Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Help! Cannot Boot! GA EP 45 UD3P

2therock is offline Member

Default Help! Cannot Boot! GA EP 45 UD3P

Been running fine and after a restart it will not get past RAM test and loops.

The boot screen comes up and RAM test text displays but no indication of any testing going on. It's like there is no RAM.

I pulled all external peripherals but the keyboard.
    I pulled RAM sticks one by one then alternated slots.
    Keyboard will not respond to get into BIOS. Tried a different keyboard. No go.

Help? Bad Board?
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H WB Motherboard
    Intel Ivy Bridge i7 3770K clocked @ 4.5GHz
    16GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 2133 RAM
    Water cooling by XSPC RASA RS240 Kit
    Sapphire HD 6850 1GB DDR5 GPU
    1TB - RAID1 setup with Western Digital 6GB/Sec Drives
    Corsair HX750W Professional PSU
    Windows 7 Professional (x64) Build 7601

Default Re: Help! Cannot Boot! GA EP 45 UD3P

We need some more info please. Is this a new board... if so, how new.

Have you made any modifications in the BIOS?

What were you doing with it before you turned it off the last time that it worked correctly?

Do you have surge protection?

Have there been any "incidents" recently? This could be something like your comp getting bumped, an electrical storm, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex St. John
    Consider for a moment that what we think of as “intelligence” is the byproduct of a computing architecture that depends on massive parallelism to interact with the world in real time without stalling for progress bars. If our ancestors’ brains had depended on running Vista on current dual-core processors for their survival, they would have been eaten by bears.

Best Quote Ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101
    Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
    Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

Thanks,

The board is less than a year old. It was running fine and the restart was for GP since it had not been rebooted for a while.
    No storms, just normal running.
    No BIOS tweaking since the machine was built.
    Yes on surge protection.
    No bumps.

Vista x64.

kick is offline Senior Member

Does it get the "reboot loop"?

A.Hold down the power button until it tirns off.Turn off the psu switch.hold down the power button for a couple of min.Turn on the psu,turn on the machine.
    Let it try and boot at least 3 times to get itno bios.Load and save optimal defaults..

B.If that doesnt work short out the cmos jumper with the psu turned off,(see mbrd manual).
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Thanks,
    Yes it loops.

I'm at work now and have a new mobo battery in my pocket. I pulled the current one this AM.

So when I get home should I just pop in the new battery and hit it to see or should do the jumper and hold the power button thing and stuff?

I guess with the battery out the jumpoer thing is already done Eh?

Talk to me. If all this is a no go is it a new board thing. The board is still under warranty. How hard is it to get Gigabyte to replace a board?

I am sure kick would tell you to pop in the battery, boot and load/save optimized defaults.

As far as board RMA I have never had to do it so I can't comment on Gigabytes RMA service, but I bet it's just fine..

Aye, pop the battery back in, short the CMOS clear pins with a screwdriver/key and load Optimized Defaults.

If it still doesn't fire up, I'd remove the board from the case and set everything up with the board on top of an anti static bag and some thick cardboard. Install the minimum (CPU, RAM - only 1 stick, GFX), even with no HDD it'll make it to the post screen before it beeps at you. Shorting out on the case is a common(ish) problem. It's easily solved by using insulated stand offs. I'be personally used the big square of antistatic foam the board's packed with. It's sitting at the back of the mobo now, the case risers pop right through it, and it muffles some of the sound from my HSF, as well as stopping any metal on metal contact between board and case.
    Last edited by Psycho101; 06-03-2009 at 01:51 AM.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

I'be personally used the big square of antistatic foam the board's packed with. It's sitting at the back of the mobo now, the case risers pop right through it
    Sorry to go off topic, but Psycho, you are a genius man. That is such a great, simple idea... definitely gonna do that this weekend.
    Consider for a moment that what we think of as “intelligence” is the byproduct of a computing architecture that depends on massive parallelism to interact with the world in real time without stalling for progress bars. If our ancestors’ brains had depended on running Vista on current dual-core processors for their survival, they would have been eaten by bears.

Best Quote Ever...
    Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
    Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

You folks here in Tweaktown are the BEST! It must have been a board to case grounding.

I'm composing this reply on the revived machine!
    New battery installed and all the on off, jumper things and such for a no go. The BIOS did revert back to default because I got the Gigabyte slash screen after this but not past the Memory test text.

I stripped her down doing all the take this out and see stuff and eliminated the bad cards thing. Took the RAM to the Basement PC and it worked fine there.

I looked at the pulling of the board and put it on the antistatic & foam and I gots to tell ya, it would be a major major hassle the way all my wiring is routed and stuff so I cheated. If the cheat did not work I would have hunkered down and done it.

With the board stripped down to CPU only I loosened all my board mounting screws and wiggled the board around and gently locked them back down but not as hard as originally.

Now......... when I tilted the case back upright I heard several tiny peices of debris falling from the back of the board to the bottom of the case. Solder buggers!

Sucked it out and fired it up and BAM! Shut her down and slapped it all back together and still BAM! Happy, happy, joy joy!!!!!!

Thanks guys!!!!!!

Congratulations!! Have a beer on me

Best Quote Ever...

Thread Information