Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gigabyte Crossfire Agony!

Default Re: Gigabyte Crossfire Agony!

Yep I had the exact same problem (Had a Gigabyte 4870 for a few months, bought a new one yesterday, couldn't get crossfire tab to show up), and I tried pretty much everything just like you guys, and the new BIOS solved the problem straight away.

Reading the post I put earlier it appears as if there was some sort of BIOS issue with Gigabytes newer BIOS versions (such as the one in my new card) and this was preventing crossfire from working.

Anyway my specs are pretty similar to yours:

Q6600
    Gigabyte X48-DS4
    Antec EA650
    2 x Gigabyte 4870 1gb
    Vista x64
    4gb Kingston HX DDR2800

etc.

So I think your chances of it solving the problem are pretty damn good :)

Thumbs up Re: Gigabyte Crossfire Agony!

OMFG It works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sirlac...it works bro!!! F24 bios works!!!!

Its been 4 long, hard trying weeks but finally, i can justify the stupid layout of cash I made on my mobo and 2 cards for the extra 2 fps!

Dunno how or where the screw up happened (sounds like you have your finger on the pulse Alfangus), but obviously gigabyte dropped the ball on this one, but, I must say, have finally came good.

Thanks once again to you Sirlac for letting me know it just wasn't me going insane and also to Alfangus. If i could kiss you both right now I would. I am so over the moon!!

I could crap on about the pain and suffering spent on getting this working but you get the gist. i can finally put this issue to bed.

I can feel B1essed_P14gue tears of joy from here! My plight is not so happy. I was able to program one of my cards with the new F24 Bios. But the second card refuses to be upgraded when using either @BIOS through Windows or ATIFlash through DOS. I will have another go tonight as I am looking forward to posting Crossfire Benchmark figures! It may be a faulty card as it is new but have a few more tricks up my sleeve.

Try removing the card you're not flashing and try again.

If you're getting a check sum missmatch, you can safely set the command line switch to force a flash. Only do this if you're sure you're flashing the correct BIOS version to it.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by sirlach View Post
    I can feel B1essed_P14gue tears of joy from here! My plight is not so happy. I was able to program one of my cards with the new F24 Bios. But the second card refuses to be upgraded when using either @BIOS through Windows or ATIFlash through DOS. I will have another go tonight as I am looking forward to posting Crossfire Benchmark figures! It may be a faulty card as it is new but have a few more tricks up my sleeve.
    Aww man, I feel for ya.

However, my situation wasn't as cut and dried as Alfangus seems to have had with his. 1st problem for me was Windows 7 isn't compatible with @bios and I didn't have my vista x64 partition anymore since going to windows 7. So I partitioned, installed Vista again, flashed the first card in Vista, removed it, moved the second card into the 1st slot, flashed it, put the 1st one back in and hook up the crossfire ribbons and VIOLA! Catalyst recognises both cards and I was in business. I swear I looked at the Catalyst CrossfireX screen for about 10 minutes, just trying to absorb it all.

One strange thing about the bios though is that it is signed as of March this year, which either means that Gigabyte stumbled across fixing it with the latest bios (unlikely in my opinion) or that they have been aware of the situation and didn't acknowledge the fact to their customers and were working on it for at least 4 months.

I must admit my faith in Gigabyte is a bit shaken by this whole issue but I can put it all behind me and game until I am a braindead old fool.

There was a BIOS release for my Asus 4850 which fixed the same issue. One card would be disabled permanently while in Crossfire. The source of the glitch had to do with conflicting device ID's.

I know you've done it now, but you really really really shouldn't trust @BIOS. Flashing anything in windows id a bad idea. ATIFlash from a USB stick formatted bootable with Win98 boot disk files is always the better option. Save the current BIOS > flash the new one, job done with minimal risk. IMO @BIOS should be taken down and not distributed with the board on the driver CD. It's like giving away a free thermo-nuclear bomb with every special pack of Kellogg's Corn Flakes.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Thanks for the support.

I have tried both cards in, single card, @BIOS, ATIFlash and WinFlash. The @ BIOS utility is just a graphic rebranding of the ATI Winflash utility and I agree with Psycho's sentiments. I suppose it doensn't help too much as I am trying the windows portion under Windows 7.

I think I will follow B1essed's example and boot up the Vista partition and give that a go. Failing that I am going to backup the BIOS from the card that works and then try and restore that to the card that is not working.

Talking Re: Gigabyte Crossfire Agony!

So how did it go Sirlac?

I did a 3dmark06 benchie and am blown away by the score. Its in the 18000 range.

I cant remember what is the best benchmarking tool for crossfire, 3dmark Vantage or 3dmark 06. I rememebr one is skewed by the cpu and the other is better for measuring the capability of ones gfx setup.

Alas,

After many attempts to flash the BIOS on my second card I am flying the white flag and have sent my card back to get replaced. It is faulty as I have spent 2 days trying every which way to flash the darn thing.

Vista 32/64
    XP 32 with SP2, SP3.
    Windows 7 64
    @BIOS, ATIFLash
    Different Motherboards.

So untill I get a replacement I am flying solo for the time being . Will give me time to focus on my overlclocking efforts. Trying for 4GHz with air cooling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information