Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problem: Hyper-V on AMD Phenom X4 9550 and GA-MA78GM-US2H

Angry Problem: Hyper-V on AMD Phenom X4 9550 and GA-MA78GM-US2H

Dear ITFriends,
    I have a problem with Hyper-V role installation on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise (Build 7100). Used hardware is: Motherboard - Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H, Processor AMD Phenom X4 9550 and memory 4x2GB Geil PC6400 800 MHz (5-5-5-15). Win2k8 R2 Enterprise is installed successfully and system is really stable. I have installed latest version of BIOS for this board (F4), loadede optimal defaults in BIOS, made appropriate BIOS changes including option Virtualization - enabled and then perform cold boot. After running win2k8 and adding role Hyper-V system requiers restart, but after restart applied, appears first running windows screen and just after few seconds there is no screen response - screen is black and it seems that system is get hang. I waited more than five minutes but there is no any response. Windows 2k8 cannot run anymore. I have also tried with complete new installation with previous version of w2k8 server with SP1 and SP2 included but both times after Hyper-V installation and first restart system freeze at the first initial windows running screen. Of course, I have installed latest BIOS version (29- Apr-2009, version F4), and after Ctrl-F1 in BIOS and accessing additional BIOS options I have found and enabled Virtualization, but i CANNOT find NoExecute bit option in BIOS (NX for AMD platform). I have checked with AMD Hyper-V compatibility tool and system reports that it is compatible with Hyper-V. Also before adding Hyper-V role, I have checked with AMD CPU Info processor information related to Secure Virtual Mode and report says that Secure Virtual Mode support exist and it is enabled for each of four processors (0-3).

On the driver CD and also on manufacturers web site (Gygabyte) there is ATI VGA driver for built in VGA adapter, but it cannot be loaded after installation and system reports error so standard VGA is loded. R2 Enterprise installation completes standard VGA driver installation and there is no any error in Device Manager. System is very stable before Hyper-V installation but after adding this role W2k8 server cannot start anymore. Also when I tried to add some Hyper-V pathches (KB....) just before Hyper-V installation R2 Enterprise reports that this KB... cannot be applied on this system. I think that those KB... (patches) have been included in R2 w2k8 version. The same error reports w2k8 installation with build-in SP2, but SP1 installation accepts it.

EDITED: Installed latest (version 9.5) ATI Radeon HD3200 drivers for Built-In graphics adapter on a new w2k8 enterprise r2 installation and driver is loaded successfully after system restart. Unfortunately, there is no any progress, first restart after adding Hyper-V role hung up the system and Windows 2k8 cannot be started anymore.

Any help will be very appreciated.
    Thanks a mile in advance!

With kind regards,
    Bobant
    Last edited by bobant; 05-30-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Default Re: Problem: Hyper-V on AMD Phenom X4 9550 and GA-MA78GM-US2H

I am having the same problem, with a 940 processor. I ended up installing VPC2007 as an intermin solution. No response from TechZone support yet.

Gigabyte sent me a new F5 bios, have not installed it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sartwell View Post
    Gigabyte sent me a new F5 bios, have not installed it yet.
    Check my post on the F5 bios. It is bugged as of today when flashing with Qflash. See my thread for fix.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/att-...te-bios-32500/

Does it fix the hyper-v issue?

Quote Originally Posted by sartwell View Post
    Does it fix the hyper-v issue?

I don't know if it does or not. Was just letting you know that there was a problem flashing the bios since we own the same motherboard.

Thread Information