Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Hot Swap and Microphone N/G on AMD 780

Question Hot Swap and Microphone N/G on AMD 780

Have a new GA-MA78GM-US2H all setup for Realtek HD Audio and AHCI and have verified drivers and installation for each with Win XP Pro SP3. Two distinct problems exist: (1)I cannot get a microphone to work in front or rear mic jacks and (2)insertion of a drive in a removable SATA tray causes a Win dump screen to occur and requires a cold system shutdown and restart. I have several other Intel Gigabyte systems and all have Realtek HD mic working and hot swap fully operational with Star Tech removable SATA trays using "USB Safely Remove" to eject the hot swap drives in those builds with 100% functionality. The setup for each is very familiar to me but this is my first AMD Gigabyte board. Device manager clearly shows all devices properly installed and functional but I get no mic input and can't insert a drive without a severe hardware crash. Have I possibly overlooked something simple or have I got a bad board. It's a brand new Newegg purchase with a X2 5600 AM2 and is a real nice performer but I need it to be fully functional. Any ideas appreciated.

Default Re: Hot Swap and Microphone N/G on AMD 780

Quote Originally Posted by JackOverIP View Post
    Have a new GA-MA78GM-US2H all setup for Realtek HD Audio and AHCI and have verified drivers and installation for each with Win XP Pro SP3. Two distinct problems exist: (1)I cannot get a microphone to work in front or rear mic jacks and (2)insertion of a drive in a removable SATA tray causes a Win dump screen to occur and requires a cold system shutdown and restart. I have several other Intel Gigabyte systems and all have Realtek HD mic working and hot swap fully operational with Star Tech removable SATA trays using "USB Safely Remove" to eject the hot swap drives in those builds with 100% functionality. The setup for each is very familiar to me but this is my first AMD Gigabyte board. Device manager clearly shows all devices properly installed and functional but I get no mic input and can't insert a drive without a severe hardware crash. Have I possibly overlooked something simple or have I got a bad board. It's a brand new Newegg purchase with a X2 5600 AM2 and is a real nice performer but I need it to be fully functional. Any ideas appreciated.
    Have you completely uninstalled the Realtek HD Audio Drivers and reinstalled them more than one time and confirmed they are the very latest version?
    <<< LGA2011 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply: CORSAIR AX Series AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular (NE Link)
    > Chipset : Intel X99
    > Mainboard :Gigabyte GA-X99-Ultra Gaming
    (NE Link)
    > Processor : i7-6850K (NE Link)
    > AIO: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 (NE Link)
    > Physical Memory : G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW (NE Link)
    > Video Card : 2x ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING (NE Link)

<<< LGA1366 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply:
    >>>Original PSU (2011-01) :
    Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade PSU (2012-01) : CORSAIR AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W (NE Link)
    > Chipset : Intel X58
    > Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (REV.2.0) (FB BIOS)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > Processor : i7-950 (Revision D0) 3.0GHz @3.84GHz
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > HSF:
    Noctua NH-D14 (NE Link MPP Link)
    > Physical Memory :
    >>>Original RAM (2011-01) : G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
    >>>Upgrade RAM (2012-01) : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) w/FrostByte Heatsink Model 998990 (NE Link MPP Link OverClockersClub Dot Com Article)
    > Video Card :
    >>>Original Vid Card (2011-01) : BFG Geforce GTX295 (
    NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2012-01) : (2) EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GTX 560 Ti (2GB)-SLI (
    NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2013-07) : (2) GTX 760-SLI Gigabyte GV-N760OC-4GB (NE Link)
    > DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B ATA Device
    > Monitor :
    ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26" (
    NE Link)
    > Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate
    > Case : COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel (
    NE Link)

<<< LGA775 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply: Corsair 620HX (
    NE Link)
    > Mainboard : Gigabyte P35-S3G (F2 BIOS)
    > Chipset : Intel P35
    > Processor : Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale (Revision C0) 3.0GHz @ 3950 MHz
    > HSF: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    > Physical Memory : CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) (
    Link)
    > Video Card : BFG Geforce GTX295
    >
    Monitor : ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26"

Did complete Realtek driver and application uninstall in safe mode within device manager with show_nonpresent_devices environment variable set to on. Completely removed all audio devices and upon reinstall, confirmed MS UAA installed first. Tried this procedure with both the latest drivers on the GB site and the later latest drivers on the Realtek site. That combined with the hot swap error points me toward the defective chipset hardware suspicion. Still inviting ideas though.

Did complete Realtek driver and application uninstall in safe mode within device manager with show_nonpresent_devices environment variable set to on. Completely removed all audio devices and upon reinstall, confirmed MS UAA installed first. Tried this procedure with both the latest drivers on the GB site and the later latest drivers on the Realtek site. That combined with the hot swap error points me toward the defective chipset hardware suspicion. Still inviting ideas though.
    Here's a way/ idea to check for ghost drivers without going into safe mode like the old win98 days forced you to:

ClickMe to see how to Remove Unused Devices(About half way down the page read where it says, "Remove Unused Devices".)

And JackOverIP,

I'm in the dark about AHCI. Can you tell me anything the mite pertain to your problem here: HOW TO switch from IDE to AHCI mode without having to reinstall Win XP (GUIDE)

I noticed it yesterday, and I'm just wondering if its maybe an idea. So, if it is nothing let me know. If its something let me know.

Thanks
    > Power Supply: CORSAIR AX Series AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular (NE Link)
    (NE Link)
    > Physical Memory : G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW (NE Link)

> Power Supply:
    Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > HSF:
    > Physical Memory :
    >>>Original RAM (2011-01) : G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
    >>>Upgrade RAM (2012-01) : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) w/FrostByte Heatsink Model 998990 (NE Link MPP Link OverClockersClub Dot Com Article)
    > Video Card :
    NE Link)
    NE Link)
    > Monitor :
    NE Link)
    NE Link)

NE Link)
    Link)
    >

If you noticed, I wrote that I already use the show_nonpresent_devices environment variable to list unused devices and with the Realtek HD drivers it's necessary to use safe mode to keep XP from doing the automatic detection thing and reinstalling the drivers at startup so that the MS UAA can be installed before the Realtek HD drivers.
    On the AHCI thing, it's simple to install the AHCI drivers after the op sys on the GB MBs with the SATA and IDE controllers separate. Use a duplicator like CASPER (I beta'd versions 4 and 5) to copy the SATA sys to an IDE drive, then set the bios to boot from the IDE and enable the AHCI and voila, XP will see the AHCI and prompt you for the drivers for it and install them on the IDE. Reboot the IDE and CASPER it bcak to the AHCI SATA with the new drivers and set the boot back to the AHCI SATA and it's done-drivers now installed and working on the SATA/AHCI and hot swap and NCQ flying.

see the JackOverIP.com site to see the CASPER link....

If you noticed, I wrote that I already use the show_nonpresent_devices environment variable to list unused devices and with the Realtek HD drivers it's necessary to use safe mode to keep XP from doing the automatic detection thing and reinstalling the drivers at startup so that the MS UAA can be installed before the Realtek HD drivers.
    On the AHCI thing, it's simple to install the AHCI drivers after the op sys on the GB MBs with the SATA and IDE controllers separate. Use a duplicator like CASPER (I beta'd versions 4 and 5) to copy the SATA sys to an IDE drive, then set the bios to boot from the IDE and enable the AHCI and voila, XP will see the AHCI and prompt you for the drivers for it and install them on the IDE. Reboot the IDE and CASPER it bcak to the AHCI SATA with the new drivers and set the boot back to the AHCI SATA and it's done-drivers now installed and working on the SATA/AHCI and hot swap and NCQ flying.

see the JackOverIP.com site to see the CASPER link....
    Cool thanks. I'll have to read about Casper's features. I've been Imagining PCs for over ten years now with the three more of the most popular Software(s) and several other less successful ones.
    (NE Link)

> Power Supply:
    Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > HSF:
    > Physical Memory :
    > Video Card :
    NE Link)
    NE Link)
    > Monitor :
    NE Link)
    NE Link)

NE Link)
    Link)
    >

Thread Information