Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Which Driver for AHCI on MA770-UD3

Exclamation Which Driver for AHCI on MA770-UD3

I was hoping to get forum members help because the GIGABYTE "Technical Service Zone" takes too long to reply to my questons and I need to get this rig completed this weekend. I am going to reformat my hard drive and do a fresh install of WIN XP Pro. I am not going to do RAID, I only want to enable AHCI. I used the GIGABYTE installation CD that came with my mobo to make a floppy with the SATA AHCI driver, so I could load it at F6 during the Windows installation. But I had doubts that I selected the correct option when selecting the driver. I asked the GIGABYTE Tech Service Zone to clarify which option I should choose and their answer left me confused. This is the communication I have had so far.

My question I asked GIGABYTE:
    These are the settings I chose for install:

When I created the Driver Diskette for Windows XP, I chose number 5 from the following options:
    1)GIGABYTE SATA-RAID Driver(x86)
    2)GIGABYTE SATA-RAID Driver(x64)
    3)SB600 SATA
    4)SB600 SATA(Vista)
    5)SB700/750 SATA
    0)exit

These are my SATA settings from the BIOS Integrated Peripherals:
    OnChip SATA Controller [Enabled]
    OnChip SATA Type [AHCI]
    OnChip SATA Port4/5 [IDE]

Is 5)SB700/750 SATA the correct option to make the driver diskette?

Reply from GIGABYTE:

depending on which mode you are planning on using, in ahci mode make sure you copy option 3 for the driver under WinXP. For IDE mode no driver should be needed, make sure that you are able to see the hdd being scanned during post. <END>

This is my question to them in response to their answer above, and I am asking for any help ya'll can give to clarify:

Thank you for the reply but I need clarification.

Your answer advises me to select option 3)SB600SATA. The product specifications section of my GA-MA770-UD3 gives the specifications of:

North Bridge: AMD 770
    South Bridge: AMD SB700

I want to get clarification that I should choose option 3)SB600SATA, even though the manual specifications advise that my South Bridge is AMD SB700?

Please verify that I should choose option 3)SB600SATA. [end]
    <END>

So, does anyone know what the correct option is for creating the floppy diskette with the AHCI driver?
    Rick

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 (Rev 1.0)
    BIOS: Award Software International, F5
    CPU: AMD Athlon X2 4850e (socket AM2)
    Memory: G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK (DDR2 1066)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 3450
    HDD: WD Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S223Q
    Power Supply: Rosewill RD500-2DB
    Monitor: Acer x223w
    Operating System: WinXP Pro SP3

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Which Driver for AHCI on MA770-UD3

I am not sure since I do not use AMD, but I think you are correct in thinking you should use 5

Either way I would use 5 first and if it fails you will just have to do it again with 3. No loss that way anyhow since you are doing a clean install.

But yeap, I do believe your assumptions are correct, but it very well could be that 3 or 5 would work but you would expect them to advise you to use 5!! Your manual advises 5 as well, for a RAID install though but I think the driver would be the same and you would just pick the differentiation during OS install

You could make it easy on yourself and just grab the driver direct from the site, here is XP AHCI Floppy driver, and as you can see it also is M7xx

x86/x64
    ftp://download.gigabyte.ru/driver/mo...isk_m7x_xp.exe

It's so nice to be validated The more I read the more I know how little I know. You once again have been a great help to me. Thanks.

I will use the .exe you provided. Do I download the .exe to floppy and extract it from there? Or do I download it to my desktop and it will then extract to a floppy?

Rick
    Rick

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 (Rev 1.0)
    BIOS: Award Software International, F5
    CPU: AMD Athlon X2 4850e (socket AM2)
    Memory: G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK (DDR2 1066)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 3450
    HDD: WD Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S223Q
    Power Supply: Rosewill RD500-2DB
    Monitor: Acer x223w
    Operating System: WinXP Pro SP3

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I'm here to help!!

I not agree with your thoughts more on this issue, wonder why they even suggested that to you?

You will need to extract the files from the exe before adding them on the floppy. So ya, from your desktop extract, I am not sure if it is designed to extract to A or not, if not just copy the extracted folder to the floppy. And then just to save time, also copy the folder's contents to the floppy without being in a folder, incase it needs it one way or the other.

Good luck with your install!

Thread Information