Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45T-UD3P Continually Crashing - Help Please!

MDDI is offline Junior Member

Default Re: GA-EP45T-UD3P Continually Crashing - Help Please!

Mick, Comers,
    I just wanted to get this out to all that read this POST.
    I'm not pushing a particular brand of RAM. I'm just answering your request for help.
    Mushkin is working for me! That's all, before someone takes offense.
    There are many brands of RAM, some good and some not so, it's all a matter of personal preference. Some are available in some areas, some are not.
    I am not affiliated with nor do I work for Mushkin. I have purchased most major brands of RAM and had success. My X48T board ran the best with the Mushkin DIMM's. I now have them on my EP45T board running just as well.
    It's a free society and we can all buy what we wish. Mick, you said you never heard of Mushkin (pronounced moosh-kin). Here is some links to Mushkin's history. In fact, it appears they may have been one of the pioneers the RAM "heat spreader".

Mushkin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mushkin XP3-16000 Ascent 2GB DDR3 Memory Kit Introduction :: TweakTown
    Last edited by MDDI; 06-21-2009 at 12:49 AM.

No need to apologise for recommending a particular brand. You like them, you've confirmed they work on the EP45T series too, which is very useful.

Unfortunately, although there is a standard for DDR3, it's all down to subtle differences in RAm IC's, the PCB's they're atatched to and the Mobo's BIOS implementation. If all three of those factors don't play nicely with one another, then problems will arise. All manufacturers have modules that are fine in one manufacturers board, but could refuse to work in another manufacturers board, or even in another model from the same manufacturer.

They are a good brand, however they didn't pioneer the heatspreader. The Wiki entry refers to their 2005 design, which is the same as they use today. The spreaders are slotted along the whole length of the RAM, and it's that which produces greater surface area. Heatspreaders were around a long time before that.

Different recommended voltages come into play because the 1.5V DDR3 JEDEC standard DDR-1333 IC's may be used in DDR-1600 modules, and overvolted to produce the higher frequency. This has also been comon practice with DDR2, eg some micron based DDR-667 (1.8V) is more than capable of performing at DDR-1200 with 2.3-2.4V.

It's always been the same with RAM, and I have a feeling it always will. You only have a 90% chance your modules will be compatible.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Psycho,
    Thanks for your input and support. I don't venture here much, only when I have to get answers for a new Gigabyte product.
    Amazing how much better the support and solutions to problems come from the end users and not the source. I don't care if it's brand A, B, or C motherboard company, I can't remember when I have received a direct solution for a direct question from any of them, never!
    Have you noticed that the RAM manufactures are following the same customer support pattern as the MB manufacturers? The better support comes from the brand specific forums, especially the ones where the brand specific company has employees that use the product and moderate on the forum.
    A year ago I bought a X48T-DQ6, my first Gigabyte (after years of brand X). I was having monumentous BOOT issues. I tried several different RAM solutions. I even bought a single 1.5v DIMM just so I could BOOT, enter setup, make RAM changes to install my preffered RAM.
    A moderator here, whom I'm sure you know, who has taken a few weeks off from the forum, suggested I try Mushkin. He had also given the same advise to others on the forum.
    The Mushkin worked for me, but our friend was taking some heat for recommending a specific brand. That's why I added the CMA statement. I do not want to claim one brand is better than another.
    I noticed on your RIG specs that your replacing another BFG PSU. I have a HX620 that has been perfect for two years. Funny, that company seems to support their PSU line better than thier RAM (I did not say that). If you change, from my expierence, you will not be unhappy.

Indeed. I was lucky that I bought my BFG supply from an excellent UK based e-tailer. They've been nothing but helpfull. My second PSU had the same fault, so they're picking it up by courrier, and refunding me cost price plus postage, which is more than great as it means the other items I bought with it will be postage free.

I'm not sure how it is in other countries, but here in the UK, The Sale of Goods Act offers buyer protection to some extent. If you ask the retailer if a certain mobo plus RAM they stock is compatible and they state "yes", then if it's not, it's deemed "Not fit for purpose", and is much easier to get sorted out. That plus the fact that as it's the same retailer, there aren't two opposing forces, one blaming RAM and the other blaming the mobo.

I've had a couple of posative experiences with Corsair and RAM. My first set of PC-4000 DDR500 RAM wouldn't run at the stated speed at 3-3-3-8, so they swapped it right away. Second set was a gem! I also once got two different revisions of the same product (PC-3200 value RAM), one of which worked and another which refused. Even though I bought them as singles, they swapped one, so that I had identical sticks. Everyone has different experiences though I guess. I bet there are loads of people with BFG ES-800's that are perfect, etc.

I'm going for a Corsair PSU now for sure. As soon as Corsair stop diverting HX750/HX850 stock to the US, I'll grab one of those. They're like rocking horse sh1t here atm.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Psycho, enjoying the chat;
    Not trying to get off topic, I would like Mick & Comers to follow this before it gets too long.
    I wish we had a law here in the US such as the Sale of Goods Act. We have consumer protection groups, but unfortunately, both sides are protected. I'm sure you watch the news, the politics in the US are so diverse that neither side can make a decision "who gets off the bus to piss first".
    I agree, most RAM companies still provide pretty good RMA service. I was reffering mostly as to getting answers to direct questions. Many of the RAM companies have taken the same online ask/reply approach as the MB companies. It wasn't long ago you could get someone on the phone.
    My case, concerning MB companies. I stated that my EP45T was running all the same Manual RAM settings as my X48T.
    Not to confuse the issue, that's not totally correct. My X48T board would run CMD 1T. It had two settings, 1T or 2T.
    The EP45T has four CMD settings, 0-3, 0 being auto. It does not matter what CMD setting I select, CPUZ shows CMD 2T regardless of the setting. I have left it at 0 (auto) for the time being.
    I sent a support ticket to Gigabyte (not expecting much) explaining just that, thinking something may be hinkey in the F7 BIOS, and they may want to know. Gigabyte's reply was "are you having a problem"?
    I know there is some translation lost between English/Chinese, I call it Chinglish, but I thought my request was pretty clear. Now, if I said my board does not work, they would have gladly sent me a RMA.
    That's my point! We are not getting solutions to specific problems, we get replacements. The solutions are found at the forums like this one where we share our first hand experiences.
    I'm not that concerned with the CMD settig issue, my board is stable. I turn it on, it works without fail and I turn it off. It's a comfort to know that is what it will do, no surprises.
    I will wait for our friend to return to the forum. I know he is doing some TE/PE stuff for Gigabyte. He probably knows a channel to send my observation through to get an answer/fix.
    Last edited by MDDI; 06-21-2009 at 04:29 AM.

On the subject of 1T, 2T or 3T command rate, I was under the impression it was a limitation of all current Intel based boards. I too get 2T regardless of what I specify. Going back to AMD overclocking, it made a big difference if you could get 1T stable, nowadays with Core 2 I don't think there's any gain.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Current, since when? I'm not sure.
    My X48T board would run the same RAM at 1T with the same settings as the EP45T does.
    Your right, I probably don't see the nano second performance difference between 1T & 2T. Just wondering why I can only adjust 2T with the EP45T board and I know the RAM is capable/stable at 1T.
    Is it limitation of the P45 - ICH10R chipset? Or is it a board limitation/error?

I *think* it's a P45 limitation, but I'm not 100% sure. It could well be a BIOS issue preventing 1T from being selected though. If Lsdmeasap were here he'd know. I miss his input!
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Hi guys,
    I already had prolonged conversation with lsdmeasap about my board/ram problem and at the end he suggested to buy another brand of ddr3. I did so and for almost a month everything looked ok. Couple days ago got a freeze then followed by another in 30 min - same pattern! I can only conclude that there is a board/bios issue with my EP45T-UD3P rev1.0. Lucky for me I have two extra boards (GA-X48T-DQ6 and Asus P6T-DeluxeV2) to play with but they both never caused freeze or crash with both KVR1333D3N9 or KHX13000AD3LLK2. I made identical installations of WinXP Pro on both and all the components used are the same ones used in EP45T build. Also never overclocked either.

The most important thing here is both ddr3 with EP45T always pass memtest and prime95 blend for as long as 12 hours. These freezes I experience always happen while encoding or transcoding large media files but never with the other boards. I would have said my EP45T-UD3P is rock solid if I didn't make these encodes.
    As you can see it took me a month to verify that my second ram KHX is a no-go.
    Before I go for Mushkin I'd rather make sure that video encodes with CCE and ProCoder
    and transcodes with DVDShrink and Nero Recode have been done by someone.
    MDDI, Did you try some of these programs using Mushkin?
    GA-X48T-DQ6 [rev: 1.3], Bios F6e (replacement of GA-EP45T-UD3P [rev: 1.0])
    Q9550 (E0), Zalman CNPS9500 Cooler
    2x2GB Kingston HyperX [KHX13000D3LLK2/2G] 1.7V DDR3-1333 @7-7-7-20
    Gainward Bliss 8800GT, 2x1TB HDD Samsung SATA-2, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850W PSU

Comers,
    I have Clone DVD2. I have not used it since I put this system together. I will try to copy some DVD's today and let you know.
    Meanwhile, have you checked Event Viewer/System for logged errors?
    In Control Panel, what are your Power Option settings? Try "Always On", "Never" Turn Off Hard Disks, "Never" System Standby.
    Did you install the Gigabyte DES software? I had stability issues with DES on my X48T board and uninstalled it. I have not installed it on my EP45T board.
    The video encoding software is Windows Signed?
    Last edited by MDDI; 06-21-2009 at 10:25 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information