Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5 Vista x64 random freezes

Unhappy GA-EX58-UD5 Vista x64 random freezes

I have had my new GA-EX58-UD5 system for about a week. Unfortunately, I have had 3 random system freezes while using Vista SP1 x64. In each case the freeze was during "light" activity such as downloading a software update or scrolling through a web page. Symptoms are no response to mouse or keyboard and no HDD activity. Recovery is quick and simple via the reset button. I have scanned all the event logs and there are no clues, the only event is 6008 "The previous system shutdown was unexpected"

I have done virus and malware scans and chkdsks on all my hard drives with no problems found. I also ran Memtest86 for over an hour with no issues. I am not doing any overclocking in BIOS, The only BIOS changes are SATA mode and Onboard SATA ctrl mode are both set to AHCI.

My system temps look good with core temps less than 35C at idle and 50C at load. Also, the system passed an overnight Prime95 when it was first built.

Any ideas as to what my problem might be are appreciated
    Last edited by bnc321; 05-27-2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: added comments about system temps
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 rev 1, BIOS F13J
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Intel i7-920 c0
    Kingston Hyperx RAM 3x2gb PC-12800 DDR3-1600
    eVGA GeForce 250 GTS 1gb DDR3
    2x OCZ Vertex SSD 120gb
    2x Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb
    Western Digital Raptor 150gb
    Intel X-25M SSD G2 80gb
    Plextor PX-850SA DVD
    Seasonic S12 Energy Plus 550w
    Zalman 9900 cooler