Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5 - GigaByte SATA 2 chip

Default GA-EX58-UD5 - GigaByte SATA 2 chip

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has experinced any issues with the Gigabyte Sata2 Chip / JMB322 chips/contorller.

I have a couple of small issues, just wondering if anyone has had the same. Im using windows 7 64bit rc so it might well be just issues with drivers although the vista 64bt drivers installed like a dream.

1st. issue is the speed of these ports, I noticed that if I use a stripe configuration with my 2x 150g VelociRaptors I only see a score of 5.8 in Windows 7's test (I know! not exactly the best benchmark softwrae).
    Looking at the block digram for the board I see these are on a PCI_E bus so I would have thought its has plenty of bandwith to the ICH10

If I use the same two drives on the ICH10 Sata ports I get a whole .4 more so a score of 6.2

2nd issue is when using the gigabyte sata2 in port multplier mode, I have my drives set to power down after 20 mins in windows which works fine with the drives on the ICH10 but when I go to access any of the drives on the GigaByte controller thier is a delay for a good few secs then all the drives pop-up with autoplay windows as if they were USB removable harddrives, thier also seems to be some issues with the way it powers down these drives as every couple of reboots it wants to do a disk check on them. (If I swap disks between the ICH10 and GB Sata2 the disk swapped to the GB Sata will want checking within a couple of reboots) This seems to happen if ports are set to AHCI or IDE.

Current setup is as follows:

GA-EX58-UD5
    i7 920
    12GB Corsair XMS 1600 (currently not using XMP)
    Antec Signature 850watt PSU
    2x WD Velicoraptor 150GB on ICH10 (SATA2_0, SATA2_1)
    3x ST31500341AS 1.5 TB (SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA 2_4)
    1x WDC1001FALS 1 TB (SATA2_5)
    1x Samsung HD753LJ 750GB (GSATA2_0)
    2x ST3100033AS 1TB (GSTA2_1, GSTA2_2)

Tried all versions of the bios I could find and same issue so I think its more a driver for Windows7 issue but would love to know if anyone had same issues in any other OS

Many thanks,
    Rob

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD5 - GigaByte SATA 2 chip

Since I posted this last night I have spotted a newer driver for the GB Sata2 chip (which is a JMicron 36X) and the newer firmware in the sticky thread.

I am trying the newer driver as I noticed in the release notes that an issue was fixed with Win7 (Fix the issue that DTM 1.3 "Reinstall With IO" failed on Windows 7.)

So I guess this driver is being updated for Windows 7

Not sure if I should try the Firmware update for the Jmicron chip..

Has anyone updated the JMicron 36X chip on the EX58-UD5?

Cheers,
    Rob

Thread Information