Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: CoolNQuiet and SmartFAN no longer work!

Default CoolNQuiet and SmartFAN no longer work!

Hi!
    I have a GA-MA790GP-UD4H.
    Today, suddenly neither CoolNQuiet and SmartFAN stopped working. Fan always runs at 1900RPM no matter the load when it used to run at 1200ish RPM, and the CPU is always at full speed on "Balanced" in the Vista Power Management options, and always runs at 800MHz no matter the load when in "Energy Saver". It no longer varies!

What's going on? They're both enabled in the BIOS. Why would it suddenly stopped working?
    Additionally, even though the BIOS correctly reports under MIT that the "normal" CPU voltage is 1.325V, when set up to "normal", it pumps 1.3945V.

Help!

Default Re: CoolNQuiet and SmartFAN no longer work!

If you haven't rechecked it in the bios already.Sounds like you had bios go to failsafe or previos bootable settings on a bad boot/youll get a small red screen that says it could boot at settings upon entering bios or next screen. The bios will failsafe instead of having to clear cmos/but all your settings are still there. If you just hit enter and save every thing will go back to what you had.But sounds like you might to tweak some.
    My fan is the first thing I notice if this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by axy1985 View Post
    Hi!
    I have a GA-MA790GP-UD4H.
    Today, suddenly neither CoolNQuiet and SmartFAN stopped working. Fan always runs at 1900RPM no matter the load when it used to run at 1200ish RPM, and the CPU is always at full speed on "Balanced" in the Vista Power Management options, and always runs at 800MHz no matter the load when in "Energy Saver". It no longer varies!

What's going on? They're both enabled in the BIOS. Why would it suddenly stopped working?
    Additionally, even though the BIOS correctly reports under MIT that the "normal" CPU voltage is 1.325V, when set up to "normal", it pumps 1.3945V.

Help!

Default Re: CoolNQuiet and SmartFAN no longer work!

Well, I did flash to the F2 BIOS, and I did notice that everything went back to default. I tweaked the settings again to exactly what I had them. Did not work.
    I decided to rollback to a previous restore point in windows, and that fixed CoolNQuiet. Huh, who knows.
    Voltage is still 1.39 under "Normal", and SmartFAN is still running way too fast for the temps, but those I could fix. Placing +0.025V for the CPu got me to a lot more normal 1.344V (so why is "Normal 1.39? Who knows), and I had to install Easytune6 to control the fan to normal speeds.

I still would like to know what triggered so many changes though. The F2 BIOS? I tried to rollback to my previous BIOS, but was now showing the same "problems".

Thanks.

Thread Information