Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UD3R SATA HDD Setup

Default UD3R SATA HDD Setup

I posted here for general BIOS help for a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R a while ago, and recieved helpful feedback. I have another question for you all though, how would I setup BIOS for best use with 1 "SATA II" HDD (WD Caviar SE16)? I just want to maximize OS performance, and get that NCQ or wutever it is enabled. Some related BIOS settings pictured below. I also have one SATA optical drive attached to the same controller. Your help is appreciated.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: UD3R SATA HDD Setup

I suggest you connect the OS SATA Drive to the first yellow port on the board (SATA2_0) then connect your SATA DVD Drive to one of the latter two (SATA2_4/5)

Then you need to tell us what OS you are running? If you are using Vista NCQ will be enabled anyway as long as your drive supports it. If you are running XP you would need to install AHCI Driver during OS Installation and use AHCI BIOS Settings.

Here is what I would use for Vista, no AHCI >>>

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (Yellow Ports) (NON AHCI/RAID MODE Settings)
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. Disabled
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (Purple Ports) << * You can disable these if you are not using IDE Ribbon cable devices or anything on the purple ports
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled << Set to disabled if the above note applies *
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

Thanks for the response. I'm running Windows XP SP3. I'm under the impression that I'm going to have reinstall XP after enabling AHCI in BIOS. Which is fine, since I plan to reinstall anyway. I was also considering installing Windows 7 RC, which I assume would be like Vista and auto do the SATA II thing?

My Hard Drive is connected to SATA2_0, and I moved my Optical drive to SATA2_4.

I'm going to go ahead and disable the Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller as recommended, since I don't have any devices attached to it.

Yes, to use XP in AHCI mode you will need to reinstall XP using the F6 driver install method.

Not sure about Windows 7, I would assume it would have SATA/AHCI Drivers like vista

Good luck with the clean install, and let us know if you need any further help with things

Thanks for the help. I will surely consult back here should anything come up.

On a side note, the motherboard has been good to me, and I find it aesthetically pleasing.

Im doing my first build using Gigabyte EP45-UD3R and E8400. Ready to install XP SP3 tomorrow. How do I make sure that I install AHCI drivers with my fresh install?

You will have to put them on a floppy or Slipstream them with Nlite

Here is the latest XP x86 driver for Intel AHCI, Be sure you choose AHCI When asked and not RAID when selecting the driver
    ftp://download.gigabyte.ru/driver/mo...ootdisk_32.exe

Thanks ...sending you a virtual Scoobie snack

Okay I can put them on a floppy. At which point do i intall them? While installing XP SP3?
    GA-EP45-UD3R, E8400, XP SP3, Corsair 750, EVGA nVidia 9500GT 1GB, Mushkin 2 x 2gb RAM 1066 5-4-4-12, Antec 900, SATA drives/no raid.
    ...__//\____ ____
    ,o` ,/__/_/\_ //____/\
    ```)( |||||| | || |l |
    ,.- ,.-~~-., `-. : As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord.

Just to offer a hint to people on XP or even Vista/Windows 7:

No need to re-install XP, simply go into Device Manager and go to both Intel ICH10 eintries one by one under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

On each controler: Right click > Update driver > browse my computer for driver software > let me pick from a list of devices > click "Have disk" > browse to the location of the XP AHCI drivers .inf file > Install.

Windows will ask you to Re-boot. Do so and straight away, change the relevant settings in the BIOS to use AHCI. Save and exit the BIOS and XP should boot fine, now using AHCI. The "Have driver" F6 option is only necessary when re-installing your OS.

Also I can confirm 100% that Windows 7, like Vista is AHCI aware.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by pchaplo View Post
    Thanks ...sending you a virtual Scoobie snack

Okay I can put them on a floppy. At which point do i intall them? While installing XP SP3?

Right at the beginning of install you will see "Press F6" at the bottom of the screen

Good tip Psycho101, anyone reading this later keep in mind that it may not always go as easily as planned so a backup is always very important.

Also this only applies to IChxR boards I believe, ICHx boards I think you must go thru a much longer process without a clean install

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information