Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Install procedure Help for GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3R

Default Install procedure Help for GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3R

Hello guys...

I could not find all the answers to my questions, so this is why I'm asking.

Here is the specs on my new build which I'll do the weekend of June 6th.
    GA-EP45C-UD3R
    2X2Gig OCZ 6400
    Westerndigital 500 sata hard drive
    Q9400 cpu
    BFG 550 Power supply
    Gigabyte Gforce 7200gs pcie 256 (for now)
    Sony Dvd
    Sony Floppy
    Antec 300 case

I've built plenty of pc's before but none like this one with all the tweaks.
    I've never messed with raid before. I'm just not use to a bios with all these features.

Ok, I don't want to use raid, I don't want to overclock (for now).

Can you give me the proper settings so I can have a successful install of XP Pro sp3, or Vista.
    I will have a floppy drive installed so hopefully, I'll make the Sata/Raid driver boot disk properly. ( do I need to )

Thanks.

Mitch

Last edited by mitch52; 06-04-2009 at 08:19 AM.

Default Re: Install procedure Help for GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3R

Quote Originally Posted by mitch52 View Post
    Hello guys...

I could not find all the answers to my questions, so this is why I'm asking.

Here is the specs on my new build which I'll do the weekend of June 6th.
    GA-EP45C-UD3R
    2X2Gig OCZ 6400
    Westerndigital 500 sata hard drive
    Q9400 cpu
    BFG 550 Power supply
    Gigabyte Gforce 7200gs pcie 256 (for now)
    Sony Dvd
    Sony Floppy
    Antec 300 case

I've built plenty of pc's before but none like this one with all the tweaks.
    I've never messed with raid before. I'm just not use to a bios with all these features.

Ok, I don't want to use raid, I don't want to overclock (for now).

Can you give me the proper settings so I can have a successful install of XP Pro sp3, or Vista.
    I will have a floppy drive installed so hopefully, I'll make the Sata/Raid driver boot disk properly. ( do I need to )

Thanks.

Mitch

Mitch52,

(*There once was a man named "Mitch"... )

You know the most of the following already, but I'm mentioning them anyway: (And others that don't, may end up reading it too.)

Install just WinXP or just Vista with ONLY one single completely formatted HDD connected (and only one partition on it that takes up its entire space. Or, with zero partitions on it whatsoever... preferably no partitions because you want to do a fresh format with the OS you'll be using and not some third party's app.)... have a DVD-ROM, KB, and Mouse and a horse of course.

If you want to have both WinXP and Vista, I would still install just one OS and Tweak things for a number of days or even a couple of weeks or more and basically Road Test this new build with a single OS.

You want to know the Hardware you purchased works 100% AOK on a single OS before finding yourself having to ask why something doesn't work on another OS. In other words, you can reduce the possibilities to Software only related if you have problems, and not both Software and Hardware if you wait a while before adding a second OS.

But keep in mind that if you wanted to have both WinXP and Vista, it's a much different, and more complicated procedure, then it was with combination's of previous versions of Windows. (All those before Vista of course). And therefore a little research is required. And a third party's utility must be used in order to avoid using a super duper propitiatory command-line utility that comes with Vista for Dual Booting with it. (Unless of course your one of those "Mr. Me-A-Super-Linux-Guy" guys, that I envy so much.)

To avoid having to use Vista's command-line utility for dual booting, try these urls: (IF you wanted two Operating Systems at some point in time that is.)

How to dual-boot Vista with XP (with XP installed first) - step-by-step guide with screenshots

How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

(I've used the above procedure, for XP first, for well over a year now.)

As far as BIOS settings, and installing fresh OS on a brand new PC, it's best to load Optimal settings, Save, Exit, and Restart.

You want to get the OS installed first. And not worry just yet about RAM timings and say 1066MHz versus 800Mhz RAM speeds. Just get the OS installed and backed up for the future.

The backed up part I'm referring to is Imaging. With something like Norton Ghost or Acronis TrueImage. Because if in the future you tweak the BIOS settings, or you all out OC your PC, you can many times- especially when learning how to- end up with a corrupted OS and as a result need to do multiple re-installations. So, with a good Image backup of a fresh OS installation, it can be restored in literally a few minuets- versus hours, and can help enormously when it comes to diagnosing problems and all other possible contingencies plans.

And, you hopefully shouldn't need additional drivers like in past nightmare setups where ppl had to halt their build(s) and run out and buy a floppy drive because they could not begin or boot to an OS installation CD without first installing SATA or RAID drivers loaded from floppy. (Well, I hope you don't, but I highly doubt you will.)

But install your OS with all Optimal BIOS settings. (Load Optimal, Save, Exit, and Restart.) And in order to speed up the boot process later on- after installing a fresh OS, and then some time down the road- after you have proven the your OS and your new Hardware both work just fine, then you can disable a raid controller or two, and speed up your POST by bypassing what becomes like a nag screen to config RAID. In other words, even though you may never ever use RAID, at least you will know the RAID chips are not defective if you wait a little while before disabling them.

Sorry for too much info, but sometimes its simply unavoidable. And its always best to start out with a good game plan, rather than wishing later on, that you had implemented one!

GL
    <<< LGA2011 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply: CORSAIR AX Series AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular (NE Link)
    > Chipset : Intel X99
    > Mainboard :Gigabyte GA-X99-Ultra Gaming
    (NE Link)
    > Processor : i7-6850K (NE Link)
    > AIO: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 (NE Link)
    > Physical Memory : G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW (NE Link)
    > Video Card : 2x ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING (NE Link)

<<< LGA1366 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply:
    >>>Original PSU (2011-01) :
    Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade PSU (2012-01) : CORSAIR AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W (NE Link)
    > Chipset : Intel X58
    > Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (REV.2.0) (FB BIOS)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > Processor : i7-950 (Revision D0) 3.0GHz @3.84GHz
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > HSF:
    Noctua NH-D14 (NE Link MPP Link)
    > Physical Memory :
    >>>Original RAM (2011-01) : G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
    >>>Upgrade RAM (2012-01) : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) w/FrostByte Heatsink Model 998990 (NE Link MPP Link OverClockersClub Dot Com Article)
    > Video Card :
    >>>Original Vid Card (2011-01) : BFG Geforce GTX295 (
    NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2012-01) : (2) EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GTX 560 Ti (2GB)-SLI (
    NE Link)
    >>>Upgrade Vid Card(2013-07) : (2) GTX 760-SLI Gigabyte GV-N760OC-4GB (NE Link)
    > DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B ATA Device
    > Monitor :
    ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26" (
    NE Link)
    > Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate
    > Case : COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel (
    NE Link)

<<< LGA775 System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply: Corsair 620HX (
    NE Link)
    > Mainboard : Gigabyte P35-S3G (F2 BIOS)
    > Chipset : Intel P35
    > Processor : Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale (Revision C0) 3.0GHz @ 3950 MHz
    > HSF: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    > Physical Memory : CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) (
    Link)
    > Video Card : BFG Geforce GTX295
    >
    Monitor : ViewSonic Pro Series VP2655wb Black 26"

Thank you so much for your reply Bee_Dee_3_Dee, it's appreciated.
    I guess I was not very clear.. I met to say that I would install either xp pro or vista ultimate. No dual boot.
    I guess my biggest fear is, do I have to install the Sata Drivers when I install what ever OS I decide to use.
    Thanks again.

Thank you so much for your reply Bee_Dee_3_Dee, it's appreciated.
    I guess I was not very clear.. I met to say that I would install either xp pro or vista ultimate. No dual boot.
    I guess my biggest fear is, do I have to install the Sata Drivers when I install what ever OS I decide to use.
    Thanks again.
    Nope. Sry I thought I covered that when i said:

And, you hopefully shouldn't need additional drivers like in past nightmare setups where ppl had to halt their build(s) and run out and buy a floppy drive because they could not begin or boot to an OS installation CD without first installing SATA or RAID drivers loaded from floppy. (Well, I hope you don't, but I highly doubt you will.)
    GL

PS
    And let me know your status as you go.
    > Power Supply: CORSAIR AX Series AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Haswell Ready Full Modular (NE Link)
    (NE Link)
    > Physical Memory : G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW (NE Link)

> Power Supply:
    Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > HSF:
    > Physical Memory :
    >>>Original RAM (2011-01) : G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
    >>>Upgrade RAM (2012-01) : Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) w/FrostByte Heatsink Model 998990 (NE Link MPP Link OverClockersClub Dot Com Article)
    > Video Card :
    NE Link)
    NE Link)
    > Monitor :
    NE Link)
    NE Link)

NE Link)
    Link)
    >

I sure will..
    Thanks again..

I'll be picking up a case on Saturday and do the build..
    Hopefully all will go good...
    I will let you know either way...

I sure will..
    Thanks again..

I'll be picking up a case on Saturday and do the build..
    Hopefully all will go good...
    I will let you know either way...
    Oh, I forgot to say, "np" the last time. So np and np again!

The following url is for the case I got just over a year ago. I got it because at the time it was on sale for like only $39 and it had free shipping too. And it has a 450 Watt PSU with one PCI-E six pin plug and a 20+4 pin MOBO plug. I figured it would be nice to have that PSU for diagnosing and emergencies and or an HTPC or sumping. (It would suck at the current $64 +Shipping.)

Rosewill R604TSB-N 3 x120mm Cooling Fan Pre-Installed on the TOP,Front and Rear ,ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with 450W Power Supply - Retail

But if I had my choice right now I'd get one of these two: (Absolutely!)

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Unfortunately, just before I bought the HAF 932 (when it was offered with free shipping and around $29 off) back in the beginning of May, I had to save money to RMA my 28" ViewSonic Monitor after it broke plus maybe invest in another one.

Check out the thread I made on the HAF 932 back then:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/cool...f-932-a-31910/

I was so psyched about it... but just two days before the sale ended my monitor broke.

(I wanted to complete a whole week of research on the
    HAF 932, and order it at the last possible minuet. The research I did made me conclude its one super nice case that would last and last. Its a classic!)

But just today I called ViewSonic... again... and finally found out that I'm getting my RMAed
    28" ViewSonic Monitor... ...replaced!!!! (Not just repaired.) And with a brand new one that includes all accessories!!!! w00t! And hopefully no stuck pixels because the RMAed one had a solid blue-green stuck pixel on the lower left (from the day I bought it online) that ruined games in dark environments in video games.

GL
    Mitch52!

Last edited by Bee_Dee_3_Dee; 06-05-2009 at 10:20 AM.
    (NE Link)

> Power Supply:
    Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > HSF:
    > Physical Memory :
    > Video Card :
    NE Link)
    NE Link)
    > Monitor :
    NE Link)
    NE Link)

NE Link)
    Link)
    >

Hello Bee_Dee_3_Dee.

Ok, I'm up and running.
    I managed to get Cooler Master Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB Case. It was cheap in price but has plenty of room for me to work in, which is a plus. I saw some more expensive one's, but I was trying to make my money last. I'm glad I got this one.

Ok, so you want to hear how the install went? ( a comedy of errors on my part).
    I got everything assembled. Plugged power to the pc, turned it on and would you know it, it booted up. So I went into the BIOS and enabeld optimized Defaults as I've read that in these forums for my motherboard. Now since I did that, I'm thinking that AHCI is already enabled, so I got to install XP which went fine and took maybe 25 30 minutes.
    After the install completed, I look in Device manager and I dont't see anything that say's. Long story short I had to enable AHCI for Intel and I had it for the Gigabyte controler.. It's working fine.

Now I need a good bios guide for my motherboard for best performance.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by mitch52; 06-08-2009 at 09:00 AM.

Hello Bee_Dee_3_Dee.

Ok, I'm up and running.
    I managed to get Cooler Master Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB Case. It was cheap in price but has plenty of room for me to work in, which is a plus. I saw some more expensive one's, but I was trying to make my money last. I'm glad I got this one.

Ok, so you want to hear how the install went? ( a comedy of errors on my part).
    I got everything assembled. Plugged power to the pc, turned it on and would you know it, it booted up. So I went into the BIOS and enabeld optimized Defaults as I've read that in these forums for my motherboard. No since I did that, I'm thinking that AHCI is already enabled, so I got to install XP which went fine and took maybe 25 30 minutes.
    After the install completed, I look in Device manager and I dont't see anything that say's. Long story short I had to enable AHCI for Intel and I had it for the Gigabyte controler.. It's working fine.

Now I need a good bios guide for my motherboard for best performance.

Thanks again.
    Cool and np! Thanks for the update.

Now, for ppl that currently have with your MOBO, those that come along in the future with one, and especially everyone that can help you now with tweaking your BIOS... set-up your signature the following way:

(And then everyone will be able to easily see all your Specifications on every post you make.)

1. Click where it says "User CP" at the top of any page on this forum when your logged in. Or maybe this might work: TweakTown Forums .

2. Click, " Edit Signature " on the left of your Control Panel.

3. Update the following with your own info and copy/paste it all into your new signature:

<<< System Summary >>>
    > Power Supply: ________________________
    > Mainboard : ________________________
    > Chipset : ________________________
    > Processor : ________________________
    > CPU HeatSink and Fan (HSF): ________________________
    > Physical Memory : ________________________(Put a Link to your RAM's specifications here next to it.)
    > Video Card : ________________________
    > DVD-Rom Drive : ________________________
    > Monitor Type : ________________________
    > Operating System : ________________________

4. Preview and save it.

And include your mobo rev#, bios version in your signature too.

c ya Mitch52! GL too.
    (NE Link)

> Power Supply:
    Corsair 620HX (NE Link)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    (NE Link MPP Link)
    > HSF:
    > Physical Memory :
    > Video Card :
    NE Link)
    NE Link)
    > Monitor :
    NE Link)
    NE Link)

NE Link)
    Link)
    >

Thread Information