Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New computer with GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P resetting intermittently

Default New computer with GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P resetting intermittently

Here are the specs of my PC.

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P
    AMD Phenom 9950 HD995ZXAGHBOX
    EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+
    OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK (I have two of these kits, so 8GB total)
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS
    Antec 900 case
    Sony Optiarc DVD Burner AD-7240S-0B
    D-Link WDA-1320

This is a brand new computer (parts came in last week) and also the first computer I've ever built from the ground up. On first boot up, it posted just fine, and I began to install Vista x64. During the installation, the computer just reset itself (the exact same thing happens if I press the reset switch on the front of the case). I have yet to get an OS installed on here due to it resetting itself at random times (it even reset while I was just sitting in the BIOS screen, but resets without fail during the Windows install process).

I posted on another forum, and someone there suggested I load the fail-safe defaults and change a few settings and run a memory test. I let it run overnight and it did 14 passes with no errors found (and not a single reset either). I attempted to install Windows after this (leaving the Fail-safe defaults) and the install went EXTREMELY slow (4-5 minutes between dialog boxes).

Upgrading the BIOS was suggested to me, so I did. After loading Optimized Defaults (like the instructions said) the resets started happening again. I loaded Fail-Safe Defaults and started installing Vista (again). It has now been about 40 minutes, and it is still on the second step of "Expanding Files... (86%), and while I was typing this, it reset again.

I am truly at a loss of what is going on here.

Default Re: New computer with GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P resetting intermittently

My first thought is Memory voltage (vDIMM) and MCH (Northbridge voltage). Then I remembered there is no Northbridge on AMD boards, so it's probably just vDIMM.

Both failsafe and optimized defaults will give you a standard vDIMM of 1.8v. This is ok for some modules but not others. Your RAM specs state 5-5-5-15 timings at 2.1v. Check that those timings have been set, and if not set them yourself. Set the vDimm to 2.1 and give it another try.

Don't see many AMD people round here so I'm not too familiar with layouts of AMD boards, voltage settings etc, but insufficient RAM voltage is universal.

Quote Originally Posted by MrYonkers View Post
    Here are the specs of my PC.

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P
    AMD Phenom 9950 HD995ZXAGHBOX
    EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+
    OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK (I have two of these kits, so 8GB total)
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS
    Antec 900 case
    Sony Optiarc DVD Burner AD-7240S-0B
    D-Link WDA-1320

This is a brand new computer (parts came in last week) and also the first computer I've ever built from the ground up. On first boot up, it posted just fine, and I began to install Vista x64. During the installation, the computer just reset itself (the exact same thing happens if I press the reset switch on the front of the case). I have yet to get an OS installed on here due to it resetting itself at random times (it even reset while I was just sitting in the BIOS screen, but resets without fail during the Windows install process).

I posted on another forum, and someone there suggested I load the fail-safe defaults and change a few settings and run a memory test. I let it run overnight and it did 14 passes with no errors found (and not a single reset either). I attempted to install Windows after this (leaving the Fail-safe defaults) and the install went EXTREMELY slow (4-5 minutes between dialog boxes).

Upgrading the BIOS was suggested to me, so I did. After loading Optimized Defaults (like the instructions said) the resets started happening again. I loaded Fail-Safe Defaults and started installing Vista (again). It has now been about 40 minutes, and it is still on the second step of "Expanding Files... (86%), and while I was typing this, it reset again.

I am truly at a loss of what is going on here.
    First off, plz ty, add your stats to you sig:

Please add all your Specifications to your Tweak Town Signature.

1. Click where it says "User CP" at the top of any page on this forum when your logged in. Or maybe this might work: TweakTown Forums .

2. Click, " Edit Signature " on the left of your Control Panel.

3. Update the following with your own info and copy/paste it all into your new signature:

<<< System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply: ________________________
    > Mainboard : ________________________
    > Chipset : ________________________
    > Processor : ________________________
    > CPU HeatSink and Fan (HSF): ________________________
    > Physical Memory : ________________________(Put a Link to your RAM's specifications here next to it.)
    > Video Card : ________________________
    > DVD-Rom Drive : ________________________
    > Monitor Type : ________________________
    > Operating System : ________________________

4. Preview and save it.

And then we'll be able to see all your Specifications on every post you make.

And include your mobo rev#, bios version in your signature too.

Second,

What your going through on a first build really sukz but has happened countless times. Unfortunately its not just a new build, but rather a new build and first build. Don't worry it just happens.

1. But here is the problem, clearly stated first:

You cannot complete an installation of a fresh Operating System on a new build. (And the first build you have ever attempted should be noted.)

2. Here are a few possible ways things that may help in no specific order:

A. Use this forum.;)

B. Try installing a fresh Operating System with one RAM chip. A single 2GB RAM chip you have is plenty.

C. Help from somebody on this forum with the same Mother Board is usually imperative. (Sry, I don't. I'm filling in for now.)

D. Search this forum more thoroughly for answers.

E. An exact BIOS template from somebody with the same MOBO or a template from a preexisting post(s).

F. Between installation attempts, make sure the Hard Drive does not have anything on it and it is at least quick formatted.

G. Continue listing things that may help here.

H. Check connections to the Cases LEDs/ Restart/ Start etc.

I. Make sure there is no short between the new Case and MOBO.

J. Disconnect or remove an unnecessary peripherals.

K. Try another Hard Drive.

3. Keep tring one after another of the things listed above until one fixes the problem or until or unless somebody does post an absolute answer based on experience they had with the same problem and that solved it. Somebody will shortly I'm sure.

Sorry MrYonkers, but this is all I can do for now. I just wanted to help get you get a start. I saw that nobody had replied to your post yet and it would soon be approaching an hour since you posted it. Others should follow soon.

GL

PS
    Oh... Wait... Look... its Psycho101 !!! YAY!!! :) (He beat me.lol)

Others will follow. ;) GL
    Last edited by Bee_Dee_3_Dee; 05-04-2009 at 10:49 AM.
    <<< LGA2011 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply: CORSAIR AX Series AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular (NE Link)
    > Chipset : Intel X99
    > Mainboard :Gigabyte GA-X99-Ultra Gaming
    (NE Link)
    > Processor : i7-6850K (NE Link)
    > AIO: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 (NE Link)
    > Physical Memory : G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW (NE Link)
    > Video Card : 2x ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING (NE Link)

<<< LGA1366 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply:
    >>>Original PSU (2011-01) :
    Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade PSU (2012-01) : CORSAIR AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W (NE Link)
    > Chipset : Intel X58
    > Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (REV.2.0) (FB BIOS)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > Processor : i7-950 (Revision D0) 3.0GHz @3.84GHz
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > HSF:
    Noctua NH-D14 (NE Link MPP Link)
    > Physical Memory :
    >>>Original RAM (2011-01) : G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
    >>>Upgrade RAM (2012-01) : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) w/FrostByte Heatsink Model 998990 (NE Link MPP Link OverClockersClub Dot Com Article)
    > Video Card :
    >>>Original Vid Card (2011-01) : BFG Geforce GTX295 (
    NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2012-01) : (2) EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GTX 560 Ti (2GB)-SLI (
    NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2013-07) : (2) GTX 760-SLI Gigabyte GV-N760OC-4GB (NE Link)
    > DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B ATA Device
    > Monitor :
    ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26" (
    NE Link)
    > Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate
    > Case : COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel (
    NE Link)

<<< LGA775 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply: Corsair 620HX (
    NE Link)
    > Mainboard : Gigabyte P35-S3G (F2 BIOS)
    > Chipset : Intel P35
    > Processor : Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale (Revision C0) 3.0GHz @ 3950 MHz
    > HSF: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    > Physical Memory : CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) (
    Link)
    > Video Card : BFG Geforce GTX295
    >
    Monitor : ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26"

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    My first thought is Memory voltage (vDIMM) and MCH (Northbridge voltage). Then I remembered there is no Northbridge on AMD boards, so it's probably just vDIMM.

Both failsafe and optimized defaults will give you a standard vDIMM of 1.8v. This is ok for some modules but not others. Your RAM specs state 5-5-5-15 timings at 2.1v. Check that those timings have been set, and if not set them yourself. Set the vDimm to 2.1 and give it another try.

Don't see many AMD people round here so I'm not too familiar with layouts of AMD boards, voltage settings etc, but insufficient RAM voltage is universal.
    Yep.

And so a link to your RAM next to your sig with specs helps YOU (MrYonkers) big time in getting help faster. With that link, others will more likely, and have a chance to help you (MrYonkers).

I bet your right and the correct RAM Voltage fixes it Psycho101.

GL MrYonkers
    > Power Supply: CORSAIR AX Series AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular (NE Link)
    (NE Link)
    > Physical Memory : G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW (NE Link)

> Power Supply:
    Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > HSF:
    > Physical Memory :
    >>>Original RAM (2011-01) : G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
    >>>Upgrade RAM (2012-01) : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) w/FrostByte Heatsink Model 998990 (NE Link MPP Link OverClockersClub Dot Com Article)
    > Video Card :
    NE Link)
    NE Link)
    > Monitor :
    NE Link)
    NE Link)

NE Link)
    Link)
    >

Well, this is strange. I tried to install Vista using the fail safe defaults (with ONE change that was suggested in a forum I read "Integrated Peripherals, OnChip SATA Type = AHCI"), and it let me install Vista. It took FOREVER, but I got it installed. It has now been on for about 4 hours with NO RESETS!! (yay!)

I know exactly what you mean about the voltage on the memory. In fact, that was the FIRST thing I did when I booted this up for the first time several days ago. However, that's when I was having the problem. I haven't checked what the memory voltage and timings is set at now, but I'm afraid to mess with it, as it hasn't reset itself yet.

However, does Vista normally take a long time to shut down after installing updates? I mean, I'm waiting 10 minutes or more waiting on the computer to shutdown and finish the updates.

Thanks for the advice (hope I got the sig working correctly now). I'm glad some people stuck there head in this thread to check on my little ol' problem. :)

Quote Originally Posted by MrYonkers View Post
    Well, this is strange. I tried to install Vista using the fail safe defaults (with ONE change that was suggested in a forum I read "Integrated Peripherals, OnChip SATA Type = AHCI"), and it let me install Vista. It took FOREVER, but I got it installed. It has now been on for about 4 hours with NO RESETS!! (yay!)

I know exactly what you mean about the voltage on the memory. In fact, that was the FIRST thing I did when I booted this up for the first time several days ago. However, that's when I was having the problem. I haven't checked what the memory voltage and timings is set at now, but I'm afraid to mess with it, as it hasn't reset itself yet.

However, does Vista normally take a long time to shut down after installing updates? I mean, I'm waiting 10 minutes or more waiting on the computer to shutdown and finish the updates.

Thanks for the advice (hope I got the sig working correctly now). I'm glad some people stuck there head in this thread to check on my little ol' problem. :)
    MrYonkers,

Check the integrity of your HDD and its partition(s).

Gratz on the successful install.

Your sig looks fine!

Find a good MOBO template to use as a master blank template, and post all your settings in it. And post your template. (Paste the text, highlight the text, and click the "Wrap Code tagz around" button.)

Like this is my current:

Code:
    __________(F2 BIOS)_________________________________
    __________Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale (Revision C0)___
    CPU Host Clock Control_____________[Enabled]________
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [439] ___________
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]____________
    Performance Enhance________________[Standard]_______
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)_____[2.40]___________
    Memory Frequency(MHz)____[800]_____[1054]___________
    DRAM Timing Selectable___(SPD)_____[Manual]_________
    ********** Standard Timing Control ************_____
    CAS Latency Time________________5__[5]______________
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________5__[5]______________
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5__[5]______________
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________5__[15]_____________
    ********** Advanced Timing Control ************_____
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)________ 3__[  3 ]___________
    Rank Write to READ Delay_______ 3__[Auto]___________
    Write to Precharge Delay_______ 6__[Auto]___________
    Refresh to ACT Delay___________52__[ 50 ]___________
    Read to Precharge Delay________ 3__[Auto]___________
    Static tRead Value_____________ 7__[  8 ]___________
    Static tRead Phase Adjust______25__[Auto]___________
    FSB DeOverVoltage Control__________[-0.10V]_________
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control_________[+0.2V]__________
    CPU GTREF Voltage Ratio____________[0.636]__________
    CPU Voltage Control________________[1.35000V]_______
    Normal CPU Vcore___________________[1.15000V]_______
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2)_________[Enabled]________
    CPU EIST Function__________________[Disabled]_______
    Virtualization Technology__________[Disabled]_______
    (*Note* Must be enabled for VMware/Virtual PC)______
    (*Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB)__________
    If you can, make a Drive Image to save time. If before you figure out why the OS took so long to install, and a new installation is needed, a Drive Image restoration can take minuets and save many settings. Acronis is #1 in my book for now, But your MOBO may have come with one. There's a good chance that whatever is slowing down OS installs might also slow down Drive Image Restorations, but its the best tool for so many things and you just built your first PC and you should strongly consider using Imaging Software.

Your original problem is somewhat fixed, but somewhat is not enough:(Original Problem)

You cannot complete an installation of a fresh Operating System on a new build. (And the first build you have ever attempted should be noted.)

In plain English, your problem now is as follows:

Installation of a fresh OS takes way too long.

How many minuets MrYonkers?

Congratz again and remember if the OS took way too long to install you are probably going to run into additional problems.
    Last edited by Bee_Dee_3_Dee; 05-04-2009 at 02:22 PM.
    (NE Link)

> Power Supply:
    Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > HSF:
    > Physical Memory :
    > Video Card :
    NE Link)
    NE Link)
    > Monitor :
    NE Link)
    NE Link)

NE Link)
    Link)
    >

@MrYonkers I have the same board and I hope your problem is resolved soon. I offer any help I can give just take note the system in my sig will be assembled this coming Saturday when I close up the shop I work at. (10am-2pm so I have the rest of the weekend to play with my new rig :-)
    I have three Intel systems and four AMD. Doing my best, I'll help in answering some these questions at that time. I just registered an account here though, shamefully, I've been visiting this site for a WHILE now as, IMO, it's one of the probably top 5 sites out there for great info and help with situations like this.
    All the best and GL with everything!

Speedy

Thread Information