Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP31-DS3L Motherboard Rev 2.0

Question GA-EP31-DS3L Motherboard Rev 2.0

Recently purchased a Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L Rev 2.0 motherboard with BIOS version FC.

In BIOS, the default DRAM voltage setting is labelled "Normal". What is the voltage at "normal" setting? Is it always 1.8 V (the standard DDR2 voltage)? Or is the voltage BIOS adjusted, depending on how BIOS interprets DRAM SPD's and sets voltage accordingly?

The reason I'm asking is that I don't want to supply excessive voltage to DRAMS, so I need to know what the "normal" voltage setting actually does.

Again in BIOS, DRAM frequency can be adjusted with the following multipliers of clock frequency (clock normally @ 333 MHz) -

Auto
    4+

DRAM frequency setting is by default in the "Auto" position.

In the "Auto" position, does the BIOS select the appropriate multiplier from the above list only, or can BIOS apply other multipliers not listed in the manual settings?

I tried installing some dual channel DDR2 @ 1066 MHz (PC2 8500) with DRAM BIOS settings at "Normal" voltage and "Auto" frequency multiplier. BIOS indicated DRAM frequency as 1066 MHz. But when I ran Memtest86+ (because the DDR2 PC2 8500 modules were not quite stable), Memtest86+ indicated DRAM frequency as being 1110 MHz!? This suggests that the BIOS may have used the 3.33 multiplier(?) But if the DRAM frequency was actually 1066 MHz, then BIOS would have had to apply a 3.2 multiplier to the clock frequency of 333 MHz to get 1066 MHz. However, that multiplier is not listed in manual settings (above)?

So what frequency were the modules actually running at? Which is right, the BIOS or Memtest86+? Or were they both wrong?
    Last edited by meeshu; 05-01-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EP31-DS3L Motherboard Rev 2.0

Normal means 1.8V (+/-) standard DDR2 voltages, Auto means the board will decide based on ram speed and timings and overall system speeds

You can check anytime, at any Dram voltage setting (Auto/Normal/Manual +V) by after a reboot looking in the PC Health section and see what voltage it shown for Dram, you may also use Everest Ultimate and look while in windows (In the Computer/Sensor section). You can get a trial of Everest here >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...y-tools-30530/

There is a Beta out for your board if you would like to try it FDa, your Board Revision is 2.1 correct? >>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP31-DS3L (rev. 2.1)

If you do flash please read this and do not use @BIOS >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

As for your memory Multiplier and Auto for that, it is selected based on your ram itself and what CPU you have. It may or may not always be correct, and based on your FSB of course even if it selects the correct multi the Freq may vary if you have changed your FSB.

Does CPU-z show the same in the Memory Tab, if not then you may need the latest version of memtest. Here is the latest of both apps >>>
    CPUID
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

What FSB do you have set, and what CPU are you using?

Lightbulb Re: GA-EP31-DS3L Motherboard Rev 2.0

Thanks for the detailed reply!!

Firstly. The PC2 8500 1066 MHz DRAM I was referring to in my previous post has gone back to the supplier on a RMA as the modules were causing some problems. I should have replacement modules soon.

I have reinstalled my original dual channel 4 GB PC2 6400 DRAM @ 800 MHz and at "normal" BIOS voltage setting. These modules are stable.

OK. So "normal" DRAM voltage setting in BIOS always (or should mean) means 1.8 V for DDR2 modules. Thanks for clearing that up!

I've just downloaded the latest (beta) BIOS V FDa for revision 2.0 motherboard and the BIOS was flashed successfully.

The PC Health status in BIOS indicates DRAM voltage as being 1.9 V despite DRAM voltage on "normal" setting !? I've installed Everest Ultimate, it reports the DRAM voltage as being 1.9 V also. So it seems the normal voltage for my motherboard is actually 1.9 V (unless the voltage is not being measured properly?)!

My motherboard is revision 2.0 according to etching on motherboard and confirmed by Everest Ultimate.

I downloaded and installed the latest versions of CPUz (V 1.51) and Memtest86+ (V 2.11) yesterday to do the tests.

FSB is 1333 MHz (4 x clock @ 333 MHz).

CPU is Intel Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz (8.5 x clock @ 333 MHz).
    Last edited by meeshu; 05-01-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: updated details

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EP31-DS3L Motherboard Rev 2.0

Sorry to hear you had to RMA your ram, I wish you a speedy RMA!!

Yeap, normal would be 1.8 most always. Now, I am not sure if that goes up at any certain high speed as I have not tested it much as it is always best to set your own voltages.

Nice to see you checked out your voltages, yes some BIOS will be higher or lower then what you set, and that amount can change once you load windows as well.

Now this 1.9V could be due to just how the BIOS sets 1.8, or how it acts if you select normal. You whould try setting 1.9V and see what it shows as, and just for reference set Auto and see what it is at the clocks you are running now. Either could be more or less then normal is giving you so I just wanted you to check your options out fully.

Do keep in mind the amount used for Auto may vary depending on system/ram speed, just in case you decide to use that. Also keep in mind that other BIOS's may give different amount for each, and each settings variance from the supposed value may vary differently as well. So for example if normal give you 1.9V at 800Mhz, Auto may give you 1.84V or something like that. And setting manually 1.9V may give you 1.86V or 1.94V, just as an example. So check each setting out.

If your ram is rated at 1.8 or 1.9 more or less would not hurt the ram, only stability.

Arrow Re: GA-EP31-DS3L Motherboard Rev 2.0

Many thanks for the detailed reply!

I checked "normal" DRAM voltage setting as well as "+0.1 V" setting. According to PC Health in BIOS, and confirmed by Everset Ultimate, the voltage at both settings was 1.9 V. I set +0.2 V, and got 2.0 V. Set +0.3 V and got 2.1 V. So, I'll be checking the voltage settings in future to be certain that DRAMS are not over volted.

With the clock at 333 MHz, and available DRAM frequency multipliers at -
    2 x
    2.4 x
    3.33 x
    4+ x
    2.5 x
    3 x,
    it is not possible to set DRAM frequency to 1066 MHz; as there is no 3.2 x multiplier(!?)

Both the RAM I RMA'd, and another brand of RAM also rated at 1066 MHz ran stably at 1000 MHz @ 1.9 V @ 3 x freq multiplier. However, both RAM's were unstable at 1110 MHz @ 2.1 V @ 3.33 x freq multiplier. Since there is no 3.2 x freq multiplier I couldn't test at 1066 MHz.

So, in order to run DRAM at 1066 MHz I would have to (presumably) adjust the clock frequency to suit the available rang of frequency multipliers (?). I could drop the clock frequency down to 320 MHz and use the 3.33 x freq multiplier to give 1066 MHz. Or, I could increase clock frequency to 355 MHz and use the 3 x freq multiplier to give 1066 MHz. Yes?

Exclamation Re: GA-EP31-DS3L Motherboard Rev 2.0

I adjusted the clock to 355 MHz, the CPU frequency to 2840 MHz (8 x clock @ 355 MHz), and DRAM frequnecy to ~ 1066 MHz (3 x clock @ 355 MHz). The CPU and DRAM voltage adjustments were set on "Auto".

I'm happy to report that the DRAM worked well using MemTest86+ ! No errors and no freezes! However! The DRAM voltage was set at 2.1 V (which is OK), but the CPU core voltage was 1.6 V!!?? I noticed also the core temperature was up around 69 degrees.

Anyway, I reset frequencies to - clock @ 333 MHz, CPU freq @ 2833 MHz (8.5 x clock), and DRAM freq @ 1000 MHz (3 x clock). But I noticed the DRAM and CPU core volatges were still 2.1 V and 1.6 v respectively!? So I manually adjusted to voltages back to "normal" setting which corresponds to DRAM voltage of 1.9 V and CPU core voltage of 1.1 V! Much better!

I couldn't see a reason for the core voltage to be set at such a high value (1.6 V) for relatively little adjustment in parameters!? I wonder if the BIOS is a bit screwy?

Thread Information