Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-MA790GP-UD4H not starting

Default GA-MA790GP-UD4H not starting

New install with the following specs:

Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Black Edition CPU
    Zalman CNPS9500A CPU cooler
    G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ memory
    Rosewill RX-850-S-B power supply
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
    Samsung 22X DVD Burner Model# SH-S223F

I can not get this setup to start up. When trying to start both case fans and cpu fan will start for about 2 seconds and then everything shuts down. CPU, memory, power supply all test ok and run in other setups. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Default Re: GA-MA790GP-UD4H not starting

Could be a few things. Are you certain that the motherboard is not shorting out on the case (all standoffs in correct place)? Have you tried with just one stick of ram? Double checked all header connectors from motherboard to case? 24 pin power and 6 pin power connectors both hooked up? I've also seen this happen with defective on/off case switches. Curious: I see no mention of video card ... are you using onboard VGA?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Yes I have double checked that board is not shorting out on the case, even bench mounted the board to eliminate the possibility. I have checked all connectors and pins and all appear to be good. I have used a second power supply and another set of memory to try and rule those items out as well as trying just 1 stick of memory. With the main 24 pin connector plugged in alone the fans will run but with the 8 pin 12v connector it shuts down. I have also used just the 4 pin in place of the 8 and have the same results. I am trying to use just onboard video at this point to eliminate any possibility of a problem with a card or slot. I hadn't thought about the case switch, so I will check that out this evening. Thanks for the reply.

Remove the power switch pins from the front panel headers on the board and jump the 2 pins corresponding with power switch with a screwdriver or the like. This will eliminate the power switch being a possability.

I have a GA-MA78GPM-DS2H which also has side port memory. I have found out the after spending a bit of time on it that if you make a change in BIOS that is to do with the side port memory, you must remove the RAM, let the motherboard fail post, turn off PC, put RAM back in and PC boots fine. Was the only solution I came up with and worth a shot for you
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
    Intel E6400 @ 3.2GHz
    Kingston 1GB x 4 PC5300 @ 800MHz
    Zotac 8800GT AMP! @ 770MHz

this probably isnt the case but, make sure the HSF is securely mounted. im not too familiar with AMD these days but that problem is universal.

No POST no beeps nothing?
    Turn the PSU off, wait a second, turn the pc on to drain all current. Take RAM out, CMOS battery out for a few minutes, place back in, turn PSU on. With no ram installed turn it on. see if it gives you an error code.
    Last edited by drewis; 05-13-2009 at 10:00 PM.
    Gigabyte X58 UD5 Rev 1.0, X5670 @ 4.2GHz GTX980Ti

Thanks for the replies. Switched is good as well. I have tried this thing with just about every conceivable combination of solutions I can think of. I have reset CMOS several times as well to check. It will not run long enough to even try to POST so there are no beeps at all, no video output, nothing. It's almost as if there is some sort of conflict with the CPU and this board, even though the CPU is on the approved list. If I had a different AMD CPU I would try it out just to check. Still looking for suggestions.

Thread Information