Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EX58-Extreme/Realtek Ethernet/Windows Vista Ultimate

Default EX58-Extreme/Realtek Ethernet/Windows Vista Ultimate

I have been runing for the past 2 years on a Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 (Rev.1) motherboard and windows vista ultimate. Everything was running fine.

I decided to upgrade my computer to EX58-extreme mother board. ATI graphic card Radeon X550 (previous computer), OCZ PC3 14400 1800MHz (2Gb), SATA hard disk and been running on it windows vista ultimate and bios updated to latest F7c i think (the one before F8b). I am using Intel Core i7 940 2.93GHz.

I have been formating the computer for couple of times due to the blue screen error i get. I have noticed after couple of formating and gradually installing each driver on its own, that the blue screen effect takes place one i install the Realtek ethernet driver. Once i install it and just run the internet for few minutes the windows turns blue and restarts.

Thus my conclusion is that the blue screen is cause by the Realtek ethernet driver. I have even downloaded the software from this website which was newer than the one on my DVD.

Is there a way around the blue screen, i have been running windows vista for almost the last two years and never got the blue screen, as well i am running it on 2 laptops and the same never even saw the blue screen.

Need help if there is a way around this.
    Thanks
    Tariq
    Last edited by tariqmirza; 05-15-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Default Re: EX58-Extreme/Realtek Ethernet/Windows Vista Ultimate

Good news i managed to fix the bug of the blue screen, only now suffering windows vista getting frozen from time to time but bearable.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    What i did was i downgraded the “Intel chipset device software” or the INF that comes with the installation DVD to version 9.0.0.1008, forgot what the version that comes on the DVD but it was a higher version. But it works now, no more blue screen YET. I have been running it for a whole day now and everything is fine apart from the freezing issue.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Thanks<o:p></o:p>
    Tariq<o:p></o:p>

If it's freezing there's most likely something wrong with your memory. Post your BIOS settings and Lsdmeasap should be here to help.

Realtek network chips are pieces of junk anyway, but they generally are working pieces of junk in regular applications. When it comes to any serious load though... I blew 6 Realtek network cards in an year by using them in a FREESCO-based router box, and then switched to 3Com (bought two used for $10) which have been running for over 2 years with 99% uptime. However 3Com has stopped manufacturing network cards, as i said i bought them used. If you want new, Intel's cards are a good choice.

Disable the onboard network and use the machine for gaming, movies, etc, without using the internet. If the freezing stops, spend $30 on a real network card.
    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 05-16-2009 at 11:59 PM.
    Pro hardware technician for PC, Laptop and Sound equipment.

Thanks for the reply "Th3 uN1Qu3", i managed to get over the freezing issue just rearranged the SATA disks, i have 3 of them plus SATA DVD writer and now works fine. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Maybe the issue is not really with Realtek, since i downgraded Intel chipset devise the problem disappeared. It seems the newer version has some issue with the motherboard. Also, once you install the new version of intel a message appears from Windows vista saying there is an issue with Intel architecture I/O (don't remember the exact words).<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Anyway it works fine after one week of playing around with it.

Thread Information