Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Pitched sound from PSU on Gigabyte EX58-UD4

Default High Pitched sound from PSU on Gigabyte EX58-UD4

Hi,

I wanted to sign up to discuss my issue i am having and since this is the Official Gigabyte forums i think people might be able to help.

Ok let me start.

I just recently upgraded my setup from a s939 4600+ to a i7 920 which i know is a huge jump but it hasn't been a smooth one at all.

I brought the CPU, Mobo, Memory but wanted to keep using all my HDDs and keep my existing PSU which is a Hiper Type-R 580w.

I set it all up and it worked fine as i began to install windows...

I then get a loud high pitched sound coming from the PSU which i have never heard before. I finished installing windows and on loud it gets even louder which is unacceptable really.

I was advised to turn off C1E and EIST functions inside the bios which i did and i still get the loud pitched noise no matter what. I tried all BIOS versions there was including the newest F6a but currently on F5.

I was able to easily overclock to 3.6Ghz and have that prime'd for over 5 hours even with the loud pitched noise but it was stable but high frustrating.

So what is causing the noise? Is there a fix? Do Gigabyte know about this? What are my options?

I contacted Scan where i brought it from and they sort of aware this is happening to people but said they would refund or let me swap if found faulty which it clearly must be.

The question is, What should i do?

Default Re: High Pitched sound from PSU on Gigabyte EX58-UD4

It may sound silly right now but you may have a ground between your motherboard and case (standoffs installed?). So you might want to check that out as a possible fix. Seems like we ran across a similar problem a month or so back.
    But that still to me doesn't explain the noise from PS. Of course it may have sounded like that’s where it came from though. Either way you might want to consider a new PS cause they just don't do that normally. JM2C
    Let us know if that helped.
    Last edited by Conners; 06-04-2009 at 02:40 AM.

Thank you from replying quickly.

I installed it into my old case so the standoff are installed yes as it never happened on my last motherboard.

What i will do is take the mobo out and reinstall it anyway but i doubt is going to fix anything.

I heard people went out and got a new PSU and it did the very same thing which is why i am pointing the finger at the motherboard.

I know my PSU is not of the highest quality but it should be ample enough to power it. I mean i downclocked it to 1.6Ghz and it still done the noise which would use far less power than my 4600+ and i have less HDDs connected that i did have.

If anyone can suggest anything else.

I initially wanted the UD5 so i might ask to exchange it for that before i buy a new PSU but i'll have to prove that the motherboard is faulty.

To be sure it not a ground fault a peeps could take the MB out of the case and test it on something like cardboard and see if it is ok that way. If it is well you know the rest....

I have tested it out of the case and the PSU whines like a little girl still. I heard someone had the same issue and a new PSU fixed it. I will have access to my dad Hiper 880w PSU tomorrow morning so i will test that first thing then i will know if the Mobo is the fault of not then i can proceed with the RMA to Scan.

I keep thinking i should of got the UD5 version instead.

I should note that the noise i get doesn't happen when i cold boot, Lets say first thing in the morning. It will take maybe 10mins before the noise will start creeping in.

If i turn off system and leave for an hour the same applies.

It could well be that too much current is going to the PSU and overloading it slighty or the caps are taking too much and hence the noise.

Seems weird if i am able to OC it and it remains stable but just annoying to use because of the noise.

I will swap out my dads PSU and see how that goes. If i still get the noise on that then we know what is wrong.

The sound is a capacitor inside the PSU squealing. It can be quite common. Sometimes it will happen at idle, sometimes full load, sometimes at any other load percentage. It can depend on many components, from mobo to CPU, RAM, GFX cards etc. Also the same for component may make it happen on one board but not another, and changing GFX cards on the mobo making it squeel may well eliminate the squeel. It's hard to narrow down. In rare cases it can indicate a failing PSU.

I have the exact same PSU. I originally had a Type R 530, but when I RMA'd it after it spontaniously and silently died (direct to Hyper).

On receiving the PSU back I was pretty chuffed to find a 580W unit. It was blue which meant my cables didn't match any more but I didn't care, thought I had a good deal. I find out it has a 3 year warranty 1 month before it runs out AND I get a better PSU back.

I plug it in, and to my disappointment the thing sounds like a cheese grater being used to grate plastic. At this point I don't care about the PSU anymore and certainly can't be arsed to spend 6 returning it again. So I take it apart to see what's wrong.

Problem 1: The 80mm fan at the back is so loose on its bearings that it's knocking against both the rear of the fan itself and the wire fan guard.

Problem 2 : I remove the fan screws, take out the fan and unplug it from the PCB. I then find that the damnd wire is melted, and there's bare wire exposed. I was fuming! A supposedly re-conditioned unit and they send it with a rattling fan with a burned wire? How did the wire get burned? Is it to do with the now (maybe) fixed fault that it was re-conditioned from? Is it still faulty? Also how the hell didn't they notice the fan was screwed in the first place.

I threw the piece of crap straight in the bin. Sent a pretty scorning email to Hypoo, never got a response. The condition they sent that PSU in shows complete incompetence IMO. I'd never use another Hyper PSU as long as I live.

My advice would be to buy a PSU worthy of your i7. I am biased but I will say in all honesty, Type R PSU's are pretty poor. An OCZ 400W supply I have has more available power on the 12V rails than my Type R 580W, which is ridiculous. If you're a die hard Hyper fan, then at least upgrade to one of their latest models. I hear they've improved from what they used to be. I still wouldn't touch em though.

PS, My Hyper 530W always squealed a bit, and died in approx 2 years of use.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

I installed my Dad's Hiper Type M 880w PSU and guess what.....

No high pitched sounds at all. I have left Prime running for 30 minutes and no noises at all. I then played a game for about 15 minutes and again no noise.

I left it idle for awhile then came back and run Prime again.....no noise after 30 minutes.

I must have been overloading the PSU caps. It runs perfectly fine on my 580w and stable just high pitched noises all the time.

I guess i need to get a new PSU then.

PSU's can squeel at any time, regardless of load too. Like I say, it can indicate a fault, a failing capacitor or just be a characteristic of the PSU. However, for a 580W unit, it only has 390W available on the 12V rail (kinda poor) so it could be under pressure.

That's the funny thing about PSU's. Before my 530W died it ran my system great, I just pressed the power button one day and nothing happened. Would have been the same with my 580W, if itwas still faulty it would have ran the system fine for a while, then could have burned my house down.

I'm not going to carry on being anti-Hyper, but I would recommend having a look at some reviews (on reputable sites, not Newegg reviews etc). A good quality PSU should have :

A large % of its power available on the 12V rail(s)
    Japaneese capacitors if possible, with 105c temp tolerance, not 85c
    Be rated to give its output at 40c or higher
    Be cooled by a quiet 120mm - 140mm fan, not 80mm (unless an Antec/PC P&C)
    Be highly efficient at all loads (80%+) and thus quieter and cooler
    Provide stable voltage, in spec with low ripple and noise
    Have all the connectors you want, and more

A PSU in the range of 600-850W would be ideal as it will allow you to upgrade as you wish, adding a second GPU etc. Highly recommended brands include:

Corsair
    BFG (ES-800 or EX1200, other BFG's aren't as well made)
    Seasonic
    Enermax (Revolution series)
    PC Power and Cooling
    Zalman
    BeQuiet

Take a look on [H]ard|OCP - www.hardocp.com for some really thorough reviews. Your PSU has the potential to take other components with it when it dies, so getting a good quality one is essential.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

So a PS it is then good job men!

A squeeling PS is never good no matter what the problem is. My bet is on the bearings running a little dry. Please disassemble befor discarding and inspect. Nah just kidding.

All I can say is choose a PS within your budget, and the connections you need for your hardware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information