Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ep45-ud3p & q6700 oc suggestions!

Default ep45-ud3p & q6700 oc suggestions!

i just got the board and already own a q6700, so instead of spending noney on a new cpu i thought that i would just oc my current one but i have never done it so i would like to know if anyone could give me a template as to what my settings should be, i would like to bump the fsb up to 1600 instead of 1066,

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: ep45-ud3p & q6700 oc suggestions!

Well first you should start by loading and applying optimized defaults, then save and reboot before making any changes.

Then we can help, but we do need to know what ram you are using and how much in what configuration you have. Can you provide a link or the model # and let us know how much you have (2x1, 2x2, 4x1, ect)

Also let us know what cooler you are using, then we can for sure help you with some settings

This is what i will have as my setup

EP45-UD3P
    q6700
    8 gigs mushkin xp2 ddr2 1066 pc2 8500 996599
    zalman 9700nt cpu cooler
    vista ult x64
    corsair 750tx psu

that is what i am planning on having, but if the cooler is not good enough i was thinking of going with the vigor monsoon III, bit if the cpu is not the best for over clocking then i might just get a new cpu like the q9550 or q9650 even though i really dont want to spend that kind of money on an outdated cpu. I would apreciate any help with this stuff since it is very new to me.

Thanks!
    Last edited by dezmick; 05-09-2009 at 07:10 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya that cooler is a bit small or inadequate for a quad core. What do you mean by Q9550 or 9650 being outdated?

Q6700 is good, but if you have the money for sure go ahead and get a new quad as they will overclock much better.

Just so you know now and not wonder why later, you will have a very rough time getting 8GB Stable (or even running) at 1066Mhz. Especially with a quad, but even with a dual. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you were unaware of that issue

Let us know when you get all your hardware and the system built and we can help you get started with settings

ok lsdmeasap so are you saying that since it will be very hard for me to get 1066 ram stable with 8 gigs, i still would like to run 8 gigs of ram but if 1066 wont work, then should I just go with 800 or 1000 or that 8 gigs no matter what speed are going to be hard to get stable, plus i have decided to get the q9550 and the zalman 9700 nt, as long as i dont do a huge oc will that cooler be good enough? or can you recomend another cooler instead, or would the vigor monsoon III be a good choice at roughly the same price from the egg? i was thinking of something like maybe 3.6 ghz, will the ez tune 6 work with getting me there once i get my stuff which will be at the end of the month?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by dezmick; 05-09-2009 at 11:46 PM.

Thread Information