Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EX58-UD3R not displaying full memory

Default EX58-UD3R not displaying full memory

Hey all,

I have 3x 1gb Corsairs ddr3 installed but my cpu only detects 2gb of physical memory installed. Below is my cpu info listed generated from System Information.

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
    System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model EX58-UD3R
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, 2793 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F1, 10/12/2008
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 866 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 4.23 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 2.79 GB
    Page File Space 2.29 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Any help? Thing is in its 2 months use, it displays 3GB correctly everytime but after a recent OS re-install, it's always at 2GB RAM. Only rarely did it display as 3GB, like after a re-boot or a memory diagnostic re-boot but these were random and not repeatable.
    Last edited by ZuluTribe; 05-17-2009 at 08:57 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EX58-UD3R not displaying full memory

Do you see N/A on any of the memory channels in the MIT Section of the BIOS?

Can you please update your BIOS to the latest version F1 is very old and for sure should not be used as it could cause many issues or incompatibilities, here is a guide on doing so >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Here is your Boards BIOS page, latest is F5 >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EX58-UD3R (rev. 1.0)

And can you also post for us your ram's model # or a link to it, thanks

If you are seeing N/A before and or after your BIOS flash for the above mentioned settings then you may need to remove your CPU and be SURE you do not have any bent pins in the CPU Socket as this has been known to cause incorrect memory amounts to be present. Other times it is just incorrect settings in the BIOS such as voltages, timings, ect.

I've updated my BIOS a few days back based on the helpful link you provided (thanks a lot!) and here is the updated System Info:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
    System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model EX58-UD3R
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, 2793 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F6, 11/5/2009
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 1.14 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 4.23 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 2.97 GB
    Page File Space 2.29 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

So now my cpu detects 3GB of RAM is installed, which is good, but only 2GB of total physical memory?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Do you see N/A on any of the memory channels in the MIT Section of the BIOS?
    I've checked and Channels A, B and C have no N/A entry.

And can you also post for us your ram's model # or a link to it, thanks
    Corsairs 3 x 1gb PC3-10666 9-9-9-24 TR3X3G1333C9

Other times it is just incorrect settings in the BIOS such as voltages, timings, ect.
    So where and how do I change these settings if it is indeed due to wrong settings? My cpu is still detecting 3gb ram installed but only 2gb of physical memory. Sticks are running in triple channel.

I stumbled upon this thread from Google and saw it has a pretty recent posting date. Anyways...

I have the same motherboard, GA-EX58-UD3R. 6GB (2x3) DDR 3 1066 RAM*, i7 920, Vista Home Premium x64.

I basically have the same issue as Zulu.

My BIOS reports 6GB in installed memory, but only says I have 1.90GB of physical memory.

Task manger reports 1.90GB as well, but system info and CPU-Z show 6GB.

Running MemTest, it tests only 1.90GB of my memory.

No POST error indication.

I flashed my BIOS from stock to the current version of software and it did not fix the issue. Completely cleared the CMOS, still to no avail.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6089/specy.jpg

Any help?
    Last edited by smash; 06-21-2009 at 04:29 PM.

I guess I did have some bent socket pins, who would have thunk. Getting it fixed.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Glad to see you found the cause, I have seen this caused many times by bent pins or incorrect settings. Sorry to see you had some bent pins!

@ ZuluTribe

Did you ever get this fixed? If not let me know, and give me your settings you are using and I will see if I see anything out of the ordinary

This is almost always due to bent pins or wrong ram slot placements.
    Ci7 2600K @4.6Ghz/8Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600/Asus Sabertooth P67/EVGA GTX 580/Patriot Torqx 128/1 Tb WD Black
    Ci7 920/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/HIS Radeon HD 5870/750Gb Seagate ES.2, 2Tb WD Green
    And several other rigs...

Hey all

I managed to get it "fixed" somehow. System Info and task manager is showing 3GB of RAM so it's all fine and well now.

I say "fixed" because what happened was a complete fluke. All I did was update the BIOS as per instructions on this forum and I had a look at the memory sticks. There were no bent or damaged pins. So I thought maybe changing their order could do it? Doesn't make sense since the memory sticks were already in their correct slots and the sticks are identical. And what do you know? It worked lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluTribe View Post
    Hey all

I managed to get it "fixed" somehow. System Info and task manager is showing 3GB of RAM so it's all fine and well now.

I say "fixed" because what happened was a complete fluke. All I did was update the BIOS as per instructions on this forum and I had a look at the memory sticks. There were no bent or damaged pins. So I thought maybe changing their order could do it? Doesn't make sense since the memory sticks were already in their correct slots and the sticks are identical. And what do you know? It worked lol.
    There's only ONE possible explanation then. You needed to reseat your ram. There is no other explanation, you didn't seat it right before.
    Ci7 2600K @4.6Ghz/8Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600/Asus Sabertooth P67/EVGA GTX 580/Patriot Torqx 128/1 Tb WD Black
    Ci7 920/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/HIS Radeon HD 5870/750Gb Seagate ES.2, 2Tb WD Green
    And several other rigs...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information