Quote Originally Posted by dzignr_tastz View Post
And... up and running!!

I downloaded the latest BIOS for my particular board (F4) to my laptop, uncompressed it to my USB flash drive, plugged it into the new system, entered Q-Flash in the BIOS, and updated away. I then chose Load Optimized Defaults in the BIOS (which I noticed backed the DDR2 down to 800, so it could have very well just been a memory voltage problem in the first place) and XP installed without a glitch.

Anyway - let me know if you need any other info... or simply if it works for you.
I am sorry for my late update!

Yeah, it works after I QFlash bios to F7 and set "SATA RAID/AHCI Mode" to Disabled (and I also turned the "HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability" in the "Advanced BIOS Features" to Enabled, not sure if this also helped to solve the problem). It works now for both WinXP 32 bit and Win7 RC 64 bit. I repeated a couple times, the installation of both OS are smooth.

I am also building a AMD system with GA-MA78GM-US2H and Kuma 7750. This AMD system has no such problem at all, with the exact same Seagate 250G sata2 hard drive. I also tried another 160G sata2 hard drive on the UD5 + i7 920 system, and then moved the drive to the AMD system, same result. So it's the BIOS/board, not hard drive problem.

But things are still not perfect, especially in XP 32 bit . I experienced a few unexpected reboots. First time is during installing the SP3, it reboots before the installation finishes, then I install SP3 from start again and it finishes OK. 2nd time is right after I install IE7, it also self reboots once and then works OK. 3rd time is during the Windows updates, the os automatically downloads ~34 updates and installs them all, I am not sure during which update, it reboots. But after rebooting it seems not stable any more, it reboots for no reason when I read some webpage .... Any hint ? is this still the hard drive problem ?
So far no problem for Win7.