Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EX58 - UD5 XP fails with Raid 0

Default EX58 - UD5 XP fails with Raid 0

Hi,

I think this has been discussed before but i can't find enough information to solve it. I am unable to setup XP when i have my 4 sata drives in a raid 0 setup, it just blue screens.

I have been through the sets in the manual
    Sata drives in the blue ports
    Bios set to raid
    Raid set up via ctrl-i
    floppy created and used
    It just fails after the driver is found and the install gets to setting up windows

System:
    EX58 - Ud5
    i7 2.66
    3x 1G DDR3
    Pwr 750 W
    Nvida fx3700

Note xp works fine if i put the drives in the yellow gsata ports but i can't raid the four then only 2 and 2

Thanks it is driving me a little mad

Karlos

Default Re: EX58 - UD5 XP fails with Raid 0

You can only RAID the same color ports. And onboard RAID was never meant to be taken seriously - with 4 drives in RAID 0 i would look for a PCI-E x1 RAID card. By your configuration i'm guessing this is a graphics workstation not a gaming machine - it's not worth risking all that data on a flaky little piece of silicon inside your chipset.
    Pro hardware technician for PC, Laptop and Sound equipment.

I have had a similar problem installing XP on a RAID volume using an OEM SP3 disk- F6 and load the Intel drivers from the floppy, enter setup and then BSOD. After reattempting the installation a half dozen times and becoming very frustrated, I tried a Retail SP1 disk just for grins. To my surprise, XP installed without problems.

My best guess is the OEM disk had a driver on it that was conflicting with the Intel drivers.
    QX9650 batch L739A761/ GA-EP45-UD3P/ Kingston KHX9200 4x1G

Well thanks guys.

I used an older xp sp2 disc, i am assuming no driver conflict like gampamu suggested. And well would you believe it, bang it on and we are away.

So thanks again and Th3_uN1Qu3 thank you for your suggestion i will check that out.

Happy mornings and less madness here

Karlos

So it's working with the SP2 disc eh? That's good. I never bothered to upgrade my XP computer to SP3, and that SP2 install has been going for three years, still booting in 20 seconds after a lot of hardware changes.

Please do check hardware RAID cards, although they are pricey, if you had $750 to spend on a Quadro card then one of those is definitely worth $300. I'm looking to get one myself, but i'll also need a second HDD and the video card upgrade must come first.
    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 05-17-2009 at 05:03 PM.
    Pro hardware technician for PC, Laptop and Sound equipment.

Thread Information