truth of his knowledge of the board

If you want I can send you info on a last resort method of shorting the MAIN BIOS out so the secondary one will kick in. This may or may not help, but it is all you can try before a RMA would be called for. Or your $$ Back from this "Friend", if you invested anything, if not a RMA would be spot on if there is no bent pins. Would just cost you shipping one way and a 2-3 week wait or so

Thread Information