Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issue with x38-Ds4

Default Issue with x38-Ds4

I really require your help. How can i tell for certain that my MOBO is fried? I came home from work today went to turn the computer on and it wont turn on. I removed all the power cords from the MOBO and did a test of the PSU and it works fine. I also plugged it back in and tried to bypass the power switch by bridging the connectors and i even tried putting in a new battery for the MOBO but nothing works. It worked fine this morning and no-one is here that could have touched it. It doesn't smell, it doesn't have any physical damage, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. Its a Gigabyte X38-DS4 if that helps. I sent a tech support question to Gigabyte but not sure how long it will take to get a response i need to make action on this as soon as i possibly can so if i need to get it replaced i can make an order.

My stats:

• Module size and kit size:-2 x 2GB
    • CPU model and rated speed:-Intel 2 duo E8400 3.0GHZ
    • Motherboard and revision:-Gigabyte X-38-ds4
    • Motherboard Bios rev: F3 (i believe)
    • Video card:-EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS KO
    • Power supply:-OCZ StealthXStream 600W
    • Operating System:-Vista 64bit
    • CPU and System Cooling:-Intel E8400 3.00Ghz Arctic Freezer 7 pro

Thanks guys.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Issue with x38-Ds4

I have just replied to you here, but I will copy my reply to hear as well >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/welc...tml#post298115

MY reply was >>>
    Can you test your ram in another setup? I would test that next.

If your ram tests ok, or if you cannot test it, try clearing the CMOS with one stick in slot one only. Here is my suggested method to clear the CMOS in Post #2 >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Sorry about the other post i wasnt aware i could make a thread since i got directed here from google :) haha .

I have another old computer which I'm now using but my RAM doesn't work in this computer its not compatible with the MOBO (really old computer..) but im going to try this out, i dont really know much about it but ill see what i can do hopefully its not the MOBO. How can i do any of this if i cant get it to power on however? it wont even boot for half a second

No worries about the other post, I just said that incase you missed that I did reply to you there as well

Well you can leave your ram in and try to clear the CMOS as mentioned above, but I would use only one stick in slot one for now.

But really you need to find a DDR2 board you can test your ram in, because if it is the issue you may never know until you test it out. What ram is it anyway? Brand and or Model # or link would be great.

Ahh yeah sorry should have mentioned that. It's OCZ Vista Performance PC6400 DDR2 800MHZ. There are 2 2GB cards in it right now. Ram Link

Thanks! Well for now I would just use one stick in slot one until you get this figured out, if you cannot test them at a friends or elsewhere you are going to have to try both separately. And even then you still will not know if this is the issue or not, you really have to take them somewhere and see if they are both ok or not.

Aside from that, can you test your Power Supply in another system? That could also have went bad on you, normally you would smell that but not always.

I tested My PSU already and it does work fine, im going through the Gigabyte manual and just removed the battery and found the Clear CMOS pins not im looking for the cord to plug into them but cant seem to find any that will fit

Please read the guide I linked you to, in post #2 I tell you how to clear your CMOS >>

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

You need to use a Jumper, like the kind you have on the back of old IDE Drives

Yeah m reading the guide right now but i dont think i have those. Also i was wondering if it could be a problem with my button on the front of the computer maybe the cord is damaged because over the past couple of days it wouldn't turn on from just pressing the power button i had to turn off the back power unplug replug turn back on then press it for it to come on. It didn't happen every time but it happened enough to notice. Anyway i can test that also?

They do not come with your board, you will have to find and old IDE Hard drive or CD Drive and pull on off the back

or you can use a screwdriver and short it, but I hate that because you can just put the jumper on it and walk away for 20 minutes a screwdriver you cannot. Foil would work if you want to use something like that

Yes, you can jump start your board as well, if you feel up to it. That would eliminate the power switch if you think it is faulty. All you do is short those two pins the front power switch goes to and the board will start. Do not attempt this if you do not feel you can easily do it because you can fry your board if you are not sure what you are shorting out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information