Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Cooling the Q6600

Question Cooling the Q6600

Today the Xigmatek Crossbow arrived. It is a mechanical cross piece that I will use to secure my S1283 Red Scorpion CPU cooler, instead of using those (insert expletive here) friction pins to hold the cooler. The down side is I have to remove the motherboard...bummer... of course the good news is I'll have a secure mating of the CPU and cooler. Now my question... ideas for applying the thermal compound?

I've used Arctic Silver 5 since I ran out of Arctic Silver 3 and see no reason to change now. A long way to get to the question of how do I apply the thermal compound to the best advantage? Three methods come to mind.
    1) Use a baggie and smear a VERY light coating over the CPU.

2) put a small string across the cooler 90 degrees to the heat pipes.

3) put a rice size amount in the middle of each heat pipe in the direction of the heat pipe.

Of course, the idea is to get a good mating between the CPU and cooler and to distribute the weight of the cooler on the board.

All right, one more question. Would you mount the cooler vertically? Or does it matter? Wondering that if there is a liquid in the heat pipes, which I gather there is, if the liquid would do a better job of cooling in one direction or the other. I expect with all that 'copper' my EP-UD3R can better handle the weight with the Crossbow.

It was a very hot day today and my idle temperatures were in the mid to high 40's C. The ambient room temperature was about 27 deg C. I need all the cooling I can get from the Scorpion.

So the big day is when I can get some good ideas from you folks and take my poor system completely apart and give the cooler the connection that it should have had all along. For those of you that have the same issue, the kit is called the Xigmatech Crossbow and supports both LGA775 and LGA1366. The part number is ACK-17361. I got it from Newegg for $9.99.

As always any and all help is appreciated!

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: Cooling the Q6600

The Arctic Silver website has PDF files that detail the procedure for applying the TIM.
    I put a small line of TIM (the size of a grain of rice) in the center of the cpu surface and apply a slight twisting motion to the heat sink as it is installed.

Most recommend using isopropyl alcohol to clean both surfaces, my preference is denatured alcohol.

I've been happy with Arctic Silver's Ceramique and bought a 22 gram tube for little more than the price of the AS5 in a small tube.
    I now have enough to last dozens of users for several lifetimes.

Don't forget to remove any clear protective plastic film from the business end of your new cooler.
    I've heard that cpu coolers don't work very well when the protective cover is left in place.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

As mentioned the Arctic Silver website will have methods for aplication. Although for a dual core, a vertical line is fine, they recommend a horizontal line of paste for Core 2 Quad. It must be a thin line of paste in a certain orientation to the cores. Orientation to HSF heat pipes doesn't matter as the CPU IHS does a good job of spreading the heat across its surface.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Regardless of any instructions, i find the best way to be a grain in the middle, twisting the cooler around a bit and letting the paste spread by itself.

Using something to spread the paste increases the possibility of dust getting in it by 1000x. Applying a line is pointless unless you are really really sure that it has the right orientation, even so the heat spreads rather evenly on the IHS so you're likely to have too much paste on one side and too little on the other.
    Pro hardware technician for PC, Laptop and Sound equipment.

If the line of paste is applied as per the instructions, and there are different instructions for each core configuration, the pressure of the heatsink will spread the paste evenly. The only way you'll get an uneven spreadis if you don't tighten the HSF down properly, ie screw down alternating diagonal corners (top left, bottom right, top right, bottom left) or if your mounting mechanism is crooked.

The heat spreader doing a good job of spreading heat (and it does I agree) will not in any way mean your paste will be uneven. That doesn't make sense.

A line, a blob, spreading over the IHS (which does not increase likelyhood of contaminating the paste with dust), it doesn't really matter. Us enough paste, not too much not too lttle. If you have plenty and really care about the best temps, try both ways. If not, use one, secure the HSF, check the temps. Job done.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

You forget that the heatspreader itself could be uneven. I lapped my CPU, i know what i'm talking about.

In addition, don't see the line method working simply because you'll have too much paste on two sides and too little on the other two. Yes the cooler will spread it if you put enough, but that would mean it'll drip outside on two sides.
    Pro hardware technician for PC, Laptop and Sound equipment.

kick is offline Senior Member

Having tried a few methods with different heatsinks I found the "line" dual or quad method the best.<with a twist.Just dont use too much paste,if anyof that gunk gets down on cpu board or horror cpu socket n pins youll have a v tricky cleaning job.
    My cooler didnt need lapping,some such as the thermalright apparently do,but its very hard to get a true "flat if not using a lathe.
    Even then I suppose the ultimate "lap" of both hs and cpu back should mean you dont need any paste at all!,but it doesnt leave much room for error.
    Tightening is similar to a car wheel.
    Diagonal pattern usually in the 1-3-4-2 sequence (numbering the nuts 1-4 in a clockwise direction from top left.
    You may have to check the torque on the bolts after a month or so,(expansion+cooling + paste bedding in).
    cleaning..you can buy surgical wipes in drugstores:the little pads they use to clean the skin prior to an injection.
    The have a 15% water content but it evaporates rapidly.
    Another alternative is methanol,that purple stuff they use for outdoor stoves.
    Its like 98% pure alcohol with 2% wood alchol to make it poisonous (no cheap moonshine for you!)
    Last edited by kick; 05-17-2009 at 07:00 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Quote Originally Posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
    You forget that the heatspreader itself could be uneven. I lapped my CPU, i know what i'm talking about.

In addition, don't see the line method working simply because you'll have too much paste on two sides and too little on the other two. Yes the cooler will spread it if you put enough, but that would mean it'll drip outside on two sides.
    If your IHS was concave or convex (more likely concave), then even a blob in the middle would cause there to be different thicknesses of thermal paste at different points. In fact, if there weren't different thicknesses of paste, you'd be in trouble. Thermal paste fills in gaps between the IHS and HSF.

With a concave IHS you would have more paste filling the concave part, regardless of what application method you use. If you didn't then HSF contact would be even poorer. The problem lies in the fact that metal is a better conductor of heat than thermal paste, so a flat IHS and less paste is better than the paste filling in huge craters.

The line method works perfectly well. It's a thin line in the centre of the IHS, its direction depends on the orientation of the cores. If you mean the method won't get thermal paste completely over the IHS, then thats because it doesn't have to. Coverage of 70-80% of the surface is all that's necessary as the vast majority of heat is concentrated directly above the cores.

If you apply paste properly, even with the blob method, there would be no paste in the corners of the IHS. if there were you probably applied too much.

I myself have lapped several CPU's, and one heatsink (Scythe Mine). I re-finished my X2-3800 with 1000 and 1600 grit on friday to re-do the mirror finish before I eBay it.

If the OP is concerned that his IHS isn't flat, he can check it with a razor blade. Place the blade from corner to corner, sharp edge touching the CPU and look carefully. If there is a gap in the middle between blade and CPU, youre IHS is concave. If the blade rocks from side to side it is convex.

A better example picture of thermal paste application is below. Please note I chose this picture because of its quality. If I were applying the paste I'd use 2/3 the ammount, ie a slightly thinner line. I would have also used a line direction apropriate to my CPU (Dual or Quad) and removed the dust before I started.

I find that the purest isopropyl alcohol is best for cleaning old gunk off. 97% or better if possible. Ask at your local chemists, but be prepared to be asked some questions. Only ask for a small ammount and explain why. Maybe bring the paste along with you as a visual aid. I'm sure the first time I asked they thought I was a drugs user, or wanted to drink the stuff.
    Last edited by Psycho101; 05-17-2009 at 09:45 PM.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Thread Information