Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stock Q6600 on GA-X38-DQ6 with 2x2GB Corsair 1066 = Fail :(

spec is offline Member

Default Re: Stock Q6600 on GA-X38-DQ6 with 2x2GB Corsair 1066 = Fail :(

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Maybe the Performance Level tRD of 6 is causing the issue with the 4.00 multi, have you tried with 7-8?

What is your actual applied ram voltage from the +3.-.35 settings? You can check in the PC Health section or with Everest ultimate, maybe it is actually alot lower than that
    I noticed something in the BIOS - SPD for tRd was 4 and I had set it to [Auto], in windows memset shows performance level 6 which is different to this value from the BIOS.
    I changed the BIOS to 6 now and the Prime Test ran longer - about twice as long before it failed. Today I'll try increasing this to 7 and then 8.

I don't have Everest, I'm using HWBench and it shows me 2.06v minimum for +0.3 and 2.13v minimum for +0.35 under load.

To Th3_uN1Qu3 - I've bought a matched 4GB pair - Dominator, so they should work in that pair.
    It may not be possible for me to take this back to my retailer, since these RAM are a bit old - 2-3 months, I had left them in the machine before going on my travels and now that I'm back, I tried to run them on spec resulting in this thread. So if nothing works it'll have to be Corsair... I guess I'll stand a better chance, since this was a matched/binned 4GB pair.
    Intel Core i5 4670k C0 @4.2Ghz - Corsair H80i
    Gigabyte GA-Z97x-SOC Force (Rev 01, BIOS F6C)
    16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz DDR3 9-10-9-27 1.5v
    Gigabyte R9 280x OC Windforce

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Small print - All suggestions I give on this forum are just that - Suggestions.
    I'm merely suggesting an approach/opinion which I would have taken - You are welcome to try at your own risk.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Well SPD is made for Nvidia boards so using it will not work properly always in an Intel board, and of course Auto may use those values or similar and can also be too tight as well. So you are best in setting that yourself, depending on voltages, FSB, ram speed, MCH Strap and multiplier you may or may not be able to use 6-7. So you may need to either raise your voltages more if you want to use 6, or just move on and use 7

spec is offline Member

SPD for nVidia ? Oh, I never knew that, I thought it was an intel spec.

What I've done now is set it all manually.
    I changed tRd to 7 and it passed once, but now is failing again.
    I'm trying the following tests:
    - In-place large FFTs (Maximum heat, power consumption, some RAM tested)
    - Blend (tests some of everything, lots of RAM tested)

When I changed to 7, it initially passed the "in-place FFT" test.
    Then I tried the Blend and it failed, I again tried "in-place FFT" and it failed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm merely suggesting an approach/opinion which I would have taken - You are welcome to try at your own risk.

spec is offline Member

I ran a few more tests now and the following appears to work for now.

FSB - +0.1v
    MCH - Normal (No overvolt)
    tRD - 8
    DDR Overvolt - +0.3
    CPU - 1.26250

Memtest passes, Prime95 'in-place fft' and 'blend' test both pass.

Isn't this really slow for 1066 RAM for something like a really standard 2x2GB combo ?

I actually got my ram running stable on the same hardware (different ram brand) by lowering my ram voltage to 1.984v instead of the recommended 2.1v. Now it ran a prime95 blend test for 24 hours with no problem. If you have problems in the future, you might give it a shot. I can't remember if that is +.2 v in the bios or +.15 Either way, set it, reboot and see if it reads aroudn 1.984v

spec is offline Member

Old issue this one... It's solved now.
    Gave the earlier sticks away and now running with 2 new ones, same spec 2x4GB.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information