Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GA-P35-DS3R dual channel problem

Default Re: GA-P35-DS3R dual channel problem

Simonkeys,

Sry if this sounds stupid to ask, but have you checked out the following for solutions?

2BrightSparks :: View Forum - SyncBack V3 (freeware)
    <<< LGA2011 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply: CORSAIR AX Series AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular (NE Link)
    > Chipset : Intel X99
    > Mainboard :Gigabyte GA-X99-Ultra Gaming
    (NE Link)
    > Processor : i7-6850K (NE Link)
    > AIO: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 (NE Link)
    > Physical Memory : G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW (NE Link)
    > Video Card : 2x ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING (NE Link)

<<< LGA1366 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply:
    >>>Original PSU (2011-01) :
    Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade PSU (2012-01) : CORSAIR AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W (NE Link)
    > Chipset : Intel X58
    > Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (REV.2.0) (FB BIOS)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > Processor : i7-950 (Revision D0) 3.0GHz @3.84GHz
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > HSF:
    Noctua NH-D14 (NE Link MPP Link)
    > Physical Memory :
    >>>Original RAM (2011-01) : G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
    >>>Upgrade RAM (2012-01) : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) w/FrostByte Heatsink Model 998990 (NE Link MPP Link OverClockersClub Dot Com Article)
    > Video Card :
    >>>Original Vid Card (2011-01) : BFG Geforce GTX295 (
    NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2012-01) : (2) EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GTX 560 Ti (2GB)-SLI (
    NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2013-07) : (2) GTX 760-SLI Gigabyte GV-N760OC-4GB (NE Link)
    > DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B ATA Device
    > Monitor :
    ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26" (
    NE Link)
    > Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate
    > Case : COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel (
    NE Link)

<<< LGA775 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply: Corsair 620HX (
    NE Link)
    > Mainboard : Gigabyte P35-S3G (F2 BIOS)
    > Chipset : Intel P35
    > Processor : Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale (Revision C0) 3.0GHz @ 3950 MHz
    > HSF: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    > Physical Memory : CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) (
    Link)
    > Video Card : BFG Geforce GTX295
    > DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B ATA Device
    >
    Monitor : ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26"
    > Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by simonkeys View Post
    I have checked each ram stick individually, and tried different slots. What I see is:

There is copying corruption when using both sticks in dual-channel mode (either pair of dual-channel slots). When using either stick by itself, or both sticks in single channel mode, there is no corruption.

Memtest (latest version) passes for any memory configuration (single-channel, dual-channel, single stick).

I set a backup program (SyncBack 2BrightSparks | Freeware) to repeatedly copy a several GB file, MD5 verify, and bring up a log file if it finds an error. It finds an error on something like one out of every three passes. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether the file is being copied between two HDs or just duplicated on the same HD. I also tried using another known good harddrive, so I don't think the Samsungs are the problem.

Yeah, I guess Windows doesn't really have to be bit-perfect to run :) Actually, since the errors mostly occur when copying really big files, it might have squeaked through ok on installation.
    Although it doesn't explain why hardware (ie memory) alters the equation, but are you using this Synback Software as an aid to troubleshooting this corruption problem, or do you use the software anyway?

It would be just as easy to take a group of MP3's and zip them up with say 7-ZIP (with it's solid block feature) and move it and copy back and forth.
    7-Zip
    and then testing the archive regularly with it's test feature.

Just to be certain here, you are not copying to any external device?

Also have you any other software not so well known programs or apps on your system?

I find it weird, that XP installed without issue. Can you check too from the command prompt your Hard Drives at disk structure level, by entering the following from the command line (you'll need to bring up the dos window by typing CMD in the Run box (XP) Smartsearch (Vista))

chkdsk c: /r /v

it will be interesting to see what that reports.

I'm still curious what a full HD clean and clean install of windows would bring with no other software on your system. ie a zero fill on your hard drives with the samsung utility (ERASES all info), then a HD extended test, followed by the installation of windows.

Yeah, I guess Windows doesn't really have to be bit-perfect to run :) Actually, since the errors mostly occur when copying really big files, it might have squeaked through ok on installation.
    How big are the files and as mentioned above, is this to an external drive. I ask because there have been some external HD enclosure "bridges" (mainly in the past now) causing data corruption on copied data (specifically on large files).
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 07-01-2009 at 10:09 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    Although it doesn't explain why hardware (ie memory) alters the equation, but are you using this Synback Software as an aid to troubleshooting this corruption problem, or do you use the software anyway?

It would be just as easy to take a group of MP3's and zip them up with say 7-ZIP (with it's solid block feature) and move it and copy back and forth.
    7-Zip
    and then testing the archive regularly with it's test feature.
    I was doing that initially. I switched to the backup program because I could set it to repeatedly copy and check without me having to do anything. I think that it uses Windows' copy command, so I think it should be equivalent.

Just to be certain here, you are not copying to any external device?
    That's correct, right now I am just copying from the internal HD to itself.

Also have you any other software not so well known programs or apps on your system?
    Just Firefox, AVG Anti-virus, and a bunch of hardware monitoring/benchmarking programs. I have previously tried reinstalling Windows, and the same problems occurred with a clean install.

I find it weird, that XP installed without issue.
    Actually, now that I think about it, I believe that installation failed on at least one of my attempts. So there may be the same intermittent errors during installation.

Can you check too from the command prompt your Hard Drives at disk structure level, by entering the following from the command line (you'll need to bring up the dos window by typing CMD in the Run box (XP) Smartsearch (Vista))

chkdsk c: /r /v

it will be interesting to see what that reports.
    Here's the results:

Code:
    Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.                         
    Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
    Cleaning up 84 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 84 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 84 unused security descriptors.
    CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    File data verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    Free space verification is complete.

40957685 KB total disk space.
      36592436 KB in 20984 files.
          6772 KB in 1933 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
         90529 KB in use by the system.
         65536 KB occupied by the log file.
       4267948 KB available on disk.
    I'm still curious what a full HD clean and clean install of windows would bring with no other software on your system. ie a zero fill on your hard drives with the samsung utility (ERASES all info), then a HD extended test, followed by the installation of windows.
    I think that I have more or less tried this already, with some previous clean installs. If I get a chance, I'll take another shot at it...

How big are the files and as mentioned above, is this to an external drive. I ask because there have been some external HD enclosure "bridges" (mainly in the past now) causing data corruption on copied data (specifically on large files).
    It's an internal drive...I'm copying a 6.5GB file and a 770MB file (from a game installer DVD). Both of the files experience the copying errors, the big file more often than the smaller file.

Thanks again to you and everyone who's helping me out with this...
    CPU: Q6600 (G0) @ 2.4GHz
    Mobo: Gigabyte P35-DS3R (rev. 1.0), bios F13b
    RAM: 2x2GB OCZ PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz Reaper HPC OCZ2RPR800C44GK

Video: Gigabyte GeForce 8600GT GV-NX86T256H (passively cooled)
    HD: 1x Samsung HD501LJ, 1x Samsung HD103SJ
    Case: Antec P182
    PSU: Thermaltake TR2-430W
    HS: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
    Fans: S-Flex SFF21E heat sink fan, two Tri-Cool case fans
    Monitor: Dell UltraSharp 2005 FPW
    Audio interface: Echo AudioFire4 Firewire,
    Mackie 1202VLZPro analog mixer
    Audio monitor: 2x Mackie HR824 powered monitors

spec is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by simonkeys View Post
    It's an internal drive...I'm copying a 6.5GB file and a 770MB file (from a game installer DVD). Both of the files experience the copying errors, the big file more often than the smaller file.
    You might be aware that Game installer media usually have some form of bit level protection on the data and copying files using backup software may not work sometimes... I'm beginning to suspect both the data on DVD media and the program you are using for copying.
    Is the data corruption occurring on any other backup program, windows copy ?
    Intel Core i5 4670k C0 @4.2Ghz - Corsair H80i
    Gigabyte GA-Z97x-SOC Force (Rev 01, BIOS F6C)
    16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz DDR3 9-10-9-27 1.5v
    Gigabyte R9 280x OC Windforce

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Small print - All suggestions I give on this forum are just that - Suggestions.
    I'm merely suggesting an approach/opinion which I would have taken - You are welcome to try at your own risk.

Ok, perhaps trying another approach to troubleshooting might be an idea.

Whilst having your bios settings still set to the optimised defaults, bar Performance Enhance being then manually set to Standard (by yourself).

Could you set:-
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz) to 200Mhz (from the default of 266Mhz) and have your memory in dual channel mode (I assuming you are using both of the yellow slots)

It'll be interesting to see if data corruption occurs if your board is underclocked and less stressed.

Also is your Northbridge Heatsink properly attached? They do get fairly hot with memory at higher frequencies and run fairly hot even at stock.

Edit:-
    Have you tried using the two Red Dimm slots rather than the yellow ones?
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 07-01-2009 at 07:33 PM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    Whilst having your bios settings still set to the optimised defaults, bar Performance Enhance being then manually set to Standard (by yourself).

Could you set:-
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz) to 200Mhz (from the default of 266Mhz) and have your memory in dual channel mode (I assuming you are using both of the yellow slots)
    Ok, I tried this. I still get the data corruption. I also tried manual copying and using 7-zip for file checking, per spec's suggestion, and I get the same results: broken archives when using dual channel, and no problems for one stick of ram.

Also is your Northbridge Heatsink properly attached? They do get fairly hot with memory at higher frequencies and run fairly hot even at stock.
    I don't know how to check whether the heatsink is properly attached...it isn't loose or anything like that...

Have you tried using the two Red Dimm slots rather than the yellow ones?
    I have tried that in the past...however, while I was in the process of trying it again, it looks like I managed to fry half of my ram.

I guess this is kind of a bad news/good news situation...at least now, after I buy a new set, I'll be able to definitively check whether the ram was the problem.

Do you have any suggestions on what kind of ram to buy?

If the NorthBridge Heatsink appears to be firmly attached then I'd be ok with that.

As far of makes of Ram go, it really is difficult to choose. I normally look for Quality make, which has technical resources available and even maybe their own forum. Also probably the main thing to look for is whether support (ie RMA) is good in the area of the world you live in.

For me I found OCZ to be excellent - their european techical support (that covers the UK) I found were much better than other companies I have dealt with in relation to PC components.

Hi everyone,

I'm posting to this old thread just to thank you all for your help with this problem. After I fried my last batch of ram, I bought some new OCZ ram and that appears to have done the trick. I either had some bad ram to begin with or there was some kind of weird incompatibility.

I'm still getting some high-pitched buzzing from the power supply, but that seems to be an entirely separate issue...

Anyway, thanks again.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Glad to hear your new memory has you running smoothly!

Best to test a different PSU now, just to be sure your current one is not going bad and to be sure this is the cause of that noise.

It seems that the buzzing is a somewhat common issue with Corsair and other high-efficiency PSUs: silentpcreview.com | View topic - Corsair HX520 buzz/whine issues (other PSUs discussed too)

Apparently, the problem is that the PSUs are very sensitive to interactions with other components in the system. Unfortunately, that means that if I RMA the Corsair, the replacement may very well show the same problem once I put it in the system.

I may give the RMA a shot, but I might end up having to give up on this PSU and buy another model entirely...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information