Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problem with Gigabyte GPU

Default Problem with Gigabyte GPU

Couple of months ago i bought Gigabyte 4870x2 (GV-R487X2-2GH-B) graphic card
    and i was very happy with it. Untill recently i decided to upgrade my computer and got new mobo and memory upgrade.
    Since then every time i start any 3D application, any game or 3D benchmark my video card starts making this LOUD buzzing sound.
    The buzzing sound stops at the very moment i close the 3D application. I can play games normally but the buzzing sound is really getting to me.
    The Buzzing sound varies from game to game, in some games the buzzing sound is very loud and some games it's just quieter but still noticeable.

I've updated my BIOS, i have the newest Catalyst drivers and i have checked that the sound doesn't come from my fans.

Before the upgrade i had this kind of setup:
    Asus P5k-E Wifi
    4gb Kingston 800mhz ValueRam

And now i have
    Asus Rampage Formula
    8gb Kingston HyperX 1066mhz

I have Core 2 Q9450 and Corsair 650W. My prosessor is at stock but i had to overclock the memory to get it to work. I haven't done any overclocking for the GPU.

The only thing i can come up with is that my PSU isn't feeding enough my precious GPU and that's why it gets all cranky on me.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Verb4tim; 06-12-2009 at 12:53 AM.

Default Re: Problem with Gigabyte GPU

Sounds like coil whine to me. A component on the power regulation section of the card is vibrating at a very high frequency and causing the sound. It may also be the fan, to test this you can safelt mannually stop the fan carefully with your finger while running a 3D app. if the noise stops, it's the fan. If it doesn't it'd the coils.

Loads of 8800 series cards had this exact problem, and I recently returned a BFG PSU because of it. It can be solved with either a replacement card, or coading the offending component with caulk (a white silicone like gunk that dries to the same consistency as glue from a hot glue gun, it stops the component vibrating). I've fixed a couple of old PSU's in this way, but I have basic understanding of electronics (A-level) so it wasn't to daunting.

I'd recommend you RMA the card, rather than fix it yourself. It must be noted that RMA's have been refused by some companies because of this issue. It's annoying, but the sound isn't an indication of a terminal problem. The card is still 100% electrically safe.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Thread Information