Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte EX58-Extreme problem

Default Gigabyte EX58-Extreme problem

Hello

I have recently built a new i7 system, specs are in my signature.

My problem is that under heavy load, the system will just turn off and restart. I have no idea what's causing this and if this is normal behavior for the board.

This happens on stock values, memory on XMP profile which is below spec (1866MHz, spec is 2000MHz). The problem is much more apparent when overclocked slightly which is required for the 2000MHz, so I dont use it.

I have tried different power supplies and the problem is the same so I know that's not the issue. All components are brand new other than HDD & DVD drive.

I have tested with Prime95 which does not detect any problems, but it will just turn off eventually. I have also tested with IntelBurn test which causes the turn off much more quickly, although once it has reported the system to be unstable on stock settings. Memtest reveals memory to be fine, although I haven't tested more than 2 hours.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I'm thinking either CPU or Memory but I dont know how to determine which. I also have no idea if the fact the system just turns off and restarts is normal behavior for the EX58-Extreme or if this means the board itself is faulty.

Please help!!
    Gigabyte EX58-Extreme / Intel i7 920 D0 2.66GHz w/ TRUE / Kingston HyperX 2000MHz 6GB / BFG Geforce 285GTX OCX / Corsair HX 1000W

Default Re: Gigabyte EX58-Extreme problem

no its not normal

i say one of 2 things eith memory is not stable are you have heat problems
    Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown cooled By Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CPU waterblock
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Water Cooled
    Corsair Dominator 12GB (6 x 2GB) Model CMD12GX3M6A1600C8
    2 Gigabyte GTX 480 in SLI
    6 Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM in Raid 0
    2 Plextor sata Blu_ray Drives Model PX-B320SA
    Ultra X4 1200 Watt
    Thermaltake Armor+Thermaltake Bigwater 760 IS
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
    Creative Gigaworks 750S 7.1 Suround 700 watt
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Typically it just turned off while I was writing a reply!

I'm confident it's not a temperature problem, I have very good airflow in the case and the CPU registers at 40C under 100% load although realtemp shows the cores to be just under 60C each.

I'll do some more testing on the memory, but surely a memory error would cause the system to hang or BSOD rather than just turn the whole system off?
    Gigabyte EX58-Extreme / Intel i7 920 D0 2.66GHz w/ TRUE / Kingston HyperX 2000MHz 6GB / BFG Geforce 285GTX OCX / Corsair HX 1000W

when it shuts down is it instant i mean like tunning off a light swicth?

when system comes back on does it asked if you want to start windows normally.

if i had to guess i would say memory is you problem without seeing the sytem myself

try running memory at 1600 i know it rated at 2000 but try it also set votage for memory at 1.64 in not sure of the timming of that ram but 8 8 8 24 should work and be stable

if it runs good at these settings slowlly increse speed memory to see when it shuts down
    Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown cooled By Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CPU waterblock
    Ultra X4 1200 Watt

Yeah it just goes off like a switch without warning, then starts itself back up again. I do get the windows startup options when it boots back up again.

It's happened with memory running at 1333/1600/1866/2000Mhz and I've tried keeping timings slightly above what the spec is. Still no change.

I'm running memtest right now with memory running 2000Mhz 8-8-8-24 1.66 memory voltage and 1.7QPI (XMP profile sets these). To run this I've underclocked the CPU using the multiplier otherwise it has to be overclocked and if it causes a turn off I'll not know what causes it. 3 hours so far and no errors.

I have a feeling it may be CPU, as to run with 2000Mhz the system is slightly overclocked and it'll fail much quicker. When I tried overclocking before this problem became apparent it would happen while windows is logging in. I just thought the turn off was normal at the time.

I'm just really hoping the memtest shows a memory problem, otherwise I don't know what to change or test to fix it. This system is causing me nothing but problems :(

senice you get the windows startup options when it boots back up again

without see your pc in person i say its the memory I no you dont want to buy memory but i would recomend one of these sets

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

good luck on what you deside to do

try running with one stick at a time you might fine one is bad that way
    Ultra X4 1200 Watt

if you want to try memory i have a set of the CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 im not useing ill sell cheap

Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

as i had 12 gigs running but motherboard failed with 12 replaced board and i wont add the other 6 gigs back now as i have read in alot of forum of other people haveing problem with 12 gigs running
    Ultra X4 1200 Watt

Thanks for all your help so far Judge.

I'm not quite ready to buy some more memory just yet, at least until I determine it as a problem. I was going to buy the Dominiators but for some reason I didn't. Everything is brand new though so if something is faulty I can send it back at least.

Memtest has not pulled up any problems though after many hours of testing, I'll leave it overnight just to be sure. But for a problem which is so aggrivated if the CPU is overclocked even the slightest I'm sure it's either the CPU or the motherboad causing this.

Is there anyone perhaps from Gigabyte on these boards who could confirm what the instant power off is indicative of?
    If I can at least eliminate the motherboard as the problem then I'd be much happier, as CPU and/or memory are much easier & cheaper to return for testing.

I wish it was just memory causing this as I'd do my best to find the funds for some dominators, but testing so fair shows it to be rock solid :(

Im running out of options here, please help!!

Ok so an update so far...

I ran Memtest with memory running at 2002Mhz 8-8-8-24-1T timings for 24hours straight with no errors at all. To run this I had the muliplier lowered to 18x with BCLK at 143 (XMP Profile) so the CPU was underclocked at 2574Mhz.

I ran the same test but upped the multiplier to 19x giving a CPU overclock at 2717Mhz. Not much, but within a few seconds many errors appeared.

Now, bearing in mind that the CPU is now also the memory controller - do these results indicate that it is infact the CPU causing my problem or the memory, or perhaps the motherboard although from the results I'm seeing I find the motherboard to be unlikely as the source of the problem.

If anyone could give a definate answer to this I'd greatly appreaciate it!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

What IOH, Ram, and QPI/Vtt voltages are you using? To run 2000Mhz ram is pretty hard on the Uncore as you are crossing into the 4Ghz+ area. You may need to use 1.2+ IOH, 1.4/1.45-1.5+ QPI/Vtt and maybe even 1.68-1.7 Vram.

I should also let you know I see a quick/high failurerate and also a high DOA rate on the mentioned sticks......

Mind giving us your full settings and maybe myself or someone else can offer you some things to try

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

0X00000050 << Incorrect Memory Timing/Freq or Uncore Multi
    0X00000124 << Incorrect QPI/Vtt Voltage (To Much/Not Enough)
    0X00000101 << Not enough Vcore Voltage

CPU = Model #
    Motherboard = Model, Revision #
    BIOS Version =
    Ram = Brand, Model#, Part#, And or Link

Code:
    Advanced CPU Features:
    CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [20x]
    Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled]
    CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
    CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Disabled]
    C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology ................... [Enabled] << Disabled if you do not use Vmware or Virtual PC Programs
    Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
    QPI Link Speed .............................. x36
    Uncore Frequency ..........................  (Always 2x memory Multi or 2x +1)
    Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
    Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled]
    BCLK Frequency (MHz) .....................
    PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [100]

C.I.A.2 [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control:
    CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
    PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
    CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
    IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
    Performance Enhance ...................... [Standard]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ......... [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [AUTO]
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [Manual]

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
    ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
    CAS Latency Time ......................
    tRCD .......................................
    tRP .........................................
    tRAS .......................................

##Channel A Advanced Timing Control##
    tRC ........................................  (Should be = tRAS + tRP or above for stability)
    tRRD .......................................
    tWTR ...................................... (Must be Write to Read Delay/Same Rank - (tWL + 4)
    tWR ........................................
    tWTP .......................................
    tWL ........................................   (tWTP Must = tWR + tWL + 4)(tWL Must be CAS Latency -1)
    tRFC .......................................
    tRTP .......................................
    tFAW ......................................
    Command Rate (CMD) ................

##Channel A Misc Timing Control##
    Round Trip Latency ...................

Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU
    Load Line Calibration ................. [Disabled]
    CPU Vcore ...............................
    QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............
    CPU PLL 1.800v .......................

MCH/ICH
    PCIE 1.500v ...........................
    QPI PLL 1.100v .......................
    IOH Core 1.100v .....................
    ICH I/O 1.500v .......................
    ICH Core 1.1v ........................

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage 1.500v ..............
    DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 06-09-2009 at 02:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information