Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-MA78GM-S2H weird HDMI problems and workarounds

Default GA-MA78GM-S2H weird HDMI problems and workarounds

So, this is my current HTPC/semi-gaming setup:

GA-MA78GM-S2H rev. 1.0 with latest BIOS
    AMD 5200+ with Scythe Mini Ninja
    4GB of Kingmax DDR2
    Gigabyte 9600GSO 512 passive
    2 S-ATA HDD, DVD-RW
    Antec Fusion V2 case with original 430W power supply by Seasonic, I think (with a bit of DIY to fit the graphic card, passive cooler is few mm too tall)
    Samsung 19" wide monitor

First I have to tell yout that my first intention was to have Hybrid Crossfire but that never worked, had a Sapphire HD3470 which was giving me VPU recoveries and drivers stopping responding and such... no matter how configured, HC or solo. My first ATi purchase failed miserably. So I returned it and had a PoV 9500GT for some time, with onboard VGA disabled in BIOS. Everything working just great until I bought a new Sony LCD 40V5500, and naturally wanted to use native HDMI out on the 9500GT.

Weirdest things are happening now. I get blinkings on my TV, while playing movies or just displaying desktop wallpaper, totally random and very annoying. Looks almost like backlight is failing or like some eco mode is active but isn't as all "smart", "eco" and other thingies are disabled. PS3 or DVD player on the same cable are not doing that, using any other cable, input or TV setting did not make any difference. Tried DVI-HDMI adapters to change places, and monitor on HDMI out is working ok but TV on DVI is still blinking. Enabling onboard VGA and plugging HDMI in - no blinking, works perfectly! So, must be graphic card issue, maybe it's broken.

Yesterday i got me a new Gigabyte 9600GSO with passive cooling, as it was relatively cheap, quiet and still able to play games far better than the old one, which wasn't meant to be played (yes, it's a pun) as I wasn't playing games untill recently . And guess what? It's still the same!!!

I can rule out TV or cable issues. Power is also not an issue (GSO has additional power connector, 9500GT doesn't), tried numerous drivers, Vista (with and without SP1) and Windows 7. Can the board be incompatible with nVidia cards?

Workaround? It seems that Windows 7 is quite comfortable running both VGA's, with only nVidia drivers installed and ATi provided by the OS. Now I have my monitor on nVidia and TV on onboard HD3200 and I even have a normal nVidia-style dualview managed by 7. But, obviously now I have my RAM and CPU utilised for something that is not needed (5,5 instead of 7,0 for RAM in Windows Experience), it uses more electricity, steamy northbridge is probably getting even hotter and I'm not quite sure how it will affect playing HD movies, mkv's and such.

I think the board is faulty. How to prove it, any advice? Thanx
    Last edited by DacHr; 05-27-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Default Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H weird HDMI problems and workarounds

Ok, I'm feeling totally stupid. Yesterday I borrowed a Sapphire HD4850 and it works completely ok, but makes unacceptable jet-engine noise.

Can a motherboard with ATi/AMD chipset be incompatible with nVidia graphics? It doesn't make sense, this things should be universal. And both motherboard and graphics card are from Gigabyte

Last edited by DacHr; 05-28-2009 at 02:21 PM.

It doesn't make sense but it seems to be true. Anyway, from this experience I'm convinced that this incompability is not a coincidence and that it is made to be like that: today I returned 9600GSO and got me a HD4670 which is working perfectly. Also, had to rework this crappy MiG-29 cooling. 32C idle, 54C on full load and not a wisper? Thanx to modest power consumption Zalman VF-700 is more than enough even on lower voltage, but has to be modded to fit.

Two brand new(-ish) nVidia's are having problems, but two ATI's are working without problems. Bad luck? Yeah, right. It has nothing whatsoever to do with ATI/AMD chipset on motherboard. So many hours lost... And to add an insult to my mental injury, this last card is also from Gigabyte.

Well I'm glad you at least returned that GTO. It's an utterly crap card IMO. They took a 9600GT, gave it more stream processors, but crippled the hell out of the RAM bus, and used GDDR2. Utter ****e... nasty pasty.

Having an ATI chipset makes no difference to NVidia cards. Nvidia don't give a monkeys what chipset you use (though I'm sure they'd like to sell you an Nvidia one), they want you to buy a card from them. If they made it so that their cards didn't work on ATI hardware, everyone would do what you did, and return their hardware.

I don't have an answer for you as to why you had those problems, however if your TV doesn't support audio via HDMI, and the card was sending an audio signal, it may be the cause.

You had a lucky escape from a really rotten card (9600GTO), I've seen versions with 3GB of VRAM on them, in a desperate attempt to catch the eye of the naive that think bigger numbers = better.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

As I read almost all reviews of that 9600GSO it seemed like a good and cheap upgrade. Best thing of all is its passive cooling, because I want to reduce noise as much as possible. Gaming is not very high on my priority list, as I don't have enough time to keep track - but wanted to have ability to play something, sometimes. And that something is not Crysis

Yeah, no one has the answers for my problems. Only thing I can be sure about is that it is not TV or cable problem. Audio over HDMI is working (LCD is from Sony's last line, model only few months old and not really an entry level), via onboard HDMI and now via HD4670 - and it was funny as sound was automatically switched to TV when I dragged playing movie onto it. But that's disabled now, sound is connected to an A/V receiver. nVidia cards had to be plugged into soundcard (or onboard) s/pdif output to get audio

So, that leaves motherboard issues. Doesn't like nVidia cards. Meh.

There are several versions of the GSO, so unless you know what you're looking for you might get a turkey if you buy one. The only version worth getting is the one with GDDR3 VRAM, on a 192Mbit bus. Some cards sport cheaper GDDR2 on the same bus bandwidth, bringing total throughput from 38.4GB/s to a pathetic 19.2GB/s. You won't notice if you don't play games at all, but even if you occasionally fire one up, you'll never want to again if you have the crippled version of the GTO. I think the GT is only a few /$ more (about 4 here) and is vastly superior. Doesn't come passively cooled though I don't think.

I believe Gigabyte have bought out a passive 4850, but how well that works I don't know. On stock active cooling they run hot, so no fan at all..... owch.

Glad you got everything working, and at an acceptable sound level. It's difficult building a HTPC that's good for ocasional games. Integrated GFX id perfect for hi-def playback, but sucks for gaming. A HTPC board with something like the Mobile Radeon HD4850 would be great, but no doubt also require active cooling of some sort.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Thread Information