Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Gigabyte GA MA790X-UD4 Will Not Boot

Default Gigabyte GA MA790X-UD4 Will Not Boot

I had to sign up here once I saw the post above with a very similar system to the one I have built recently. Basically this;

Gigabyte MA790X-UD4
    Phenom II x4 940
    G.Skill 4Gb DD2 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
    HD4890 1Gb
    3x 640Gb Wester Digital
    OCZ GameXstream 700W PSU

I cannot for the life of me get this system to boot at all. The PSU works fine because I am using it to power this rig while I figure out what is wrong with me new one. But in the new system, the PSU fan spins slowly, the blue light flickers, a couple of fans will spin, the GPU fan will spin....but the system will not boot.

It's as if the only thing not receiving power is the motherboard....which I seriously hope isn't DOA. Anyone have any ideas?
    AMD Phenom II x4 940 3.0Ghz @ stock (for now)/G.SKill DDR2 PC8500 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
    Gigabyte GA MA790X-UD4/Radeon HD4890 1Gb
    3x 640Gb Western Digital Caviar Black
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte GA MA790X-UD4 Will Not Boot

Have you tried with only one stick of ram in slot one? You do have the ATX 4 or 8 pin 12 Line connected and the 24pin cable correct, sorry gotta ask?

Have you tried clearing the CMOS, if so or not please try it again now using the method I outline here in post #2 >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Have you tried the board out of the case and OFF the motherboard tray with only the minimal connected? That would be CPU/Heatsink, one stick of ram in slot one, and your GFX Card, NOTHING else. This will rule out shorts and other faulty hardware.

Have you or can you test your GFX card and ram in another setup?

Do you have a older CPU as that one is only supported by BIOS F2 and up, so you may have a BIOS in there that does not support your CPU
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-01-2009 at 02:24 PM.

I have tested the set up outside of the case, have tested the GFX card in another system and tested an old 8800GT in the new system. I have tried the two seperate ram sticks and tried them in each slot.

All the power connectors on my PSU (20+4 Pin Main ATX, and 2 4-Pin 12V connectors in the 8-Pin socket) are connected correctly.

I am going to order a cheap AM2 Sempron and a cheap stick of low voltage DDR2 now so I can test these.
    AMD Phenom II x4 940 3.0Ghz @ stock (for now)/G.SKill DDR2 PC8500 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Just wanted to let you guys know I have solved the problem.

Turns out the motherboard was in fact DOA. I got impatient and ordered a new GA MA790X-UD4 which worked first time. I have RMA'd the faulty one I had originally and will probably eBay whatever I get back.

Thanks for any and all of your suggestions.

I'm now in the process of getting my X-Fi working on Vista x64. Wish me luck

Thread Information