Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: weird noise at stock, but goes away when overclocked with Easy Tune 6?

Default weird noise at stock, but goes away when overclocked with Easy Tune 6?

System specs:
    EX58-UD3R Bios version F2
    Core i7940
    3 gigs Patriot Viper Ram, running at 1022
    EVGA Nvidia GTX260 video card
    Dual HDD's, in RAID 0 configuration
    PSU - Corsair 620HX 620 watts

Im getting a weird noise that seems to be coming from my psu whenever I run the core i7 at stock 2.93 ghz speeds. It sounds like a high pitched whine, but can be better described as a "scanning noise". The sound drops or disappears when opening programs, and switching tasks.

When I go into Easy Tune 6, and overclock the CPU to run at 3.08ghz, the sound disappears after restarting windows.

The sound, as far as I can tell first appeared after I installed a new EVGA Nvidia GTX260 card. I down clocked the CPU using easy tune, and heard the sound. After using Easy tune again to overclock, then sound went away.

I know its not the PSU cause I returned it once already thinking that the problem was with that. The PSU is a Corsair 620HX 620 watts. Same with the video card.

Ive also tried running fail safe, and optimized defaults in the bios at stock speed. The noise still persists.

What could be causing the noise, and how do I get rid of it?

Default Re: weird noise at stock, but goes away when overclocked with Easy Tune 6?

disable "CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" in the MIT> advanced CPU features in the Bios. That made it go away for me.

It made both my corsair HX520 and HX620 whine and whistle when it was enabled. Something about this feature makes alot of noise on the power lines and makes the PSU coils go crazy making that noise in trying to smooth it out.
    Last edited by Ragnarok666; 06-02-2009 at 01:15 AM.

Default Re: weird noise at stock, but goes away when overclocked with Easy Tune 6?

I also have a high pitch noise, but only when my CPU is NOT loaded and at 21x multiplier - i.e. during the 1-2 seconds it takes for the multiplier to lower when using all C states. It happens at overclock or stock, but I'm not sure where it's coming from - could be the PSU. Just ignoring it for now - once I close up my case or add the system fan I ordered, I doubt I will hear it at all.
    i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
    24/7 OC: 21x183Mhz = 3.84Ghz @ stock Vcore/QPI voltages
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366
    3x2GB OCZ DDR1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
    EX58-UD4P BIOS F11
    EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC 55nm 896-P3-1257-AR
    Antec NEO HE 550 Power Supply

Quote Originally Posted by demonsavatar View Post
    I also have a high pitch noise, but only when my CPU is NOT loaded and at 21x multiplier - i.e. during the 1-2 seconds it takes for the multiplier to lower when using all C states. It happens at overclock or stock, but I'm not sure where it's coming from - could be the PSU. Just ignoring it for now - once I close up my case or add the system fan I ordered, I doubt I will hear it at all.
    Hey I see your running the same card, by any chance are you noticing any whine from GTX 260 card as well... particularly when running high frame rates? Ive gotten a pretty annoying whine from my card when playing Crysis.

I know for sure that the squealing described in my first post is from the psu, cause i put my ear to it. Same with the vid card.

I'll try the suggestion above, and see if that fixes. But im starting to think these corsair psu's might be prone to whines, squeals, and all sorts of weird noises. A different brand choice might be worth a shot.

Thnx for replies

No whining from my GPU. I would expect Corsair products to be high quality, but I don't have any experience with their PSU's
    i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
    24/7 OC: 21x183Mhz = 3.84Ghz @ stock Vcore/QPI voltages
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366
    3x2GB OCZ DDR1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
    EX58-UD4P BIOS F11
    EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC 55nm 896-P3-1257-AR
    Antec NEO HE 550 Power Supply

Thread Information