Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Different(?) GA-EP45-UD3P reboot loop problem

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Different(?) GA-EP45-UD3P reboot loop problem

I am not so sure about your thoughts there on the tRD, you could be close but I think at 800Mhz tRD of 3 would fail anyway

Can you test using F8 BIOS so we can rule out F9 as a cause of this issue for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I am not so sure about your thoughts there on the tRD, you could be close but I think at 800Mhz tRD of 3 would fail anyway
    Although tRD of 3 boots reliably the first time after I connect power, and passes memtest86+, linpack, OCCT etc. It is only the soft boot that loops.
    Can you test using F8 BIOS so we can rule out F9 as a cause of this issue for you?
    OK, loaded BIOS F8, same problem.

Here was the sequence:

1. Cold power on and enter BIOS.
    2. Load optimized defaults (mainly so I get floppy as the first boot device for safety, and also get my USB drive enabled), save and reboot.
    3. Goes into reboot loop.
    4. Cold power on and enter BIOS.
    5. Install BIOS F8 from USB drive and reboot.
    6. Goes into reboot loop.
    7. Cold power on and enter BIOS.
    8. Load optimized defaults, save and reboot.
    9. Goes into reboot loop.
    10. Cold power on and enter BIOS.
    11. Change memory timings to Manual, then tRD to 7, save changes and reboot.
    12. Goes into reboot loop.
    13. Cold power on and enter BIOS.
    14. Soft power off, then soft power on.
    15. Goes into reboot loop.

After reading through the thread suggested by profJim, and seeing how nawibo found different behavior with different CPUs, I thought I would try out as many different CPUs as I could lay hands on. I tested these by merely swapping the CPU, leaving all the other components and connections untouched. I also repeated the tests (put the different CPUs back a second time to make sure they behaved the same way, which they always did).

The results are interesting:
    Code:
                    E2180   E5200   Q9550
    GA-EP45-UD3P    loop    loop    OK
    GA-EP45-UD3     OK      OK      OK
    GA-X48-DS4      OK      OK      OK
    Asus P5E        OK      OK      OK
    If I had more CPUs available I might be able to work out where the problem with the GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard lies: is it with 200MHz FSB CPUs, or is it with CPUs that have a relatively high VID, or is it with the 65nm process CPUs, or is it some other difference?

Anyway, it looks like I have exhausted the other options, and it is time to send the board back. I just hope my retailer (UMART.COM.AU) doesn't test it with a CPU like my Q9550 and then return it to me saying there is nothing wrong with it!

Thanks to everyone here who has taken the time to make suggestions! I will let you know the outcome (by the time I ship it to UMART, they test it to confirm the problem, they send it back to Gigabyte, Gigabyte sends them a replacement, and they send it back to me, I expect I will be without it for some weeks).

Hmm, very interesting testing you have done. Looks to me like you are correct, either your board does not like 200 FSB or 65Nm CPU's

Good luck with the RMA, if they do send it back to you and say it works you can always RMA to Gigabyte and tell them your exact thoughts and findings from this test and I am sure they would test out a similar CPU for you and see if they can find the issue

Quote Originally Posted by beltbraces View Post
    I will let you know the outcome (by the time I ship it to UMART, they test it to confirm the problem, they send it back to Gigabyte, Gigabyte sends them a replacement, and they send it back to me, I expect I will be without it for some weeks).
    As promised...

On May 15 I posted the motherboard back to UMART complete with a DVD showing my system in its reboot loop and a covering letter summarizing the discussion in this thread (and indeed making mention of this thread in case anything here was helpful to the repairers).

On May 20 I received an e-mail message from UMART's repair department saying that they had forwarded my motherboard to their "channel partner" (I assume this is GIGABYTE's authorized repair agent) for warranty repair. Since UMART say they only do this after they have confirmed the product is faulty I assume that UMART was able to reproduce my problem.

On June 16 I received my motherboard back again. It came with a covering note from a company named Rectron Electronics (presumably the "channel partner") which describes the reported problem as "keep restart" (one hopes that is a summary and that UMART passed on more of the details that I gave them). In the repair section it merely says "updated bios by GBT". This sounded worrying: I had tried various BIOSes myself, and BIOS updates had made absolutely no difference to the problem.

Anyway, I installed the repaired motherboard into a system, booted it up, and guess what? Exactly the same reboot loop problem as when I sent it in, and still running the same F9 BIOS!

So now I have wasted $17.05 on postage, I have been four weeks without the motherboard, UMART have wasted time verifying the fault and forwarding the motherboard to the repair agent, UMART have wasted money shipping the motherboard back to me, and the end result is that we are back exactly where we started!!

I will contact UMART again to see what they have to say about the situation. In particular I would like to know:

• Were they able to verify my problem before they forwarded my motherboard to their channel partner?
    • Did they forward my DVD and covering letter describing the problem to their channel partner?
    • Was their channel partner able to verify my problem before they changed anything?
    • Did the channel partner verify that the problem no longer occurred after they completed their repair?
    • Did UMART verify that the repair had been successful before forwarding the motherboard back to me?
    • What do we do next? Assuming I have to send it back to UMART again, do I have to waste another $17.05 on postage just because the repair was not done properly?

I will report back when there is more news...
    Last edited by beltbraces; 06-16-2009 at 11:27 AM.
    Antec P182 case, 4xNoctua 120mm fans at 5V for silence, Corsair VX550 PSU, Powerware 5110 700VA UPS with 100Ah battery, ASUS P5E motherboard at minimum voltages throughout except CPU, Q9550 CPU at 3.33GHz undervolted by 0.15V for silent air cooling, TRUE 120 CPU cooler, 6GiB KVR800D2E5 ECC RAM at 940MHz 5-5-5-15, 2xWD6400AAKS drives in software RAID1, DVR-216 DVD drive, EN8600GTSLN fanless graphics card, Samsung 215TW monitor, 64-bit Linux OS

@beltbraces

I've had the same problem, with the same board (see sig) with my E8400. I've tried everything mentioned here and other threads and then some. The ONLY thing I haven't replaced is the CPU. Your test all-but confirmed one of my two theories (BIOS setting I missed or CPU compatibility).

I tried F6-F10f, still same problem. Set ALL USB devices to disabled. Loosened RAM timings, all of them. Underclocked, Overclocked, nothing. I can eventually get it up and going from a soft-boot, sometimes it takes 1 reboot, other times 10.

I see enough threads on this, I would have thought Gigabyte would have addressed it by now with a BIOS fix. I doubt it's a hardware problem so they could save a lot of shipping/repairing by releasing a fix for this. Did you ever find a resolution to this problem?
    CPU: E8400 C0 @ 534x7.5 (4005mhz) 1.36 VCore
    Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems + 120mm fan
    Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 Bios F7
    RAM: 2x2GB GSkill 1068mhz 1:1 @ 5-5-5-15 2T 9 tRD 2.10 VDimm
    GPU: XFX Radeon 5870 @ 900/1400
    HDD: Intel 80GB X25-M & WD 750GB AAKS
    PS: Corsair 750HX 80+ Gold Certified
    Case: HSPC Top Deck Tech Station
    Displays: HP LP2475w & Dell 2007WFP (IPS or bust)
    Fans: 2x 120mm on NB/RAM/Mosfets
    Rig Picture

Quote Originally Posted by edge929 View Post
    Did you ever find a resolution to this problem?
    No, making this my second GIGABYTE motherboard that GIGABYTE has been unable to bring up to its advertised specifications. The other one I exchanged for an ASUS board; this one I have relegated to another system that is using a CPU that happens to work with it.

I never did find out whether or not my detailed problem report was passed on to the GIGABYTE repair centre (UMART never replied to my e-mail).

Rectron Electronics did reply, but only to inform me that they are merely middle-men in this process: they received the RMA board from UMART, and then they passed it on to GIGABYTE for repair. They assured me that any problem report that got as far as them would have been passed on, but they keep no records of what they receive.

Interesting to hear that an E8400 has a similar problem. Mine would never soft reboot regardless of how often I tried, so perhaps the problems are not identical?
    Antec P182 case, 4xNoctua 120mm fans at 5V for silence, Corsair VX550 PSU, Powerware 5110 700VA UPS with 100Ah battery, ASUS P5E motherboard at minimum voltages throughout except CPU, Q9550 CPU at 3.33GHz undervolted by 0.15V for silent air cooling, TRUE 120 CPU cooler, 6GiB KVR800D2E5 ECC RAM at 940MHz 5-5-5-15, 2xWD6400AAKS drives in software RAID1, DVR-216 DVD drive, EN8600GTSLN fanless graphics card, Samsung 215TW monitor, 64-bit Linux OS

Edge, what is your problem here? This board should work fine with E8400 as I have used one myself on it and a xeon.

And many world records have been broken with this board and that CPU, so just wanted to ask you for further info on your issue

I will post my BIOS settings tonight if I can. I've posted on a few threads before, had my UD3P since July this year.

I get the same reboot loop that beltbraces and many others have experienced in other threads and other forums across the net with this board.

The most basic scenario is working in Windows, shutdown for the night. Next day, boot up system and it goes into the back-up BIOS reboot. Says OC settings failed but I've tested them for months at current settings. Load my OC settings and reboot. Sometimes it will boot into windows, other times it will fail again. Some days it takes 1 reboot, other days 10. Sometimes I'll have to cut power to the PS completely and leave it off.

Psycho has similar problems, his solution? Don't turn off the computer. I OC too much to not turn off my rig when I only use it for 3 out of 24 hours a day. Sleep mode has similar issues from what I've seen.

I've never gotten a straight answer, hoped it was BIOS related but updating doesn't change anything. Before you ask, I've tested everything, swapped out everything except the CPU. Been building computers and OCing all 50+ of them for 10 years now. I'm convinced my situation is not isolated seeing how I could paste a dozen links at least to others having a similar issue.
    CPU: E8400 C0 @ 534x7.5 (4005mhz) 1.36 VCore
    Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems + 120mm fan
    Mobo: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 Bios F7
    RAM: 2x2GB GSkill 1068mhz 1:1 @ 5-5-5-15 2T 9 tRD 2.10 VDimm
    GPU: XFX Radeon 5870 @ 900/1400
    HDD: Intel 80GB X25-M & WD 750GB AAKS
    PS: Corsair 750HX 80+ Gold Certified
    Case: HSPC Top Deck Tech Station
    Displays: HP LP2475w & Dell 2007WFP (IPS or bust)
    Fans: 2x 120mm on NB/RAM/Mosfets
    Rig Picture

Quote Originally Posted by edge929 View Post
    I will post my BIOS settings tonight if I can. I've posted on a few threads before, had my UD3P since July this year.

I get the same reboot loop that beltbraces and many others have experienced in other threads and other forums across the net with this board.

The most basic scenario is working in Windows, shutdown for the night. Next day, boot up system and it goes into the back-up BIOS reboot. Says OC settings failed but I've tested them for months at current settings.
    Just for the record, my motherboard never did that. My reboot loop started much earlier, before even the first beep, so there was never any display or opportunity load any backup BIOS.

I agree there are a lot of people experiencing reboot loops, but I am not convinced that they are all the same or caused by the same fault.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information