Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Weird problem with GA-K8NF-9 network port

Default Weird problem with GA-K8NF-9 network port

Hi all,

(Sorry about the long post, may want to skip some of the history :P)

Recently been messing around a lot with a fairly old build with the above mobo. I've been trying to to overclock a little more recently to squeeze a bit more power out of my Atholn 3500+. After a while I realised I had revision 1 of the bios!

To cut a long story short, QFlash said I needed a floppy to use it, and since I couldn't work out how to get into dos on this build (it's all NTSF), I tried using @Bios (yeah, yeah, I know, would have been better to ask a sheep to update it for me ), and it failed. I ended up having to use a random utility bootdisk I found with NTSF 4 Dos on which allowed me to boot into dos and install the latest bios, F11K.

I then booted up and started carrying on as normal until my recent windows install decided to get REALLY weird on me (including the network port not working), so I decided to format it and it would only take me a little while.

Now I've reformatted again and the network port STILL does not work.

I ended up using a USB stick to revert back to the V10 bios, hoping that it was just the recent bios that was giving me problems, and have had no luck. I'm now also stuck with this bios as this one does not seem to support loading another bios from anything but floppy, and the boot disk with NTSF 4 Dos is giving me error messages now.

I've tried NVidia's latest drivers to try and get the network port working, and I've tried several from Gigabyte's drivers page for this mobo, and none seem to make it work!
    The network port claims to be connected and it gives me an IP Address, but the internet just doesn't work for some reason. Nobody else in my house is having problems (I'm sitting here browsing from exactly the same connection and I know it's not the cable)

So does anyone have ANY idea why my internet isn't working??

Many thanks!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Weird problem with GA-K8NF-9 network port

You can flash your BIOS from Qflash with a BIOS file on a floppy disk, USB, or from a FAT16/32 partition, just so you know. All you do is put the BIOS file (The .F10 file for example) on a floppy and then enter Qflash and find the file.

I do not have much AMD knowledge, but I do know since you reformatted you would need to again install your chipset drivers. Did you do that?

Can you go in your BIOS and on the main page press F9 and see if it shows you a MAC Address for your LAN? It may not as that is an older board, but I would check that first

Aside from that, what is showing you as connected? What do you see in that connections properties?

Hiya. Thanks for the reply, Lsdmeasap :)

The R11 bios I have loaded only seems to support floppy from within QFlash. The only option is is "load from floppy", and it just pauses for a few seconds whenever I press enter :/
    (but I'm pretty sure this bios is fine anyway, so meh)

Unless there's some chipset drivers I'm missing, I've installed them. I've installed the NForce drivers from NVidia's website... These are the chipset drivers, right? I'll double check this in a while, but I thought I'd check with you :O

There doesn't seem to be anything in the bios referencing the network (mac address, etc). Too old maybe, yeah... :(

And the connection properties shows that it's connected to the router (eg, connected to 192.168.1.1, etc) and it's been given its own IP (192.168.1.10, etc). From what I know about networking, I don't see anything in connection properties which is wrong. The device appears in device manager fine too, with no errors.

I'm gonna try and have another brainstorm tomorrow when I have some time/energy, but does anyone else have any more ideas? Not having internet on my desktop sucks... :(

Many thanks, all! :D

Hi SirCanealot,

do You find the solution to Your problem? I have the similar one from two days.

BTW. Wen You press CTRL+F1 on the Main Bios page You enable the 'Advanced settings'.

Hey,

I didn't end up solving this problem, no... I ended up spending like 5-10 on a cheap PCI network card and solved the problem that way. I couldn't figure it out, so it beat messing around more. Pretty old board now, so I assumed it was dead :)

I'm on the latest revision of the bios, so no need for me to hit crtl+f1...

Quote Originally Posted by SirCanealot View Post
    Hey,

I didn't end up solving this problem, no... I ended up spending like 5-10 on a cheap PCI network card and solved the problem that way. I couldn't figure it out, so it beat messing around more. Pretty old board now, so I assumed it was dead :)

I'm on the latest revision of the bios, so no need for me to hit crtl+f1...
    Thank You for Your reply.
    I fix my MB in the same way, unfortunatelly after lost many hours checking diffrent driver version and, even, reinstalling Windows. My integrated network card stop working after uninstall Nvidia Network Access Manager. I think, early version of this MB have strange problem someware between Bios, network driver and NVidia firewall. Works only same combinations.

Regards

Thread Information