Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-M78SM-S2H hdd raid boot issue

Default GA-M78SM-S2H hdd raid boot issue

Using this board with Linux only at the moment. Because Ubuntu requires the Sata mode set to Raid to boot, I have the bios (F1, the only other bios only added "Update CPU ID") Sata mode set to Raid rather than IDE mode, which would be used in Windows. The system is using only one hdd, a WD 500G Sata, an older version. It boots Ubuntu from the cd, installs without problem but would not find the partition after installing, likely due to Ubuntu's use of UUID to locate partitions. I partitioned the hdd myself with Gparted prior to installation. I've partitioned enough times to have confidence in it. I was subsequently able to install Suse 11 to another partition and it boots and runs.

However, the issue is that on a cold boot, it can't find the hdd. An immediate C/A/D reboot works. The difference is that on the first boot the bios does not get to the Raid controller or does not see the hdd. On the reboot the Raid bios element comes up and the bios does then see the hdd. Perhaps the bios needs a delay built into the boot to enable it to see the Sata hdd. There is no problem detecting the Sata dvdr in order to boot from cd, at least when the bios is set to Sata Raid mode.

I'm posting here because I could find no way to send Gigatyte an email about this, nor any Gigabyte forums. It's clearly a bios issue because the difference is in the bios' Raid loading or not.

edit: found the correct link and sent an email to Gigabyte
    Last edited by DanceMan; 05-06-2009 at 08:22 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-M78SM-S2H hdd raid boot issue

You can set a delay in the BIOS prior to HD Scans, did you try that? I would suggest you update your BIOS anyway, this issue may have been found and corrected in the BIOS updates. They only list out major changes, many minor changes/fixes are always included.

I can link you to Ubuntu forums and Gigabyte tech email if you still need it let me know

Thread Information