Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: No start with new board, CPU & PSU

genegold is offline Member

Default No start with new board, CPU & PSU

The symptom is after pushing the power button, the CPU fan jiggles and the video board fan spins a few times, but no power/start beyond that.

The setup is a new GA-MA790X-UD4P, new Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma Black Ed., new Corsair 450VX PSU, along with a MSI/ATI 4670, new Kingston HyperX 2x2gb RAM (also floppy drive, DVD-R/W and WD 7500gb HDD). (XP/SP3, but haven't gotten that far w/ new setup).

What I've tried so far w/o luck are disconnect/reconnect the two power connectors to the MB and the CPU connector, flipping the power switch connector orientation (and disconnecting the LEDs and reset switch), pulling the video card, and disconnecting the keyboard/mouse and HDD.

Suggestions what might be wrong or what I'm missing? Thanks.
    Last edited by genegold; 06-05-2009 at 06:29 AM.

Default Re: No start with new board, CPU & PSU

Try taking the board back out of the case, set it on some cardboard and see what you get. Hook the PSU up, use video card and 1 stick of ram. Use a small screwdriver and touch the pins where the power 'switch' connects to the board after you have the power supply turned on.
    Last edited by chuckm; 06-07-2009 at 12:23 PM.
    E7400, Gigabyte P45-UD3P, 2gb Patriot PC28500,
    WD 320 gig HD, Sapphire 4670 DDR4, Corsair VX550
    Xigmatek HDT1283, Antec 300, Xp Pro 32bit

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Try taking the board back out of the case, set it on some cardboard and see what you get. Hook the PSU up, use video card and 1 stick of ram. Use a small screwdriver and touch the pins where the power connects to the board after you have the power supply turned on.
    Thanks. I can't tell you exactly what it was, but twice I called Corsair yesterday and twice while waiting on for tech support, the problems I was calling about disappeared. In this case, I had just replugged the two power cables to the board. Then I hooked up everythying else except (accidentally) the floppy and it started again. Then the floppy and it didn't. Reseated both ends of that and it did. Go figure.
    Last edited by genegold; 06-06-2009 at 01:36 AM.

Glad to hear you got it working genegold!

Just thought I'd pop in on this thread and warn anyone who, in the future, reads it. I'm sure chuckm had the best of intentions on how to start a computer without a switch but the instruction "Use a small screwdriver and touch the pins where the power connects to the board" is more than a bit scary. If someone uses this info they had best know EXACTLY what pins to short or they will have a whole new set of problems.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg View Post
    Glad to hear you got it working genegold!

Just thought I'd pop in on this thread and warn anyone who, in the future, reads it. I'm sure chuckm had the best of intentions on how to start a computer without a switch but the instruction "Use a small screwdriver and touch the pins where the power connects to the board" is more than a bit scary. If someone uses this info they had best know EXACTLY what pins to short or they will have a whole new set of problems.
    Good point! I had taken out a volt meter to check the PSU leads when I decided to try replugging one more time.

My bad, forgot the word "switch".
    E7400, Gigabyte P45-UD3P, 2gb Patriot PC28500,
    WD 320 gig HD, Sapphire 4670 DDR4, Corsair VX550
    Xigmatek HDT1283, Antec 300, Xp Pro 32bit

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    My bad, forgot the word "switch".
    That's ok, but a related question. With both on cable select, I disconnect the HDD, which is the first in line on the IDE cable from the mb, and reboot. The DVD drive then runs fine once, but when that operation is stopped and another dvd/cd put in, the drive is no longer recognized by the system until the computer is rebooted. Is that because it's on the second IDE connector?

Thread Information