Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: hey guys

Default hey guys

ok, so it was brought to my attention that i should probably post in here if i want to obtain information about overclocking and such... so, ill start off with my specs.

Gigabyte MA790XT-UD4P
    AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE
    2 x 2 (4 total) Gigs Corsair Dominator XMS3 DDR3 RAM
    ATI Radeon 4850 GPU
    550 Rosewill PSU

now, ive heard it said before that if you dont understand overclocking, you shouldnt be doing it... well, as much as i agree with that from the aspect of maintaining fully functional hardware, i have to admit that i know my computer can perform faster than it currently is. the graphics on some games are choppy and the responiveness is not what i would expect coming from AMD's Dragon platform. and i dont think one should have supreme knowledge of overclocking to want to enjoy their new rig to its fullest extent... afterall, everyone had to start from somewhere, right?

however, i understand overclocking the cpu, by that i mean the multiplier and such, but a couple things that i do not understand are the voltages, specifically RAM overclocking.

so, i guess what im asking is if anyone could post directions, a screenshot or whatever of (preferably) the BIOS setup for optimized overclocking configurations. if not the BIOS then maybe a screenie of AMD's OverDrive utility, or as a last resort, simple directions on what to set the voltages and multipliers to.

in conclusion, ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: hey guys

Not sure what your CPU is clocked to by default, but from my experience, a 4850 is held back by the CPU (at my 1680x1050 resolution) until I clock to 3.2GHz or over, by which point, more CPU speed makes little difference.

Bear in mind that although the 4850 is a powerful card, it isn't going to give huge frame rates at anything over 4x AA @ 16x10 in the most recent of games. A good example of this is far Cry 2. If I enable 4x AA with the rest of my settings on a mix of Medium, High and Very High, it kills frame rates. Also enabling High or above shadow quality has a huge impact.

The custom filter AA modes (edge detect) can also be a performance killer, as can using Adaptive AA on either the Multi-Sampling or the Super-Sampling modes.

To get a rough idea of how your card is performing, use 3Dmark Vantage. You should be getting between 6750 and 8000 3DMarks for the GPU on the "Performance" preset (not the main score, there's a GPU specific one further down) depending on the clock speeds you've set. To do a comparison with before and after overclocks, you'll need to either buy the program, or register for a trial with two different e-mail addresses. That way you get 2 keys, both good for 1 run each.

To sumerise, you will no doubt see a huge increase by over clocking to 3-3.2GHz, but as I don't have an AMD machine, I can't help there. Make sure you're not cranking all settings up to max, with 8xAA at 19x16, as the card will start to chug a bit.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Thread Information