Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My First STABLE build!!!

Default My Adventure Overclocking E8400 + EP45-UD3P

I successfully complete 24 hours of Prime with this build. It is not really on overclock... but it is my first Tweak.

CPU = Model E8400
    Motherboard = EP45-UD3P Rev. 1.1
    BIOS Version = F9
    Ram = Gskill PC2-8500 5-5-5-16

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 7
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:0.5
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 3001mHz

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 400 Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<<
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<<

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.6D
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1068
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................5
    tRCD .............................................5
    tRP............................................... ..5
    tRAS.............................................. 16

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................5
    tWTR..........................................14Me mset Reading (6 in BIOS)
    tWR............................................
    tRFC...........................................65
    tRTP...........................................7
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2T

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................:10
    Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:10

Motherboard Voltage Control
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….………................................: 1.19375
    CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*...............: 1.2000
    CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: 1.15
    CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*...........: .76
    CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*...........:<<< .67% Of Vtt

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: 1.2
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V............: .76
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V..............: .9
    ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: 1.5
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V...........: 1.1

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.0
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: .9
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: .9
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: .9

CPUZ Validation

Baby steps, right? On to bigger things now

Thanks Lsdmeasap for your help.
    Last edited by grishkafool; 06-01-2009 at 01:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex St. John
    Consider for a moment that what we think of as “intelligence” is the byproduct of a computing architecture that depends on massive parallelism to interact with the world in real time without stalling for progress bars. If our ancestors’ brains had depended on running Vista on current dual-core processors for their survival, they would have been eaten by bears.

Best Quote Ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101
    Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
    Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

Default Re: My First STABLE build!!!

Nice, what cooling are you using?

Are you going to try for higher?
    CPU: Intel C2Q Q6600 G0 @ 3.2GHz W/ 1.184v (Max Overclock - 4.1GHz ON AIR)
    Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (Max Overclock - 515FSB)
    RAM: CellShock 2GB PC2-8500 @ 1200MHz 5-5-5-15 (Max Overclock - 1300MHz 5-4-4-12)
    Video Card: Gainward HD4870 GS @ 775MHz/4000MHz (Max Overclock - 835MHz/1175MHz)
    Case: Antec 1200

You should raise that multi to 9 and keep everything else to stock. That would get you tu 3.6GHz with stock voltages. It's perfectly stable on my DS3L so your UD3P will be more than perfect. Oh, and maybe try decreasing tRD (Static tRead Value) to 8, and tRFC to 52-54. It should work just fine.

LE: I've just noticed, 0.06V vdroop on the UD3P? Didn't know it was that high without LLC enabled.
    Last edited by morph; 05-05-2009 at 05:49 PM.
    GA-EP45-UD3R (F12)
    Zalman CNPS-7000C-CU
    E8400@3.6GHz
    2x2GB A-DATA Vitesta 800+ CL4 Extreme Edition @ 1066MHz@2.0V (5-5-5-15)
    Asus EN9800GT Ultimate @ 810/2000/2200
    Seagate 250GB + WD 500GB + WD 640GB
    Asus DRW 1608-P
    BenQ G2010WP
    Thermaltake TR2 500W
    Windows 7 Pro x64

According to the screenshot you posted, you have different tRead values on each channel, unless you have two different brands/types of ram installed, check that they're the same.

I don't really see what you've "tweaked" to be honest. You've dropped the multiplier and upped the front side bus, then used a divider to bring your RAM up to 1066. You could have done all that on the maximum CPU multiplier with a 333 FSB and a 3.2 RAM divider.

Seems like a bit of a waste of time, as would tightening any memory settings yet. Leave the FSB at 400, set the CPU multiplier to 9x, memory divider to 2.66 and give it a little more vCore. Something like 1.275-1.300v should be plenty.

Thanks for pointing out the T-read difference, I will change that at next reboot.

I think that the changes I made are definitely "Tweaks" as they are not the stock setting for the CPU, conisdering that the stock set-up over-volts things and is 333x9 with a 3.2B strap. Having read posts here relating to RAM straps and FSB settings, I figured that I would rather run a 2.6D strap; as I understand it, D strap is more efficient at 400MHz than B.

Also, I suppose that I could have made some minor changes to DRAM voltage, maybe down .1v or so, but what the heck.

Further, SANDRA testing shows 6,168MB/s transfer at 333x9/3.2B vs 7,703MB/s at 400x7.5/2.6D. I tried out a 445x9/2.00D set-up and got a SANDRA memory transfer of 8.9GB/s; but it was only stable for 2 hours. I couldn't get my head around the process, so I started fresh...
    IMAGE COURTESY OF Lsdmeasap

@morph, Lsdmeasap told me that with 8GB of RAM, I should set my tRFC between 65-72 and work my way stable from there.

Anyway, this is a starting point for me. I figured the best way to learn overclocking was babysteps. Start with minor bus adjustments and work my way up.

Side point: not sure why tWTR in Memset is 14 when it is set in BIOS at 6 and don't know why Memset doesn't show me a tWR number.
    Last edited by grishkafool; 05-07-2009 at 04:53 AM. Reason: correcting place error
    Consider for a moment that what we think of as “intelligence” is the byproduct of a computing architecture that depends on massive parallelism to interact with the world in real time without stalling for progress bars. If our ancestors’ brains had depended on running Vista on current dual-core processors for their survival, they would have been eaten by bears.

Best Quote Ever...
    Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
    Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

I wasn't mocking what you have done, I just don't think there's any "real world" gain from it.

Increasing the FSB at stock settings will increase memory bandwidth, however even going from 6168 MB/s to 7703MB/s (Sandra figures are in thousands of MB/s, so 6.168 GB/s was your first figure) will show surprisingly little difference.

As for [AUTO] over volting everything, it won't if you leave the FSB and multi at stock levels too. In fact, at your settings you are running on more voltage idle than you would setting 9x333.

Speedstep usually drops the CPU multi to 6 and lowers core voltage automatically. It can not drop the vCore down if it detects a manually dropped multiplier or an over clocked FSB. It also will not drop voltage if vCore is set to anything other than [AUTO]. Therefore the lowest voltage use all round for you would be [Auto] on everything but RAM and MCH.

To be honest, low voltage means nothing. As long as you have good core temps, below 70c you could pump 1.45v maybe even 1.5v through your processor and it doesn't matter one bit. It just makes people feel good to think that they run this cool awesome overclock on 0.0001v. If the same people had decent cooling and the bottle to push voltage and not fear their CPU catching fire they'd have even cooler, even more awesome overclocks.

Here are three screens of my PC running a program called SuperPI. SuperPI calculates the mathematical constant, PI to as many decimal places as you specify. I consider it much more of a valuable test of overall PC performance than Sandra Memory Bandwidth, but I have included that in the shots to show it makes near to bugger all difference.

• Picture 1 is stock, 2.33GHz, 7x333, 800MHz RAM, tightest tRead possible
    • Picture 2 is 2.4Ghz (close as I could get) 400x6, 800MHz RAM, 0.9 of a second quicker......
    • Picture 3 is 3.4GHz, 486x7, 972MHz ram, 6.8 seconds quicker to calculate 1 million decimal places of PI.

CPU speed is king. Ram speed is a luxury, something that you can live without tweaking and still have a much-faster-than-stock system. Lowest tRead, tRFC etc is all secondary, choose 200MHz on your CPU over them any day, heck choose 100MHz. You have a great over clocking chip. I'm not surprised you had trouble trying for 4GHz straight away though. Baby steps, yes, but make sure you take those steps forwards. You can get 3.4GHz easy on 377 FSB, 1:1 RAM (underclocked but it matters not one bit) simply by using your rated RAM volts, 1.2-1.3v MCH 1.5v PLL and 1.2-1.28 VTT (CPU Termination).

If you worry about having your RAM underclocked and what you're missing out on use Super-PI, before and after. Run any other benchmark that isn't solely memory oriented like PC Mark (free trial available), virtually everything you do will depend more on CPU speed.
    Last edited by Psycho101; 09-14-2009 at 07:45 AM.

Second pic (stupid forum... one pic at a time, 150k? Pft!

Final pic, sorry for having to post em over 3 replys.

No problem man, sorry if I sounded a bit miffed... :p

At 333x9 I ran SuperPi 1M in 15.9s on the average. At 400x7.5 I ran it at 15.2 on average. At 445x9 I ran it at 11.5 on average. As I am typing this, I am running Prime (started last night at 11pm) on a 400x8.5 set-up; so far so good... At 400x8.5 Super Pi runs in something like 14s iirc, I will test tonight after Prime finishes for a mroe accurate number and SANDRA shows 8GB/s again, iirc.

The interesting thing that I find is that a modest tweak, ie. 400x7.5 vs. 333x9 gains 21% more GB/s. I think all things considered, that is a good cost/benefit relationship when thinking of keeping things near stock and being less hard on your CPU and MoBo. I understand, though, that I could go 450x9 and run 41C CPU and have a stable system for at least the next few years; long enough to get a different MoBo and CPU, lol. That is where I am heading, at any rate-- I will end up validated at something at or above 4GHz.

Lsdmeasap told me that my MoBo can hanle 2000 - 2200MHz on the FSB, so in reality 500x9 or even 533x9 are possible; though I am lead to believe that I might have a tough time doing it with my particular RAM.

Mostly though, I made this post because I noticed that, as a new clocker, it is hard to find posts where someone shows EXACTLY what they did to acheive a set-up with a particular combination of hardware. There are a lot of posts that are "this is what I am trying, this is what I have done, Please Help..." but they tend to not show a final product. I understand, too, that chips are not 100% identical in function, even if they are the "same" in form and thus, my set-up may not work for someone else if they were to implement it exactly... but, they might have a good starting point.

For those of you that are new to this, like me, here are some links I found that helped me... not necessarily all of them, but enough.

Lsdmeasap's Memory Timing Guide
    Thread about EP45+E8400
    Intel CPU Stable OC Listing
    Thread about getting to 500MHz with EP45
    Lsdmeasap's Strap Comparisons

there are probably 20 more threads I have read in the last month or so, but I didn't bookmark them all.

Oh to answer an earlier question, I have a MassCool 92mm HSF and several case fans. I run 3.6GHz idle at 35C; 4GHz at 40C. This weekend I am going to add a 90mm fan in the bottom of my case pushing air up at the GPU intake, a 100 or 120mm fan in the top of my case above the DIMM slots removing warm air from the case. I already have a 120mm intake fan in the front of the case and am thinking of installing another one above it in the unused 2.5" bays. Not sure about that one though. Here is a post I made that shows a diagram of my fan system, disregard #8, I removed it.
    Last edited by grishkafool; 04-17-2011 at 07:10 AM.

Best Quote Ever...

Regarding the fan set up you have. Adding a 120mm in 3 spare 5.25" bays is one of the best ways to drop CPU temps if you have an "up-right style" CPU cooler. A feed of fresh air directly from outside of the case can do wonders.

I recently upgraded from the standard Lian Li case fans (running on 7v) to a couple of Noctua fans (Ł16 each). Front fan is as usual situated at the bottom of the case, opposite my HD4850, with a thermalRight Trad2. My idle temps on the card (with a Yate Loon high flow 120mm) went from 29c idle to 24c with the fan dialed all the way up. Load temps never got above 46c when running FurMark, max burn setting.

A word of warning if you're thinking of getting the scythe bay fan thing... I sent mine back, because it doesn't fit flush to the sides of the bay openings. Damn thing looked aweful, cheep crap compared to the brushed aluminium case.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information