Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EX58 Boards, Overclocking, and S3 Sleep Issues

Default EX58 Boards, Overclocking, and S3 Sleep Issues

So scanning around other forums (i.e.EVGA), it seems X58 chips, overclocking, and S3 sleep don't seem to play nice, and its not limited to Gigabyte boards.

I have a EX58-UD4P and so far I have MOSTLY everything working fine with my 183BCLK @ stock voltage overclock with S3 sleep with both F8a and F9a BIOSes.

A couple of issues I am having still:

(1) Wake-on-LAN is not working at all: refuses to wake up from sleep if the option is enabled - noticed exact same problem on EVGA forum too

(2) My ram is set to 7-7-7-21-1, but whenever I resume from sleep, it gets set to 4-7-7-21-1. I set everything to "AUTO" for my RAM timings, which ended up giving me 10-9-9-22-1, but after resuming from sleep it again changed it to 4-9-9-22-1! Why is my CAS # changing to 4 after resuming from sleep?!?!
    i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
    24/7 OC: 21x183Mhz = 3.84Ghz @ stock Vcore/QPI voltages
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366
    3x2GB OCZ DDR1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
    EX58-UD4P BIOS F11
    EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC 55nm 896-P3-1257-AR
    Antec NEO HE 550 Power Supply

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EX58 Boards, Overclocking, and S3 Sleep Issues

Wake on Lan, you do mean PME Event wake right? Just checking, I will do some tests here this week. How exactly are you trying to use this, I mean with a PCI Card, or ethernet? I need to know which you would like me to test, as I can do both and I have the same board

What are you looking at your CAS timing with after a resume? I do not notice this myself, but then again I may have overlooked it. I do know Turbo is disabled after a resume though, sorry to inform you... Guess you had not noticed that yet? Anyway, on that I have sent in a report about it so I am sure they are looking into it

Let me know what you are checking CAS with and I will see if I find the same true on my end

*EDIT*

You are correct, sorry to have questioned you but I just wanted to be sure it was not some off the wall app you had been using giving you a false value. I see 477-20 after a resume on my end as well. In several programs. Now we all know this is not possible so it has to be a glitch in a report from the IMC or NB and not really set to CAS 4. I have sent in a report about this just now.

Thanks for the heads up, I will let you know if I hear anything back about it before the next Beta rolls out
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 05-20-2009 at 11:01 PM.

Yeah the PME event is the BIOS setting. Enable that in the BIOS, then in Windows, under the built-in Realtek ethernet settings in the Device Manager if you enable "Allow this device to wake the computer", S3 sleep stops working entirely. The computer simply shuts off and Windows says it recovered from an improper shutdown.

I am checking my CAS timing with CPU-Z and MemSet - good this problem is not just me :)

My Turbo actually works fine after an S3 sleep/resume because I am running all power saving features with default CPU multiplier and default CPU voltage (CPU voltage set to NORMAL). Only my BCLK is changed to 183Mhz. When I am idle my CPU multiplier goes down to 12x and then up to 21x at load.

However if I lock the CPU multiplier to 21x at boot (which I think happens if you manually set the voltage on the CPU with turbo enabled), then I do experience the step down to 20x after a resume...
    i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
    EX58-UD4P BIOS F11

Quote Originally Posted by demonsavatar View Post
    So scanning around other forums (i.e.EVGA), it seems X58 chips, overclocking, and S3 sleep don't seem to play nice, and its not limited to Gigabyte boards.

I have a EX58-UD4P and so far I have MOSTLY everything working fine with my 183BCLK @ stock voltage overclock with S3 sleep with both F8a and F9a BIOSes.

A couple of issues I am having still:

(1) Wake-on-LAN is not working at all: refuses to wake up from sleep if the option is enabled - noticed exact same problem on EVGA forum too

(2) My ram is set to 7-7-7-21-1, but whenever I resume from sleep, it gets set to 4-7-7-21-1. I set everything to "AUTO" for my RAM timings, which ended up giving me 10-9-9-22-1, but after resuming from sleep it again changed it to 4-9-9-22-1! Why is my CAS # changing to 4 after resuming from sleep?!?!

This may be addressed in the Intel errata for the I7 and x58

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/320839.pdf

http://download.intel.com/design/pro...pdt/320836.pdf

The D0 stepping and the B3 stepping of the X58 may help.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Spylake, thanks for posting that. Sadly I have read it before and just now again and nothing is mentioned as far as the S3 issues at hand here, these will need to be corrected within the BIOS itself

Hey guys!

Im probably committing a crime here, logging my bloodrage issue in a gigabyte section but you guys may have helped me towards a better nights sleep! I have been tearing my hair out for ages since building my system, with a s3 sleep issue. When I set mem freq. to 1600 I noticed that my computer failed to wake out of S3 mode on a second attempt. This stumped me for ages, until I noticed that if I awakened the computer the first time, the system became quickly unstable and I noticed as you all have that my CAS had changed to 4 too! I assume its this change thats causing the second s3 wake and the unstable system. Oddly I notice that if I set mem freq. less than 1600 I dont have the s3 issue BUT I do use the auto settings for freq. less than 1600. So my question is this, I have come in at the back end of this discussion it seems, have we got to the bottom of why the CAS change and do you think my second S3 wake is due to this whole CAS change thing, or is the CAS thing a symptom rather than the cause? Hope you can help, I have been from forum to forum all over the web with this issue and no luck, please please respond and put me out of my misery lol

My system quickly is:
    Bloodrage mobo (boo, hiss)
    I7 920 oc to 3.4ghz on air
    6gb Mushkin Red Line RAM
    geforce 295GTX

As a thought, I wonder if the CAS issue occurs at lower frequencys than 1600, if not, perhaps that explains why S3 works fine. I must experiement!

Just tested it and the second S3 failure only happens at 1600mhz, doesnt mind the CAS change below that speed for me???

Quote Originally Posted by frozenreads View Post
    Just tested it and the second S3 failure only happens at 1600mhz, doesnt mind the CAS change below that speed for me???
    I don't notice any instability after an S3 resume, so I think your problem is a bit different. Before the F8 BIOS for the EX58-UD4P, S3 wouldn't work at all, so hopefully a BIOS update for your board will help.
    Last edited by demonsavatar; 06-08-2009 at 09:23 AM.
    i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
    EX58-UD4P BIOS F11

I have the same issue. Using WOL I can wake the computer from a soft off state, but not from any type / combination of sleep / hibernation state.

All the proper settings relating to WOL are set in both the BIOS and OS (Vista Ultimate). The board is a GA-EX58-UD5, and I have nothing overclocked (nothing timing-wise has even been changed from default).

-Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by ifermon View Post
    I have the same issue. Using WOL I can wake the computer from a soft off state, but not from any type / combination of sleep / hibernation state.

All the proper settings relating to WOL are set in both the BIOS and OS (Vista Ultimate). The board is a GA-EX58-UD5, and I have nothing overclocked (nothing timing-wise has even been changed from default).

-Ivan
    Yeah the WOL seems to be broke :(
    i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
    EX58-UD4P BIOS F11

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information