Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P Overclocking Help (Not a Repeat)

Default Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P Overclocking Help (Not a Repeat)

Got something for someone if you got time..

I am a Professional PC Technician -- and I'm just delving into overclocking now. I'm having a bit of difficulty doing so.

First, here are the specs:
    Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P Intel LGA 1366
    CPU - Intel Core i7 Nehalem 2.66 GHz LGA 1366 Quad Core
    Heatsink / Fan - Vigor Monsoon III LT Dual 120mm Fan Socket 1366
    RAM - 12 GB G.Skill DDR3 - TRI-SLI x2
    HD - 2 Western Digital 500 GB BLACK Edition Hard Drives - RAID 0 (Stripe)
    GFX Card - HIS ATI Radeon HD 4870 1 GB DDR5 256-bit (Crossfire Supported)
    Power Supply - Apevia Iceberg ATX 680W with Triple Color LED lights

Okay... Now, I've referred to the two posts - The one with settings to overclock to 3.6 and the other post that overclocks to 3.5 with Turbo Boost on. Neither of these settings work. In any case, I really didn't want to go that high, to be honest.

I would like to do a slight OC to about 3.2-3.4 GHz. Nothing amazing. I currently set up my system to BIOS defaults and was wondering if someone could tell me what I need to change in the BIOS to reach my goal of 3.2 - 3.4.

If you could also explain which numbers to change to play around with lower settings or higher settings, that would be appreciated too. I am trying to grasp the idea of overclocking with these new CPUs, but I haven't really found the right guide to really explain things in a way I will understand.

I'm really trying though.

Thank you in advance. I'm hoping to hear from someone soon.

Chris

Default Re: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P Overclocking Help (Not a Repeat)

Hey

It is very easy to overclock with your motherboard, mine which is the same can do 4.2 Ghz with turbo enabled and everything set on auto. This if of course if you have very good cooling in your PC case and on the processor.

What you need to do is enable BCLK and set it to 160-170 (3.2-3.4 Ghz) and then set the Uncore frequenzy to the double of your memory and then some. If your RAM are running 1600 memory frequenzy, Uncore frequenzy needs to be set to x21 which is 3400. Then change the QPI link speed to x36.

If you have not all ready changed your RAM in BIOS, it is not surden that it is running with its default settings. My RAM when I opened BIOS was auto set to run 1066 with 8-8-8-20 timings, but their are supposed to run at 1333 with 9-9-9-24 timings. You need to check that first before anything. To change the speed of your RAM enable the system memory multiplier and change the memory frequenzy to x8 or x10 depending on what you changed the BClk to and what your default RAM speed is of course. Your RAM speed is effected when you change the Bclk and you always want the Uncore frequenzy to be at least twice your RAM speed and then some.

You may not have to change any voltage settings. I do not need to do that, but like I said not all boards are the same and it also depends on your memory. You could try to leave everything on auto and try to boot and then see what happens. If you are not able to do so it is most likely because your RAM needs a notch on the voltage. Try setting is to 1.60 -1.64 - but never higher than 1.65 which is the limit these new types of RAM can take. If that did not help then you might need to change the QPI/Vtt voltage to like 1.3 or a little higher. Are you still not booting you can change the CPU Vcore to 1.41 - 1.43 but this is most likely not the reason with such a mild overclock, it is most likely your memory and the QPI/Vtt that is the problem.

Now I would very much suggest you read the link down on bottom about overclocking the X-58-UD4P, and on page 2 you will read what some have experienced with needed voltage on memory. Now remember that a nice red warning box pops up to highlight potentially damaging voltage changes, just do not get that on your screen until you get to know your motherboard.

I am surden that people reading your request for help will answer and sorry for my english which is not my own language.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...locking-31636/

Poul

Hey,
    Thank you for your help -- and don't worry about your English, it's fine. In fact, I thought you were an English speaking person until you mentioned it in the last sentence -- so you write very well. :)

I realized that I wasn't specific about my RAM -- I bought this:

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8TU-6GBPI - Retail

I will try some things now and let you know how it goes in a few.

Chris

By the way, the board is reading the memory frequency as being at 1066 in default settings -- I need to set this to 1600?

Hey

Yes - change that to 1600 and the timings to their default. But remember the speed gets changed again when you overclock, and you will have to set the memory multiplier so that you do not get too much of an overclock. The memory can be overclocked of course but not by much. My 1333 memory overclocks very well - they can do 1600 but yours might not overclock by that much.

Thanks

Poul

Also, another question -- are the blue lights on the motherboard supposed to help you in trying to set the overclock? I was able to reduce the blue lights to 2 out of 5 in the 3.2 setting -- but I want to know why there are 5 lights lit sometimes, then 4, then 3 as I was fiddling around

Hey again

Yes - the lighted LEDs are there to help you to see what level your overclock is - or to just look cool. But in fact I never look at them; I know what my overclcok is from the BIOS settings. I have 3 LEDs lighted at the moment with BCLK set to 170 - no big deal. You can read about the LEDs in your manual...

Edit: The lights indicate CPU loading - higher loading - more LEDs gets lighted.

Poul
    Last edited by Grnkjr0; 05-23-2009 at 12:21 AM.

GREAT!!! Thank you for all your help! I think this is sinking in! Because I was able to boot up in a couple of settings and it was fine.. I was just getting scared that I was over-volting everything and that's why the blue lights were coming on. Now I know they're just there to show the CPU Frequency -- So from here on in, it's gonna be all about making the CPU stable!

I will post my settings once I believe that I have a stable setting just so you can go over it and make sure I'm not doing anything stupid as far as voltages go.

I thank you again for your time and help! :)

I had a follow up question to this thread, i'm just a beginner and i'm overclocking for the first time. I've followed directions from this thread and another source and i've gotten my speed up to 3.5ghz but when my computer goes to sleep it fails to boot again.
    This thread has helped me identify some things that I needed to change however, I still don't know how to change my memory frequency. I have the same motherboard the GA-EX580-UD4P but i could use a little more detailed help. Great thread for beginners thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by jonmaxx View Post
    Got something for someone if you got time..
    I would like to do a slight OC to about 3.2-3.4 GHz. Nothing amazing. I currently set up my system to BIOS defaults and was wondering if someone could tell me what I need to change in the BIOS to reach my goal of 3.2 - 3.4.
    Hey Jonmaxx. As mentioned before, 3.2 - 3.4 should be no problem. If you are really aiming for such a modest increase, you should be able to use the "NORMAL" settings for most voltages except the QPI and DRAM which you want to run at 1600Mhz. Clearly this would be ideal to reduce the heat output of your CPU, and every i7 should handle 3.2-3.4Ghz on stock voltages.

The tricky part is making your DRAM run at 1600 with a stock QPI voltage while fiddling with your BLCK. In fact I cannot run my ram at 1600Mhz due to my BLCK and the available multipleirs.

My BLCK = 183Mhz so I currently have my 1600 spec ram running at 1464Mhz because the QPI multiplier forces it to run at either my BCLK x 8 = 183Mhz x 8 = 1464 or BCLK x 10 = 183 x 10 = 1830. Clearly 1830Mhz is pushing it for 1600Mhz spec ram so I am forced to run at the lower speed. I was continuing to try and improve my ram speed for a while but a recent Tom's Hardware article showed me that such a small change in my ram won't really help for the work I do on the computer, heres a link: Core i7 Memory Scaling: From DDR3-800 to DDR3-1600 : Which RAM Speed Is Best For Core i7? - Review Tom's Hardware

Assuming you want your 3.2-3.4Ghz OC still, a BLCK of 160Mhz with a DRAM multipler of 10 will run your ram at 1600Mhz, but the QPI voltage may need to be increased for your CPU to accept the higher ram frequency. Leaving everything on "auto" isn't recommended for the important voltages such as CPU VCore and QPI, because the board simply does a linear scaling with speed increase. Of course, auto works in many cases with modest increases in frequency, but it may often give more voltage than is necessary (it tries to keep it within safety restrictions but I have seen people say it took their CPU Vcore way too high though with larger overclocks).

As you an see from my specs (in my signature) I am running at 3.84Ghz with turbo enabled at all stock voltages for my 24/7 OC after some very thorough stability testing. If you want to play around a bit more to push it a bit higher, feel free to ask for setting information, many people on the board are willing to help out!

Also make sure your running BIOS version F8 at least from Gigabyte's website which fixes a number of overclocking issues. F9a (beta version) is also available from the sticky post in this forum. You should also be able to enable all C states, hyperthreading, and Turbo mode on your CPU if your not doing extreme overclocking.
    Last edited by demonsavatar; 06-11-2009 at 07:52 PM.
    i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
    24/7 OC: 21x183Mhz = 3.84Ghz @ stock Vcore/QPI voltages
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366
    3x2GB OCZ DDR1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
    EX58-UD4P BIOS F11
    EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC 55nm 896-P3-1257-AR
    Antec NEO HE 550 Power Supply

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information